Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I have just obtained that version! The one with Rosalind Ehle and Colin Firth? I can't wait to watch it. I've seen the Keira Knightley version, which is good, and of course the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson one, from about 1940, which is splendid. Olivier as a young man was drop-dead gorgeous and had a great ear for romantic comedy.
For me Colin Firth IS Mark Darcy.

My husband and I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" last night. It's fun for my husband because he actually works at a savings and loan. It's not as homey as the one in the movie -- but the whole scene where George Bailey says "your money is in so-and-so's house!" is quite true. It's quite an old school institution -- it didn't do the subprime lending when that was trendy and they don't sell their paper so you actually know who to talk to regarding your mortgage.

The DVD came with some featurettes. One interesting tidbit was that the movie was actually not very successful when it was released, but when the copyright holders failed to renew the rights accidentally in the 1970s, that's when television stations started airing it and got the status it now has today.