Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Thread: Plushenko wins tenth title at Russian Nationals

  1. #16
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    42
    Plushenko has competed as no-name new comer, the underdog, or the-one-to-beat. Doesn't matter how others view his chances, when he steps on ice, he will be the one and the only Plushenko. That's what many people are paying to see

    Champions come and go, Plushenko stays.
    Last edited by lilywang; 12-28-2012 at 12:58 AM.

  2. #17
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Even with Olympics in Sochi he is not going to get 9s in PCS like Chan and Takahashi are easily capable of, or probably even high 8s like Hanyu is capable of. Not a chance.
    How much chance you gave him before Vancouver or Sheffield? If I right remember he beat Chan and Dai, too in Vancouver....

    This is the protocol of Sheffield

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec...2_protocol.pdf

  3. #18
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Congrats to Plushy!

  4. #19
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    Yes Olympia, I m going, it was not sure but i knew many people will go and i got jealous so I booked my ticket a month ago and I got all around ticket, so I ll be watching from pairs short

    my statistics so far are that every time I go to a competition Plushy wins

  5. #20
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,068
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Yes Olympia, I m going, it was not sure but i knew many people will go and i got jealous so I booked my ticket a month ago and I got all around ticket, so I ll be watching from pairs short

    my statistics so far are that every time I go to a competition Plushy wins
    I am glad that you are going seniorita, your reports are always so informative.

    You are Plushy's Good Luck Charm, maybe I will take you with me to Dai's competitions and see if
    your charms work for him.

  6. #21
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    Hmm, we can try, only time I ve seen Daisuke live is Worlds 2010

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,258
    I really admire Plushy for continuing on and am in awe of his quads so soon after surgery (and at age 30). But men's skating has gotten much better since 2010. No one could win without a quad now like Evan did. In fact, it will be difficult for anyone to win without three quads (total). And, against all odds given the scoring system, artistry has come to the forefront in the men's event. Both Dai and Patrick have really upped the ante on artistry. Plushenko skates with a ton of confidence and charisma, but his artistry consists of a lot of (in my view) extraneous arm movements. I can see Plush making the podium if he skates clean in Sochi. It is Russia, after all. But I don't see him getting the gold or even the silver.

  8. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    How much chance you gave him before Vancouver or Sheffield? If I right remember he beat Chan and Dai, too in Vancouver....

    This is the protocol of Sheffield

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec...2_protocol.pdf
    Perhaps you suffer from short term memory loss but Plushenko was actually the favorite going into Vancouver. That was at the all time low point in the history of mens skating where Evan Lysacek was crowned as World and Olympic Champion however, so even an aging and well past his prime Plushenko was extremely competitive at that point, fast forward 3 years and it might as well be a different planet of skating. None of the Worlds top men right now are from Europe except maybe Fernandez, although he wasnt one of the top last year. As for your last point Lysacek beat Chan and Dai in Vancouver, could he beat them now as well.

  9. #24
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    Plushenko was the favorite in a weak field in Vancouver but he was less prepared than now. The Plushenko of Euros 2012 would have won Evan of 2010, even Plushenko of Euros 2010 would have beat him but he skated worse than that. And I think there was a hype for Evan, Abott, Lambiel, Chan and Daisuke too for Vancouver.
    Nevertheless this season is a new turn and I dont think he can beat Hanyu and Dai and Chan when total clean neither Fernandez, but having the 4th total score means that it is not that easy to have two clean programs, for people above him Chan's best is from worlds 2011, Dai's from Team trophy and Hanyu's from gpf, Hanyu and Fernandez 's Lp have scored at Gpf a little above his European free score. Fernandez 's best sp score is 86 sth. And Euros are in less than a month so we can see.

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushenko was the favorite in a weak field in Vancouver but he was less prepared than now. The Plushenko of Euros 2012 would have won Evan of 2010
    I agree, and he should have taken his opportunity there. That was his opportunity to win a 2nd Olympic Gold, which is clearly slammed shut forever now. If he wins the bronze in Sochi (which is highly unlikely but not enitrely impossible) it would be a huge victory for him at this stage, and require a phenomenal effort by him and some crashy performances by atleast 2 of the major favorites.

    BTW the guys you mentioned dont have to skate cleanly to beat Plushenko. At the GP final nobody was skating cleanly, people were slipping and falling all over the place like you suggest with their content they might well do, and the top 3 LPs still all outscored not only Plushenkos Europeans LP score, but his own Nationals LP score which was clearly inflated (all Nationals scores are inflated, and Voronovs scores leaves no doubt) with a clean skate.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 12-28-2012 at 03:03 PM.

  11. #26
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    I dont think Plush had a clean skate at Nationals, an iffy quad, no 3-3 combo,UR or downgraded -I m not sure- on 3z-2t, low levels on spins, and his score was even less than Euros, with inflated pcs yes. And I dont remember Dai, Hanyu and Fernandez falling all over the place in GPF, Daisuke fell on the first quad, who else? Nationals aside, it was supposed to be of their best performances. Chan's score was lower anyway.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If he wins the bronze in Sochi (which is highly unlikely but not enitrely impossible) it would be a huge victory for him at this stage, and require a phenomenal effort by him and some crashy performances by atleast 2 of the major favorites.
    I don't disagree that bronze is probably the best Plushy could do at Sochi, but does he agree? I don't think he will come back at all if he doesn't think he can win the gold medal He already has the gold, more medals are meaningless for him unless he wins another gold. I personally think Plushy will retire after Europeans--but we shall see.

  13. #28
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I really admire Plushy for continuing on and am in awe of his quads so soon after surgery (and at age 30). But men's skating has gotten much better since 2010. No one could win without a quad now like Evan did. In fact, it will be difficult for anyone to win without three quads (total). And, against all odds given the scoring system, artistry has come to the forefront in the men's event. Both Dai and Patrick have really upped the ante on artistry. Plushenko skates with a ton of confidence and charisma, but his artistry consists of a lot of (in my view) extraneous arm movements. I can see Plush making the podium if he skates clean in Sochi. It is Russia, after all. But I don't see him getting the gold or even the silver.
    Do you know at the age of 16 Plush was the youngest skater to ever receive a perfect score of 6.0? He received a total of 75 6.0s before the new judging system was introduced, most of them are the artistry points. He got more 6.0 like Michelle Kwan. Kwan has 57 Plushy has cca 70

    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Perhaps you suffer from short term memory loss but Plushenko was actually the favorite going into Vancouver. That was at the all time low point in the history of mens skating where Evan Lysacek was crowned as World and Olympic Champion however, so even an aging and well past his prime Plushenko was extremely competitive at that point, fast forward 3 years and it might as well be a different planet of skating. None of the Worlds top men right now are from Europe except maybe Fernandez, although he wasnt one of the top last year. As for your last point Lysacek beat Chan and Dai in Vancouver, could he beat them now as well.
    I remember I read many opinions before Vancouver Plushy is too old, he can't do it, he hasn't skating skills.. etc., I hardly believe you don't remember...


    Plushenko said he will be happy if he will stand on podium, if he will win a bronze medal
    Last edited by plushyfan; 12-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,001
    I will be surprised if his body holds up till Sochi. While not unexpected, his quad at Nationals did not have the height of the past, which makes me wonder if he can pull off a good second one in the long program.
    If national inflation takes place, and it seems that it does, it does so in service to what? The fans don't even buy into it and certainly the judges that will be at Worlds and the Olympics and Euros don't. So what is the point? The skater would be better served if he or she were judged realistically, so they could spend more time addressing their short comings before Worlds or the Olympics . Inflation should be frowned on and discouraged by all imo. And any judge who does that should be called to task.

  15. #30
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I will be surprised if his body holds up till Sochi.
    This is what I'm thinking... I can't believe.. He started to skate at 4 y.o. He had so much injury, surgery, pain..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •