Predictions?? | Golden Skate

Predictions??

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Hi all, just thought with nationals around the corner it was time to start a prediction thread. I'm dreadful at this, but I'll take a shot...

Men

Well, Emmanuel Sandhu is back, at least according to the starting orders that SC posted. Honestly, though, I wonder how well he'll actually be able to keep up. The sport had changed since he last competed, and he wasn't terribly good at keeping it together back then either.

1. Patrick Chan (Duh. Even if he falls non stop, I don't think anyone can touch him.)
2. Kevin Reynolds
3. Elladj Balde (He seems to have made improvements this year.)
4. Liam Firus (I think he shows potential. Beautiful skating skills, one to watch.)
5. Jeremy Ten

Women

1. Kaetlyn Osmond (She's on fire, and her attitude will pull her through under pressure I think.)
2. Amelie Lacoste
3. Gabrielle Daleman (I know this one is out there, but I've seen this girl in person and she's a spitfire. I think she could make some waves here.)
4. Julianne Seguin
5. Alaine Chartrande

Pairs

I wonder whether or not Dube/Wolfe actually make it here. From what I understand her injury was serious. Even if they do, they probably won't be competition ready by January.

1. Duhamel/Radford (They've been fabulous all season.)
2. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch (These two really stepped it up this year. Not enough to beat a relatively clean D/R, but enough to secure 2nd I think.)
3. Lawrence/Swiegers (They've had a good year, but IMO aren't up to scratch with the other two.)
4. Purdy/Marinaro
5. Dube/Wolfe (If they come.)

Ice Dance

For those of you who haven't heard, Weaver/Poje are skipping nationals, and possibly the rest of the season. Kaitlyn broke her fibula in practice this week, and had since had surgery. That changes things in terms of Worlds spots. Just for reference, Gilles/Poirier are now eligible to compete at worlds, and Paul/Islam have met the ISU minimum scores at their senior B events and are thus also eligible.

1. Virtue/Moir (Again, duh.)
2. Paul/Islam (I know this isn't the popular choice, but they look fabulous this year, and I have hope that the judges will award their skills for once.)
3. Gilles/Poirier
4. Ralph/Hill (They're a hot mess this year. I doubt they can challenge the other two teams, and could possibly be surpassed I think.)
5. Orford/Williams (Could finish higher. They looked pretty good on the GP circuit.)

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
I think your spot on, however in dance G/P might claim silver. They did last year and I think it might happen again.
I feel kinda bad for ralph and hill. They had my favorite dance last season but this season it's like you said, they've been a hot mess and will get a 4th of 5th place finish.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Men

I must really be asleep, I originally started writing this from Reynolds on and left out CHAN..

1) Chan 2) Reynolds 3) Rogozine (although it could be Balde since Rogozine usually doesn't skate that well at Nationals)

I'm not going to predict Sandhu for a medal, since I have NO IDEA how he's going to skate.

Ladies

1) Osmond 2) Lacoste 3) No idea after this, since Najarro is out with injury. Maybe Adriana DeSanctis?

Pairs

1) Duhamel/Radford 2) Moore-Towers/Moscovitch 3) Lawrence/Swiegers

Dance

1) Virtue/Moir 2) Gilles/Poirier 3) Ralph/Hill (or Paul/Islam.. but I'm hoping it's Ralph/Hill, I really like their SD)

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Oops my mistake thanks for the correction.

ajjcanada

Rinkside
Re: Dube/Wolfe - I noticed that they are listed on the starting order as of Dec. 19th.....

I think Mitchell Gordon could end up in top 5 and upset some of the sr men - he beat Jeremy Ten at sectionals, and beat Elladj in the freeskate at Challenge. One to watch....

Ladies will be interesting too - I'd be surprised that Amelie can pull it together to beat Kaetlyn O., and then with the junior ladies coming up (Daleman, Seguin, Chartrand) , it will be about who is clean, and looks like she belongs as a senior lady rather than a junior lady..:popcorn:

hohoho

On the Ice
I am not convinced Lacoste will even podium. Nationals is Osmond's to lose. And she will have to mess up badly to not win. If the 3 junior girls (Seguin, Daleman, Chartrand) skate to their potential, Lacoste's PCS is the only part that may save her

My prediction:
1) Osmond
2) Daleman
3) Seguin
4) Lacoste
5) Chartrand

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
My prediction:

Men
1) Chan
2) Reynolds
3) Sandhu
4) Balde
5) Ten

Ladies
1) Osmond
2) Chartrand
3) Daleman
4) Seguin
5) Lacoste

figuristka

Medalist
Men
1 Chan
2 Reynolds
3 Balde
4 Ten
5 Rogozine
6 Sandhu
7 Nam Nguyen
8 Firus
9 Gordon

Ladies

1 Osmond
2 Lacoste
3 Daleman

Pairs
1 Duhamel/Radford 2 Moore-Towers/ Moscovich 3 Lawrence/Swiegers

Dance
1 Virtue/Moir
2 Paul/Islam
3 Gilles/Poirier

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Dance:

1. Virtue Moir
2. Paul Islam
3. Gilles Poirier

Pairs:

1. Duhamel Radford
2. Moore-Towers Moscovich
3. Lawrence Swiegers

Men:

1. Chan
2. Reyndolds
3. Sandhu

Ladies:

1. Osmond
2. LaCoste
3. Chartrand

fairly4

Medalist
men
1)chan
2) reynolds
3)don't know, blade, liam firus, rogzine, sandhu

dance
1)virute/moir
2)gilles and proirier
3)paul/islam

pair
1)duhamel/radford
2)moore-towers/moscovitch
3) wide open-dube/wolfe, purdy & marino and bobek & harry

ladies
1)osmond
2)lacoste
3)charbonneau

Last edited:

laceup

On the Ice
Men: Chan, Reynolds, Blade, Rogozine, Firus

Ladies: Osmond, Lacoste, Daleman, Chartrand, Seguin

Pair: Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Tower/Moscovitch, Purdy/Marinaro, Lawernce/Sweigers, Jones/Beharry

Dance: Virtue/Moir, Gillies/Poirier, Ralph/Hill, Paul/Islam, Orford/Williams

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Men

1 Chan
2 Reynolds
3 Balde

Ladies

1 Osmond
2 Lacoste
3 Daleman

Pairs

1 Moore-Towers/Moskovitch
2 Duhamel/Radford
3 Jones/Beharry

Ice Dance

1 Virtue/Moir
2 Gilles/Poirer
3 Paul/Islam

sbstien

Rinkside
Men:
1. Chan
2. Reynolds
3. Balde

Ladies:
1. Osmond
2. Daleman
3. Séguin

Pairs:
1. Moore-Towers/Moskovitch
2. Duhamel/Radford
3. Lawrence/Swiegers

Ice Dance:
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Gilles/Poirier
3. Ralph/Hill

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I find myself laughing at many of the dance predictions. More people have Ralph & Hill over Paul & Islam than have Paul & Islam over Giles & Poirier. Sorry people but the battle this year is between Paul & Islam and Gilles & Poirier, NOT Ralph & Hill and Paul & Islam. Based on their scores this season Paul & Islam will probably have to fall atleast 3 times to ever lose to Ralph & Hill, and their scores indicate they are a major threat to Gilles & Poirier too.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I agree , pangtongfan... Ralph and Hill have to worry about Orford and Williams , who, whether or not people like their programs ( I know some don't ) have really been improving .They've looked more cohesive every time I've seen them this year.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I find myself laughing at many of the dance predictions. More people have Ralph & Hill over Paul & Islam than have Paul & Islam over Giles & Poirier. Sorry people but the battle this year is between Paul & Islam and Gilles & Poirier, NOT Ralph & Hill and Paul & Islam. Based on their scores this season Paul & Islam will probably have to fall atleast 3 times to ever lose to Ralph & Hill, and their scores indicate they are a major threat to Gilles & Poirier too.

Chances are that the reason for those predictions is that P/I only competed in Sr. B events this season, so most people haven't seen them yet. Just for reference, their scores at those competitions were as follows:

US International Classic (2nd Place)

SD: 55.86
FD: 87.90
Total: 143.76

Nebelhorn Trophy (5th Place)

SD: 54.50
FD: 84.78
Total: 137.92

Ralph/Hill by comparison, were 7th at the Nebelhorn Trophy, and scored 126.60 at Skate Canada (SD: 50.00/ FD: 76.60). Needless to say they're going to have to make a massive improvement to challenge P/I at nationals. Also worthwhile to keep in mind that R/H beat P/I by very little last year, and P/I were battling multiple injuries at the time. Anything can happen, but I'd say the battle for silver and bronze is going to be G/P vs. P/I (remember G/P scored 136.74 at Skate Canada and beat P/I by a point or two at the US Classic, so they've been neck and neck all season.)

herios

Medalist
I agree , pangtongfan... Ralph and Hill have to worry about Orford and Williams , who, whether or not people like their programs ( I know some don't ) have really been improving .They've looked more cohesive every time I've seen them this year.
O/W were already neck in neck last year with P/I and R/H. I think people might get surprised by how well they will do.
I see not a clear favorite for the medals, other than gold. From second to fifth, anything could happen.

Last edited: