Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating 'basics' on hockey skates?

Rinkside

Figure Skating 'basics' on hockey skates?

Hi all
    This is my first post, so if it's in the wrong place I'm sorry. I would like perform some basic skills but only have a pair of hockey skates which are quite old and blunt and with one loose blade! I'm wondering if there is anything stopping me from using them to learn basics. I've been watching some skaters doing what I think are called 3 turns and I can do them very slowly and poorly (3 out of the 4 possible forward versions). Can they be used for one footed spins or do I need the flat of the blade for this? I would love some proper skates but can't afford them at this juncture and can't afford to get much ice time either but want to learns some of the cool skills that I see from the figure skaters.
    Thank you all for your time.

Best
    s

just call me K or Art jockey
    Hockey skates in general are just fine for a lot of skills. You can also do spins on them. Hockey skates more or less have the same grind and edges like figure skates. However, I would say you should at least get that blade fixed and get a good sharp grind on it. Ask for a medium grind to start with not the super shallow grinds some hockey skaters prefer.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by skirunner View Post
    I'm wondering if there is anything stopping me from using them to learn basics.
    Just the loose blade and dull edges Once those are fixed they should be fine for a while... if you progress to where you want to start trying low level freestyle elements, like jumps and one foot spins then you may want to change to figure skates, but you could work on moves in the field through a fairly high level in just hockey skates.

Rinkside
    Thank you so much. It is encouraging to hear that. I note also that my post has moved to klutz corner, quite apt!
    s

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's what a really great skater can do on hockey skates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXg-Jzetgi0

Kurt Browning 1997

Welcome to Golden Skate skirunner!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Kurt Browning 1997

I wonder if his skate from this year in hockey skates is on youtube?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Kurt Browning 1997

Thanks! Love the footage. He makes it look easy. I still wonder about spins, though - the fact that he did it two-footed inclines me to believe it may be troublesome?
    Thank you for the welcome.
    Cheers
    s

Toni, do you recall what song he was skating to on hockey skates this year? There are no search results for

Kurt Browning hockey, this year

on youtube, unfortunately.

Possibly somehow has uploaded it with the song title & not mentioned the skates.

off the top of my head, no, but I do believe Teenes has that info (and pics) on his "official unofficial" site http://www.kurtfiles.com I'm on my phone on my way to bed or i'd look it up myself (the name anyway).

On the Ice
    very cool video of Kurt doing freestyle skating tricks,-))) if you want to do something like that, there are plenty of You Tube videos of skaters doing freestyle tricks on hockey skates. But please get your skates fixed before practising any of them.....perhaps you can find some freestylers at your rink or ask around whether there are any around...happy skating;-)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by TarAncalime View Post
    very cool video of Kurt doing freestyle skating tricks,-))) if you want to do something like that, there are plenty of You Tube videos of skaters doing freestyle tricks on hockey skates. But please get your skates fixed before practising any of them.....perhaps you can find some freestylers at your rink or ask around whether there are any around...happy skating;-)
    Thanks. I have no desire to rip it up like these guys; I am very keen, however to get a bit more proficient at the very basics, starting with these 3 turn things (I started with a counter rotation swivel type movement but it felt rather forced or unnatural, so I'm tending to attempt them more rounded with an unweighting at the turn. Anyway, will keep trying). Hope my skates last a bit longer!
    Cheers
    s

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    I'm a figure skating coach and I can do all the basic skills in hockey skates and we expect the same from the kids. One foot spins are possible, but forward spins are more difficult that back spins opposite to the difficulty in figure skates. The only thing that is exponentially difficult in hockey skates is listed jumps, but you should have no problem mastering basic figure skating skills in hockey skates. I'd buy new ones though. Get them second hand, with a proper edge and a blade that's attached. A decent pair can be bought second hand for around $30, so much cheaper than figure skates.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    I'm a figure skating coach and I can do all the basic skills in hockey skates and we expect the same from the kids. One foot spins are possible, but forward spins are more difficult that back spins opposite to the difficulty in figure skates. The only thing that is exponentially difficult in hockey skates is listed jumps, but you should have no problem mastering basic figure skating skills in hockey skates. I'd buy new ones though. Get them second hand, with a proper edge and a blade that's attached. A decent pair can be bought second hand for around $30, so much cheaper than figure skates.
    Thank you. This is good to know. As for new skates, well, I live in Australia, so bargain second hand kit is not an option, unfortunately. Thank you all for the responses; time now to just get stuck in!
    s

There's ebay and craigslist although the shipping could be

Rinkside
    can anyone point me to some quality youtube clips on 3 turns and spins explanations? or perhaps there is another resource in written form for me to peruse and absorb. thanks in advance.
    s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast