Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Suzuki says next season will be her last

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Akiko came on the scene later in her career but I will say she is definitely one of my all-time favorite performers. There are few skaters who exude as much happiness and joy as she does when she skates. You can actually see how much she loves to skate. She gives her all to her programs and her music and (even now) she's still very underrated.

I know she can't compete forever and at her "advanced age" you can't expect her body to hold up too much longer, though I must say she's done something right. Akiko has been competing as far back as 2002 (if not farther) and seems to have avoided any major injuries. That's a testament to her conditioning and her trainers. Still, with this new wave of skaters we'll experience post-Sochi, I think next season will be a great to make an exit.

I hope she sticks around, maybe as a choreographer. I love her to pieces and I am happy we'll get to see her for another season.

Medalist
    MFarone - You're welcome! :D

Akiko i the best these season-may she get the world gold she so deserves.

Banned
    sad to see Akiko go by but she has done enough and has reached her peak, she is not getting any younger but she she was a late bloomer
    how many can say they medalled in the GP and GPF at already 27 years old ?

Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    Let me start by saying Michelle Kwan is and always will be my favorite skater. I also, years ago, loved Janet Lynn. I've come to love Akiko over the last few seasons. She has such joy in her skating that she just draws me into the performance. I felt very sad that she ended up 4th at her Nationals. I am, however, really happy that she will go to 4CC and Worlds!

I read a translation of her and Dai's remarks in the video where she is crying and that is a little bit of a concern. She apparently said something like "it can't be fixed because I'm not in shape". Given her struggles with her eating disorder that seems scary to me. She will have time for a break now until 4CC and I hope she is able to take a rest and then work on conditioning and strengthening her 3T/3T. At Nationals she had so much trouble with her 3F and I don't really know why, but hopefully her coach (who I enjoy seeing interact with her) can help her with correcting her problem.

And, a BIG thanks to Altuixde for posting a link to an English translation of Akiko's blog. I had no idea a translation even existed. Thank you so very much.
    I personally think she may have a nagging injury. I do hope she would be all good for Worlds!

"it can't be fixed because I'm not in shape"

Can be an injury, another bout with anorexia or mental strength.

What tips can you give Akiko, so that she could achieve her goals?

Akiko has given all of us, some of the most beautiful performances ever!

Her nearly flawless "O" Program from 2012 NHK Trophy was exquisiteness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3