Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Plushenko wins tenth title at Russian Nationals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,519

    0 Not allowed!

    News Plushenko wins tenth title at Russian Nationals

    Evgeni Plushenko won his tenth title at the 2013 Russian National Figure Skating Championships in Sochi. Sergei Voronov came in second, 12 points behind Plushenko, while Konstantin Menshov pulled up from sixth place to win the bronze.


    More on the Men's Long Program from Russian Nationals

  2. #2
    Idita-Rock-n-Roll Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,733

    0 Not allowed!
    This doesn't really surprise me - not that I think he in anyway does not deserve it. I don't think Plush would compete if he wasn't ready to lay it down.

  3. #3
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,760

    0 Not allowed!
    I love Plushenko but I think he can no longer compete with the top tier of men (Chan, Dai, Hanyu). The quality of his jumps, his choreography, and his transitions are nowhere near the top 3. I think that, because Sochi is in Russia, he could get PCS on par with those skaters with the home country scoring. However, he is going to lose a lot of ground to those guys on GOE of the jumps and spins.

  4. #4
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    42

    0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations !

    Really nice double New Year 's gift, being Russian champion for the 10th times, and being named Athlete of the year by poll again, beating soccer and tennis stars.

    Hope he will skate as long as he likes!

  5. #5
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,957

    0 Not allowed!
    No surprise, but I am a little disapointed he won't skate at world's. It's like he knows he has been passed by three Japanese men, Fernadez and a Canadian named Chan

  6. #6
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    175

    0 Not allowed!
    Congrats to Plushy's win!! 10th national title and 60th gold medal overall!!
    Last edited by yaya124; 12-27-2012 at 04:25 AM.

  7. #7
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,593

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    No surprise, but I am a little disapointed he won't skate at world's. It's like he knows he has been passed by three Japanese men, Fernadez and a Canadian named Chan
    He will face Fernandez at Euros anyway and the third Japanese man wont even go to Worlds(Kozuka ), unless you mean he is passed by Mura. For now he has the 4th personal total score and thats from Sheffield where his sp score sth like low 84 so maybe he is not top three but still quite competitive for Worlds.

    Thank you for the article!!!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,146

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I love Plushenko but I think he can no longer compete with the top tier of men (Chan, Dai, Hanyu). The quality of his jumps, his choreography, and his transitions are nowhere near the top 3. I think that, because Sochi is in Russia, he could get PCS on par with those skaters with the home country scoring. However, he is going to lose a lot of ground to those guys on GOE of the jumps and spins.
    Even with Olympics in Sochi he is not going to get 9s in PCS like Chan and Takahashi are easily capable of, or probably even high 8s like Hanyu is capable of. Not a chance.

  9. #9
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    42

    0 Not allowed!
    Plushenko has competed as no-name new comer, the underdog, or the-one-to-beat. Doesn't matter how others view his chances, when he steps on ice, he will be the one and the only Plushenko. That's what many people are paying to see

    Champions come and go, Plushenko stays.
    Last edited by lilywang; 12-28-2012 at 12:58 AM.

  10. #10
    Bona Fide Member plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,948

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Even with Olympics in Sochi he is not going to get 9s in PCS like Chan and Takahashi are easily capable of, or probably even high 8s like Hanyu is capable of. Not a chance.
    How much chance you gave him before Vancouver or Sheffield? If I right remember he beat Chan and Dai, too in Vancouver....

    This is the protocol of Sheffield

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec...2_protocol.pdf

  11. #11
    Tripping on the Podium Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921

    0 Not allowed!
    Congrats to Plushy!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,146

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    How much chance you gave him before Vancouver or Sheffield? If I right remember he beat Chan and Dai, too in Vancouver....

    This is the protocol of Sheffield

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec...2_protocol.pdf
    Perhaps you suffer from short term memory loss but Plushenko was actually the favorite going into Vancouver. That was at the all time low point in the history of mens skating where Evan Lysacek was crowned as World and Olympic Champion however, so even an aging and well past his prime Plushenko was extremely competitive at that point, fast forward 3 years and it might as well be a different planet of skating. None of the Worlds top men right now are from Europe except maybe Fernandez, although he wasnt one of the top last year. As for your last point Lysacek beat Chan and Dai in Vancouver, could he beat them now as well.

  13. #13
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,486

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Evgeni Plushenko won his tenth title at the 2013 Russian National Figure Skating Championships in Sochi. Sergei Voronov came in second, 12 points behind Plushenko, while Konstantin Menshov pulled up from sixth place to win the bronze.


    More on the Men's Long Program from Russian Nationals
    Well, of course he wins! Good going, Plushenko.

    I don't know whether at this point he's in contention for an international medal, but he's going to give it everything he has for as long as he can, and that alone should make for a memorable showing wherever he decides to compete. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Sochi. Hope he gets healthy for it so we can see him at his best!

  14. #14
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    264

    0 Not allowed!
    Another article in English here.

  15. #15
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,593

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Well, of course he wins! Good going, Plushenko.

    I don't know whether at this point he's in contention for an international medal, but he's going to give it everything he has for as long as he can
    He won Euros just a year ago and he is no worse now, I think his chances for a Euro medal are high.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •