Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki says next season will be her last

The good thing with her is she is already a World Bronze Medalist, 3x Grand Prix Final Medalist, 4CC Silver Medalist, multiple ISU GP Champion and medalist. Olympian. Survivor of Anorexia.

She is a star! I do hope she could continue beyond Sochi
    Whatever would make her happy , would make me really happy as well!

She is seriously one of the major contenders for the World and 4CC Championships!

---------------------------------------------------

A rising voice after her announcement is: Should she have a foreign "super" coach to give her the political edge and super choreography.
    People were suggesting that she should be co-coached by Frank Carroll with choreography from Lori, Brian Orser, Tarasova or Morozov. I think it may be a good move, but Hiroshi has been absolutely amazing as well.

I only wish her all the best! Nonetheless, I still consider Akiko one of the greatest figure skaters of all-time! She may not have the amount of medals as Michelle and Mao- but her beautiful heart, passion and musicality would forever make me love and admire her for all time!

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    She probably is safe to make the team considering Japanese consider more than the results from Nationals. I guess the only danger would be if Ando comes back (unlikely) and she had a bad skate at Nationals and Asada, Ando, and Murakami were the top 3, and Murakami had started to produce some decent international results by then.
    I agree with this. I don't think Ando will come back, and I didn't see any body at nats who looked promising for Sochi, except for Mao, Kanako & Akiko.

Custom Title
    It's always sad to see a great skater leave our sport, though it wasn't entirely unexpected given her age in the sport. Akiko has a spark was she skates and is one of the few skaters who can exude playfulness and make skating look fun.

Not surprised by the announcement, but I hope she'll continue to be involved in the sport. her!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    She probably is safe to make the team considering Japanese consider more than the results from Nationals. I guess the only danger would be if Ando comes back (unlikely) and she had a bad skate at Nationals and Asada, Ando, and Murakami were the top 3, and Murakami had started to produce some decent international results by then.
    I don't think so. JSF will try to send Miyahara to Sochi instead of Suzuki if Ando doesn't come back. I expect to see some puzzling scores in GPS next season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    I don't think so. JSF will try to send Miyahara to Sochi instead of Suzuki if Ando doesn't come back. I expect to see some puzzling scores in GPS next season.
    Mmm we will see. I dont think either Murakami or Miyahara are bigger threats internationally than Suzuki though so that would be a mistake. Suzuki is a good back up plan for a medal if Asada bombs, even if Suzuki is a long shot for an Olympic medal by Sochi probably.

Custom Title
    A tough panel would absolutely slaughter Miyahara.

Why, what motive would they have for sending Miyahara? She hasn't even been on the GP series?

Custom Title
    Sad to hear but we know she might retire after Sochi. I just hope she won some major title before she retire. She was always way under marked.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Will she be even age eligible for Sochi??? She looks so tiny and I can't believe how tiny and tight her jumps are and she was able to rotate fully for triple jumps.

Medalist
    In order to compete at the 2014 Olympics, skaters must have turned 15 before July 1, 2013. Miyahara will turn 15 on March 26, 2013.

Edit: changed "by" to "before."
    Last edited by altuixde; 12-26-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Custom Title
    No surprise - continuing her age, continuing her currentplacement, considering the competition in her own country let alone the world she would be wise.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I agree, but at least JSF can control the judge panel at Nationals. They were rather lenient to Miyahara this year while rather harsh on Suzuki. I don't understand how Asada's 2A+3T received +1.12 GOE while Suzuki's got "<".

They never intended to send Suzuki to Vancouver back in 2010. Mr. Nagakubo, Suzuki's main coach said an interview that when he saw the members of the judge panel at 2009 Nationals, he thought she was going to lose to Nakano. Look what happened to her this year's NHK Trophy.

JSF does not expect Miyahara to do well in Sochi, but want to give her an opportunity to skate in Olympics before her real one in Pyeongchang. They don't expect Suzuki to do well in either whether Asada bombs or not. What's important to them is that their favorites do well.

It's hard to predict, though. Once Miyahara enters puberty, she will have chronic underrotations as she already tends to underrotate now. The question is when.

It's hard to predict, though. Once Miyahara enters puberty, she will have chronic underrotations as she already tends to underrotate now. The question is when.
    Before 2018, for sure!

Let me start by saying Michelle Kwan is and always will be my favorite skater. I also, years ago, loved Janet Lynn. I've come to love Akiko over the last few seasons. She has such joy in her skating that she just draws me into the performance. I felt very sad that she ended up 4th at her Nationals. I am, however, really happy that she will go to 4CC and Worlds!

I read a translation of her and Dai's remarks in the video where she is crying and that is a little bit of a concern. She apparently said something like "it can't be fixed because I'm not in shape". Given her struggles with her eating disorder that seems scary to me. She will have time for a break now until 4CC and I hope she is able to take a rest and then work on conditioning and strengthening her 3T/3T. At Nationals she had so much trouble with her 3F and I don't really know why, but hopefully her coach (who I enjoy seeing interact with her) can help her with correcting her problem.

And, a BIG thanks to Altuixde for posting a link to an English translation of Akiko's blog. I had no idea a translation even existed. Thank you so very much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast