Thread: Christmas Baking (Yum)

Hybrid View

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Christmas Baking (Yum)

I'm doing mine-not as much stuff as some other years, but still doing it.

I did make my dark fruitcake. I don't think we could celebrate Christmas without it.

I made currant jam thumbprint cookies and lemon love notes, and tomorrow I'll be making pumpkin pie & mince pie.

But I really should do one other type of cookies, and I'm not feeling anything but tired and indecisive.

What's your favorite Christmas cookie?

Custom Title
    Oh, goody, a Doris cooking thread! I still have your fruitcake recipes from last year.

Hmmm. Favorite cookie....In the non-Christmas world, it's chocolate chip. But for a Christmas cookie, a regular classic sugar cookie in a shape is often the most tempting. What about gingerbread? Whoever my Secret Santa was at work gave me a cellophane-wrapped set of rectangular slabs labeled "Gingerbread House." I chuckled when I realized that the label says Ikea. Makes perfect sense, when you think of it, for a Swedish furniture and home supplies company to sell gingerbread "housing." Anyway, it reminded me that nothing says Christmas like gingerbread.

I suppose it wouldn't be practical for you to make truffles?

skating philosopher
    I love butter spritz cookies! Namely because we use the cookie press to make them into wreaths, trees and other Christmas theme shapes. We dye the dough green, so it's true to form!

Not baking per se, but my husband's boss always makes frosted covered pretzel sticks with red and green sprinkles and I can't stop eating them!

Custom Title
    An old friend of mine always sends me cranberry bread. I bring some of it to the office to share, and since I am not known as a sterling cook, I always label it "Imported from Pittsburgh" so people know that it's a treat that should not be resisted.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    An old friend of mine always sends me cranberry bread. I bring some of it to the office to share, and since I am not known as a sterling cook, I always label it "Imported from Pittsburgh" so people know that it's a treat that should not be resisted.
    Oh that's so awesome! I love quick breads! That sounds sooo good. My husband made this almond bread for his office Christmas potluck and it was great -- so moist!

Custom Title
    Almond; what a wonderful flavor choice! I can just imagine the aroma as it baked. Mmmmm!

This friend once made tomato preserves. It was a delicious texture, far more fruitlike than one normally thinks of tomato as being (though of course it is botanically a fruit), and it was splendid on ordinary yeast bread. Tomato also makes a great moistening ingredient in quick bread, plus of course adding a splendid color to the proceedings. I have only seen this made, so I don't have a recipe. Any fancier cooking or baking that I do is generally under strict supervision. Fortunately, I have a lot of talented friends and loved ones who are capable of such supervision. One of my friends grew up in a traditional home in Bulgaria and actually has a few dishes she makes by taking two handfuls of flour, a pinch of salt, and so on--no measuring implements. This I'll never learn how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    But I really should do one other type of cookies, and I'm not feeling anything but tired and indecisive.

What's your favorite Christmas cookie?
    I don't celebrate Christmas, but I do love cookies! (who doesn't, right? ) Therefore, I'm not sure what would count as Christmasy cookies, but I have favorite recipes for pecan/golden syrup cookies, speculaas, Nutella chocolate cookies, butter cookies and various types of chocolate chip cookies - if anyone wants links, I'll be happy to post them.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What are speculaas? They sound interesting!
    Also the Nutella cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What are speculaas? They sound interesting!
    Also the Nutella cookies.
    Speculaas are Dutch spice cookies (also found under slightly different names in other neighboring countries, but for me they're Dutch ). This is the version I make - can't vouch for authenticity but all the Dutch members of my family seem to approve of them.

And these are the Nutella cookies - I don't add hazelnuts, though, and I find that my batch sizes are smaller even when I don't eat much dough.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Instead of doing what I'm supposed to be doing I'm here....visiting with all of you.

Anyhow I made cake balls and now I have to dunk in chocolate. There a little bit of work but ohhhh so good.

http://amandakjones.hubpages.com/hub...ake-Cake-Balls

I dunk in chocolate and then drizzle white chocolate and vise versa dunk in white and you get the gist.

I'm going to make oatmeal raisin cookies and peanut butter cookies later this evening.

Ok time for me to run and start dunking.

Custom Title
    ooh, ooh, ooooooh.

Dunking in chocolate...I'm having fever just reading the words. It makes me want to go and melt something chocolaty and start dunking.