Thread: Favorite gift this year?

0 Not allowed!

Favorite gift this year?

Not that this is what it's all about but did anyone get a stand out gift (or two) this year?

We gave mom her own laptop this year and I think it's definitely the best one given at our house this year.

I'm pretty in love with the new camera flash I was given - and the Ipod dock (yeah I am way behind the times in technology).

Anyone else get something that they weren't expecting/love/etc?

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, yes. Someone gave me an emergency radio. Except for (miraculously) the phone, I was cut off from communication for a week during Sandy. I had flashlights and hot water bottles, but I had let my tiny battery radio get damaged by old batteries. Now I have this lovely hand-cranked radio that will get me through any tempest--which I hope I don't have to endure for a good long while. When I took the radio out of its wrappings, I burst out laughing with delight. Seldom have I received such an ingenious, perfectly thought out gift.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Actually, yes. Someone gave me an emergency radio. Except for (miraculously) the phone, I was cut off from communication for a week during Sandy. I had flashlights and hot water bottles, but I had let my tiny battery radio get damaged by old batteries. Now I have this lovely hand-cranked radio that will get me through any tempest--which I hope I don't have to endure for a good long while. When I took the radio out of its wrappings, I burst out laughing with delight. Seldom have I received such an ingenious, perfectly thought out gift.
    I put one of these on my wish list and my cousin got it for me. I did have a working radio, phone lines and internet via iphone access during Sandy. However, I wanted a hand crank one so I wouldn't have to worry as much about batteries. He said he wanted to buy one for himself....

My most surprising gift was a Roku box. However, I'm not sure if I really need it - i can already stream via my TiVo. I have to do some more research before I decide... Anyone have any input?

0 Not allowed!
    My father-in-law made me a shelf to put on my kitchen counter so I could have my favorite/most-used cookbooks within easy reach. It's really sturdy and I think it will prove quite useful. Currently I just pile up the cookbooks and for so long I wanted something where I could feel my cookbooks were in place without having to go ot my bookshelves, which were on the other side of the house.

0 Not allowed!
    For Chanukah, my husband surprised me with a Pandora bracelet (the woven one). He included a few charms, most notably a figure skate!

0 Not allowed!
    The "Figure skating - a history" book, wonderful! I've already read half of it!