2013 Europeans Entries | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013 Europeans Entries

mousepotato

On the Ice
Skates are absolutely allowed on domestic flights. I have never traveled outside the US with my skates so I don't know about their rules. I have always been allowed to carry them on and have never had a problem with TSA

Examples of prohibited items at passenger security checkpoints and carry-on bags include:

Baseball bats
Cricket bats
Golf clubs
Hunting knives
Pool cues
Ski poles
Bows and arrows
Hockey sticks
Martial arts devices
Scuba knives
Spear guns

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#11

deedee1

Record Breaker
So sorry to learn about all delayed flights and lost luggage for all the participants; skaters, coaches, judges and other officials. Especially Javier's skates... :no:
I sincerely hope all skaters can get themselves ready in time for the big comp both mentally, physically and equipment-wise.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Skates are absolutely allowed on domestic flights. I have never traveled outside the US with my skates so I don't know about their rules. I have always been allowed to carry them on and have never had a problem with TSA

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#11

Ah, but you are perhaps unaware of the complete history. For many years after 9/11, skates (well, the blades anyway) were indeed prohibited from carry-on luggage. It was only later that the TSA changed these rules (at least for domestic flights) to allow skates in the cabin. Even now, there are many TSA stations in the USA that refuse to believe this is so, and will refuse passage on the grounds they are potentially dangerous weapons. Regardless of what you quote from the rule book....but that's a digression from the thread.

Outside the USA, you'll find that most countries still prohibit blades from hand luggage. Some skaters resort to what they feel is a more reliable method than trusting their airline, and use international courier shipping by FedEx or DHL. Expensive though, has Customs implications, and not foolproof.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Ah, but you are perhaps unaware of the complete history. For many years after 9/11, skates (well, the blades anyway) were indeed prohibited from carry-on luggage. It was only later that the TSA changed these rules (at least for domestic flights) to allow skates in the cabin. Even now, there are many TSA stations in the USA that refuse to believe this is so, and will refuse passage on the grounds they are potentially dangerous weapons. Regardless of what you quote from the rule book....but that's a digression from the thread.

Outside the USA, you'll find that most countries still prohibit blades from hand luggage. Some skaters resort to what they feel is a more reliable method than trusting their airline, and use international courier shipping by FedEx or DHL. Expensive though, has Customs implications, and not foolproof.

As I said, I don't travel with my skates outside of the US so I don't care what the rules are since they don't apply to me. But the US has allowed skates for at least 7 years now as 9-11 happened over 11 years ago. Many rules in regards to what can be taken on a flight have changed for the better and worse; but skates are no longer on that list (if they ever were) as I have never been unable to carry them on domestically.

If a TSA doesn't know the rules, that is to be dealt with at the time of boarding. Rules are rules and can’t be arbitrarily set by the TSA if the FAA says otherwise.

Anyway for someone to say “you haven't been able to take skates in hand luggage for years!!!” is simply not true as a blanket statement.

Kalina

On the Ice
Well, this is a Europeans thread. :p

Exactly.
A friend of mine forgot a dinner knife in her bag, and had to remove it when she boarded on the plane a few months ago. The kind of knife that won't cut even if you try to stab someone with it, child-proof etc. Obviously skates are much more dangerous. :)

Country
Russia
Sotnikova today arrived to Zagreb with no problem (her skates and other luggage also arrived).

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Artur Verner posted on his site that P/B will give a press-conference where they will announce the end of their career due to the partner's serious injury.

THIS DUDE IS EXTREMELY IRRELIBLE SOURCE!!! Don't be in a hurry to believe it until you hear this news officially.

At the same time the said persona was the very first who announced the world about Dai-Morozov renunion.

UPD. A. Verner deleted the said message on his site. Way to go, dude! :biggrin:

Last edited: