Suzuki says next season will be her last | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Suzuki says next season will be her last

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I don't think so. JSF will try to send Miyahara to Sochi instead of Suzuki if Ando doesn't come back. I expect to see some puzzling scores in GPS next season.

Mmm we will see. I dont think either Murakami or Miyahara are bigger threats internationally than Suzuki though so that would be a mistake. Suzuki is a good back up plan for a medal if Asada bombs, even if Suzuki is a long shot for an Olympic medal by Sochi probably.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think so. JSF will try to send Miyahara to Sochi instead of Suzuki if Ando doesn't come back. I expect to see some puzzling scores in GPS next season.

Why, what motive would they have for sending Miyahara? She hasn't even been on the GP series?

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Sad to hear but we know she might retire after Sochi. I just hope she won some major title before she retire. She was always way under marked.

altuixde

On the Ice
In order to compete at the 2014 Olympics, skaters must have turned 15 before July 1, 2013. Miyahara will turn 15 on March 26, 2013.

Edit: changed "by" to "before."

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No surprise - continuing her age, continuing her currentplacement, considering the competition in her own country let alone the world she would be wise.

mikeko666

Final Flight
A tough panel would absolutely slaughter Miyahara.

I agree, but at least JSF can control the judge panel at Nationals. They were rather lenient to Miyahara this year while rather harsh on Suzuki. I don't understand how Asada's 2A+3T received +1.12 GOE while Suzuki's got "<".

They never intended to send Suzuki to Vancouver back in 2010. Mr. Nagakubo, Suzuki's main coach said an interview that when he saw the members of the judge panel at 2009 Nationals, he thought she was going to lose to Nakano. Look what happened to her this year's NHK Trophy.

JSF does not expect Miyahara to do well in Sochi, but want to give her an opportunity to skate in Olympics before her real one in Pyeongchang. They don't expect Suzuki to do well in either whether Asada bombs or not. What's important to them is that their favorites do well.

It's hard to predict, though. Once Miyahara enters puberty, she will have chronic underrotations as she already tends to underrotate now. The question is when.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Let me start by saying Michelle Kwan is and always will be my favorite skater. I also, years ago, loved Janet Lynn. I've come to love Akiko over the last few seasons. She has such joy in her skating that she just draws me into the performance. I felt very sad that she ended up 4th at her Nationals. I am, however, really happy that she will go to 4CC and Worlds!

I read a translation of her and Dai's remarks in the video where she is crying and that is a little bit of a concern. She apparently said something like "it can't be fixed because I'm not in shape". Given her struggles with her eating disorder that seems scary to me. She will have time for a break now until 4CC and I hope she is able to take a rest and then work on conditioning and strengthening her 3T/3T. At Nationals she had so much trouble with her 3F and I don't really know why, but hopefully her coach (who I enjoy seeing interact with her) can help her with correcting her problem.

And, a BIG thanks to Altuixde for posting a link to an English translation of Akiko's blog. I had no idea a translation even existed. Thank you so very much.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Akiko came on the scene later in her career but I will say she is definitely one of my all-time favorite performers. There are few skaters who exude as much happiness and joy as she does when she skates. You can actually see how much she loves to skate. She gives her all to her programs and her music and (even now) she's still very underrated.

I know she can't compete forever and at her "advanced age" you can't expect her body to hold up too much longer, though I must say she's done something right. Akiko has been competing as far back as 2002 (if not farther) and seems to have avoided any major injuries. That's a testament to her conditioning and her trainers. Still, with this new wave of skaters we'll experience post-Sochi, I think next season will be a great to make an exit.

I hope she sticks around, maybe as a choreographer. I love her to pieces and I am happy we'll get to see her for another season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
sad to see Akiko go by but she has done enough and has reached her peak, she is not getting any younger but she she was a late bloomer
how many can say they medalled in the GP and GPF at already 27 years old ?

christinaskater

Medalist
Let me start by saying Michelle Kwan is and always will be my favorite skater. I also, years ago, loved Janet Lynn. I've come to love Akiko over the last few seasons. She has such joy in her skating that she just draws me into the performance. I felt very sad that she ended up 4th at her Nationals. I am, however, really happy that she will go to 4CC and Worlds!

I read a translation of her and Dai's remarks in the video where she is crying and that is a little bit of a concern. She apparently said something like "it can't be fixed because I'm not in shape". Given her struggles with her eating disorder that seems scary to me. She will have time for a break now until 4CC and I hope she is able to take a rest and then work on conditioning and strengthening her 3T/3T. At Nationals she had so much trouble with her 3F and I don't really know why, but hopefully her coach (who I enjoy seeing interact with her) can help her with correcting her problem.

And, a BIG thanks to Altuixde for posting a link to an English translation of Akiko's blog. I had no idea a translation even existed. Thank you so very much.

I personally think she may have a nagging injury. I do hope she would be all good for Worlds!