Predictions?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Predictions??

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It's unfortunate that whoever finishes in 5th place might be left off the National team, unless they decide to have 6 teams on the National team like they did the year V&M were injured (including Weaver and Poje).

colleen o'neill

Medalist
/\ Anything else would be most unfair.

... It should be that anything could happen from 2- 6 . I just worry that , beginning at last year's championships, SC has already been piling eggs into the G/P basket .

ETA: With Dube/Wolfe out , will someone else draw in and if so who ?

I don't like these really small fields in pairs and dance ...but I'm glad they're too small to split , since SC is still doing that with Men's and Women's competition.

Last edited:

trains

On the Ice
I might be wrong but I don't think there are any more Canadian senior dance or pairs teams...

callalily

On the Ice
I don't like these really small fields in pairs and dance

True, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. It seems that the "journeymen" seniors are not competing. That's sad in a way, but they would not have had international opportunities. In the past, when there were three flights in senior dance, the skaters in the first flight never moved up much, and few of the second flight skaters ever moved up into real contention, because the top juniors were always better skaters and overtook them immediately upon moving to senior. So those first flight dancers (positions 11-15, say) were seniors who simply enjoyed competing, I suppose, which is great if they can afford it and love the sport, but it's depth and quality at the junior and novice levels that feeds the national team. It would be nice to see more teams out there, though - it adds to the richness of the event.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Canada has 3 slots for Men at London Worlds, right? Then my prediction/dream podium is:
1. Patrick Chan :yes:
2. Kevin Reynolds :party:
3. Elladj Balde :cool:

However, the skater I will be rooting the most at this competition in particular is Sandhu!
Go Eman!!! :rock:

hohoho

On the Ice
So it seems looking at the thread that everyone is expecting the same winners - Chan, Osmond, V/M, and D/R. Chan and V/M will win by landslides as usual. Is Osmond and D/R at that level as well? will there be really any competition for the top of the podiums?

callalily

On the Ice
I think there is definitely competition in pairs. D/R will have to deliver their elements. (We saw what happened to M-T/M last year, unfortunately.) If M-T/M really bring it and D/R falter, M-T/M could take the title. Osmond has been skating really well, she should be able to win, but she's so young - you never know when nerves can be a factor. Hopefully everyone can bring their best on the day.

hohoho

On the Ice
I think there is definitely competition in pairs. D/R will have to deliver their elements. (We saw what happened to M-T/M last year, unfortunately.) If M-T/M really bring it and D/R falter, M-T/M could take the title. Osmond has been skating really well, she should be able to win, but she's so young - you never know when nerves can be a factor. Hopefully everyone can bring their best on the day.

That is a good scenario, if (big if) everyone skates their best, who wins ladies/pairs? Can Lacoste catch Osmond? Can D/R stay ahead of M-T/M?

callalily

On the Ice
Right now IMO, D/R's "best" would slightly beat M-T/M's "best", and Osmond's best would beat Lacoste's. (But it's rare for everyone to skate their best.) The D/R vs M-T/M rivalry is more interesting to me, because I think both teams have room to grow and improve, and D/R's dominance is not assured. Amelie, unfortunately, is unlikely to make drastic improvements at this stage in her career.

ajjcanada

Rinkside
Contrary to those who think that Amelie will end off the podium for sure, I think the make-up of the ladies national team will be interesting. I think Osmond will be hard to beat if there aren't nerves for her, now that she is considered the favourite - will be interesting to see how she deals with that. However, 2nd to 5th will be a dog fight, if you take into account the contenders' recent results:
Daleman at Challenge: SP - 51.63; LP - 101.86 Total=153.49
Seguin at Challenge: SP - 53.37; LP - 103.65 Total=157.02
Chartrand at Challenge: SP - 50.25; LP - 98.48 Total=148.73
Lacoste at Skate Canada: SP - 53.81; LP - 97.63 Total=151.44

Hope they all skate up to the challenge....:popcorn:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
So far , Osmond has seemed to be impervious to nerves , or at least be able to turn them into a positive force when she takes the ice.... but she's never been in the position of being the favourite at this level before. I hope she's able to just ride it .( Her demeanor reminds me a bit of a young Kurt Browning ).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@DylanMoscovitch has tweeted these "fighting words":
7 days until redemption.
9:26 AM - 11 Jan 13​

The top Canadian pairs all are so likeable. :)
I wish that every team could win.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As much as I wish Sandu well I don't think he has had enough training time or resources to compete at the elite. He should make top ten but without an axel or quad and diminished spins (scarey actually) he has only had a month to improve. Amazing for how little time and resources and I wish him well. A solid Sandu is not a bad no. 2 man!!! Hear the sarcasm because if he could regain the form and skate cleanly we all know he would be a threat for at least top 5 in the world but who knows what has happened with time. Maybe Mira Leung will return too (wink wink :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is a stab in the dark:

Men

Chan
Reynolds
Rogozoine

women

Osmond
Lacoste
Some very luck skater :) Charobnneau?

Pairs

Duhamel Radford
Moore-Towers/Moscovitch/
Lawrence/Swiegers

Dance

Virtue/Moir
Gilles/Poirier
paul/islam

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It looks like in the men those who make the top three other than Chan and I am not sure if Reynolds has qualified scorewise but the third guy will be under the gun to meet the minimum score requirement.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It looks like in the men those who make the top three other than Chan and I am not sure if Reynolds has qualified scorewise but the third guy will be under the gun to meet the minimum score requirement.

IIRC Reynolds has made the qualifying scores for Worlds. I'm not sure about Rogozine, but I think Balde only has one of them.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
My predictions

Men
1. Patrick Chan
2. Kevin Reynolds
3. Ellajd Balde
4. Liam Firus
5. Jeremy Ten

Chan wil win by a BIG margin - no contest. Reynolds should be okay for silver, if he can hit some quads. Bronze is more open, but I'm guessing Balde.

Ladies
1. Kaetlyn Osmond
2. Amelie Lacoste
3. Gabrielle Daleman
4. Julianne Seguin
5. Alaine Chartrand

Osmond is clear favorite for gold. Lacoste could take silver, if she doesn't make too many mistakes, but the youngsters could knock her off the podium.

Pairs
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
3. Lawrence/Swiegers
4. Purdy/Marinaro
5. Jones/Beharry

Duhamel/Radford are favorites, but Moore-Towers/Moscovitch could take the title if they skate strong and D/R make some big mistakes.

Ice Dance
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Gilles/Poirier
3. Paul/Islam
4. Ralph/Hill
5. Orford/Willaims

Virtue/Moir will take the title, no doubt. Silver is between Gilles/Poirier and Paul/Islam; I think Paul/Islam will take silver if they're clean, but I don't think they will be. Ralph/Hill is off the podium and will maybe get some comp from Orford/Williams for 4th place.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Men
1. Patrick Chan (Any doubt?:biggrin: the question is how clean can he be)
2. Kevin Reynolds (Kevin actual has made some progress in his skating skills, but not enough? or something is still not right:scratch:)
3. Ellajd Balde/Jeremy Ten (J10 has a big PCS cusion, approximately 2 jumps in the total score? the outcome would really depend how many jumps they can pull off)
5. Andrei Rogozoine (for some reason, he always screwed up nationals, would it help to skate at home this time?)
6. Liam Firus (besides the big jumps, he needs to work on stamina and spins)
Hey, don't forget, Sandhu is here!:popcorn: I doubt he can crack in top 5 without a proper coach, but always interesting to watch.

Ladies
1. Kaetlyn Osmond
2. Amelie Lacoste
Najarro is not here, so it's quite difficult to pick from the rest...some has the skating, some has the jumps...

Pairs
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
3. Lawrence/Swiegers
Sigh, Dube/Wolfe retired:cry:

Ice Dance
1. Virtue/Moir (Waiting to see the reworked SD...)
2. Gilles/Poirier or Paul/Islam (I saw many people wishing them well, me2:eek::)
4. Ralph/Hill or Orford/Willaims
Very close contest in dance...

nadster

Final Flight
IIRC Reynolds has made the qualifying scores for Worlds. I'm not sure about Rogozine, but I think Balde only has one of them.

Rogozine has made the standard fully ( based on skates from last season ). Balde has made the SP requirement but still has to make the FS requirement.

It is interestesting as Rogozine tends to struggle at nationals. Personally I think Balde will finish 3rd at nationals unless Rogozine brings his best there ( which he has never done to this point ).

Reginald

Match Penalty
Pairs
1. Duhamel/Radford

Dance
1. Virtue/Moir (Easiest prediction I've ever made)

Men
1. The Holy Patrick Chan

Ladies
1. Osmond
2. Alexe Gilles