Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Figure Skating 'basics' on hockey skates?

Custom Title
    Here are some how-to clips on threes. I haven't watched them through so I can't vouch for their quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY6-MAb1Wns
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ExY1gLQBHY

On hockey skates (he calls them "inside" or "outside" based on the backward edge he ends up on, figure skaters name them by the entry edge):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0ko8N3Lno

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    great! this one is good. exactly what i wanted. smooth turns, no exaggerated jerks. beautiful.
    s

Rinkside
    Perhaps someone could recommend a good text on figure skating skill development (including figures). I am interested in older treatises in particular with well written instruction on techniques/biomechanics. I am better at learning through words than through pictures. Perhaps there is an old classic that is a gold standard reference?
    Thank you
    skirunner

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Just a note if you're learning in hockey skates and using figure skating material to learn, the balance points on the different blades are not the same. Hockey blades tend to have a balance point more centred than figure skates due to its extreme rocker and lack of toe picks. So just be careful. It's still possible, but I've taken some nasty falls in hockey skates because I tried to balance where I would in figure skates.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    Just a note if you're learning in hockey skates and using figure skating material to learn, the balance points on the different blades are not the same. Hockey blades tend to have a balance point more centred than figure skates due to its extreme rocker and lack of toe picks. So just be careful. It's still possible, but I've taken some nasty falls in hockey skates because I tried to balance where I would in figure skates.
    so, i'm assuming the balance point on figure skates is further back? that would make skating more difficult, no?
    or are you saying i would have more fun if i lashed out and bought figures?
    s

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    The balance point on both blades changes depending on what you're trying to do. The balance point on a pair of figure skates is usually more forward than in hockey skates, but it can be shifted to more extremely towards the toe or heel without falling down because it's less rockered. The two best examples are a two foot jump and a one foot spin. In figure skates a two foot jump pushes up right off the toe. In hockey skates you can't really push up farther than off the ball of your foot, just behind the toe. A one foot spin in figure skates is done on the ball of your foot. In hockey skates it's almost the middle of your blade.

I'm defiantly not saying that you should get figure skates. Hockey skates are perfectly good for what you're trying and I always have a blast in my hockey skates. I'm just giving you a heads up to avoid some potentially painful falls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2