Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favorite Christmas/Holiday movies?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I have just obtained that version! The one with Rosalind Ehle and Colin Firth? I can't wait to watch it. I've seen the Keira Knightley version, which is good, and of course the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson one, from about 1940, which is splendid. Olivier as a young man was drop-dead gorgeous and had a great ear for romantic comedy.
    For me Colin Firth IS Mark Darcy.

My husband and I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" last night. It's fun for my husband because he actually works at a savings and loan. It's not as homey as the one in the movie -- but the whole scene where George Bailey says "your money is in so-and-so's house!" is quite true. It's quite an old school institution -- it didn't do the subprime lending when that was trendy and they don't sell their paper so you actually know who to talk to regarding your mortgage.

The DVD came with some featurettes. One interesting tidbit was that the movie was actually not very successful when it was released, but when the copyright holders failed to renew the rights accidentally in the 1970s, that's when television stations started airing it and got the status it now has today.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I love Christmas Story and the 24 hour marathon of it.

I love the George C. Scott's Christmas Carol.

It's a Wonderful Life

Miracle on 34th Street

Last night they had Sound of Music on ...love it...though not a Christmas story.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    For me Colin Firth IS Mark Darcy.

My husband and I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" last night. It's fun for my husband because he actually works at a savings and loan. It's not as homey as the one in the movie -- but the whole scene where George Bailey says "your money is in so-and-so's house!" is quite true. It's quite an old school institution -- it didn't do the subprime lending when that was trendy and they don't sell their paper so you actually know who to talk to regarding your mortgage.

The DVD came with some featurettes. One interesting tidbit was that the movie was actually not very successful when it was released, but when the copyright holders failed to renew the rights accidentally in the 1970s, that's when television stations started airing it and got the status it now has today.
    I love the way TV, video, and DVD have given so many movies a second life. I'm glad all the principal actors were still alive when things turned around, so they could bask in the affection that fans had for the film.

Tell Mr. P. it's great to hear about an institution like his. I know someone on another site whose mother worked for a credit union, and that's another good kind of savings institution. They stay "within the fold," so everyone knows who's involved.

Medalist
    White Christmas

We've seen "White Christmas" as the musical and the movie. Really liked both!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
    White Christmas
    How could I have forgotten? Shame on me. And there's also the earlier movie that served as a springboard for this one, Holiday Inn, which is where the song "White Christmas" came from. I prefer the first movie for one reason: along with Bing Crosby, it stars Fred Astaire. (Two of the most magical words in Hollywood to me.) Holiday Inn takes place all through the year; the concept is an inn that opens only for the holidays.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    For more "recent" ones....

I loved Elf
    So did I!!! I loved the story, and Will Ferrell was so convincing! You genuinely did feel sorry for him when he found out the truth!

Speaking of Will Ferrell, for those that can receive BBC1, “Blades Of Glory” is being shown at midnight GMT tonight.

Not exactly a Christmas movie (as far as I know!), but it’s being shown today, so hopefully that will qualify it for this thread rather than starting a new one!

So, bearing in mind that, generally speaking, I like Will Ferrell films, I was wondering: should I tape it? Or is it the sort of film that a fan of the sport should avoid like the plague?!

Any advice (without giving away the whole story!) would be appreciated

CaroLiza_fan

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    So did I!!! I loved the story, and Will Ferrell was so convincing! You genuinely did feel sorry for him when he found out the truth!

Speaking of Will Ferrell, for those that can receive BBC1, “Blades Of Glory” is being shown at midnight GMT tonight.

Not exactly a Christmas movie (as far as I know!), but it’s being shown today, so hopefully that will qualify it for this thread rather than starting a new one!

So, bearing in mind that, generally speaking, I like Will Ferrell films, I was wondering: should I tape it? Or is it the sort of film that a fan of the sport should avoid like the plague?!

Any advice (without giving away the whole story!) would be appreciated

CaroLiza_fan
    It's just plain funny! This probably too late -- since it aired in Midnight your time. But I hope you do get to watch it -- it is hilarious and it include a bunch of skater cameos! (Sasha Cohen, Scott Hamilton, Brian Botaino, Peggy Flemming, Dorthy Hammil).

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Hey Mrs. P

Sorry about the late reply. I took a bit of time away from the forum, as I hadn’t finished watching the Russian Nationals and didn’t want to accidentally see the results. But, I’m all caught up now!

Don’t worry, I decided to tape “Blades of Glory” anyway just in case it was good! Haven’t got round to watching it yet, though. But, I will!

Oooh - Cameos! That sounds good!!!

Thank you for the reply

CaroLiza_fan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2