Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Hybrid View

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Here's an article/interview with Yu Na:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...070300811.html

Kim will start preparing for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, which begin on Feb. 7, 2014, by getting in shape for the 2012-2013 figure skating competition season that gets under way in October. She will also compete in the Korean Figure Skating Championships for the first time in six years. Kim has yet to choose a coach
    Some of the competition will be broadcast live by KBS 2.

Custom Title
    Yippee! Good to hear, and I'm sure it'll be a boost to the event itself.

I hope she chooses a coach soon. I know she doesn't want to leave Korea, but this is too important an effort to gamble on by having no coach. Think of a coach as a walking conscience scrutinizing her as closely as a hawk watches its lunch, day in and day out, saying "You were a little off on that jump" or "You need to do a better lead-in to that step sequence or Kostner will be wearing your medal on the next podium."

Even the greatest ballet dancers take ballet class every day. There's an old saying that goes something like this: If you miss class for one day, you can see the difference. If you miss for two days, your teacher can see the difference. If you miss for three days, the audience can see the difference."
    Last edited by Olympia; 12-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Something doesn't add up in this article because Yuna already chose her coaches in October and they of course accompanied her at NRW Trophy. I even remember reading Olympia's posts asking about her current Korean coaches not long ago.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Something doesn't add up in this article because Yuna already chose her coaches in October and they of course accompanied her at NRW Trophy. I even remember reading Olympia's posts asking about her current Korean coaches not long ago.
    I wonder if they mean coaches for next year. I dunno, there a lot of little things that I don't like about this article, fact-wise. So many little misleading things.

skating philosopher
    Just looked at the date -- the article is from July 3.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Just looked at the date -- the article is from July 3.
    Why didn't I think of that ...

Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.

ETA: I do not post this as a way to bash fans, hence the reason I put the term in quotes. There were a lot of folks who just showed up for teh star of the show and then left, but many more stayed...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 12-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

And yet I was the rude one for not giving Kwan's Bolero a standing O because she was Michelle Kwan (that program was soooooooo bllllllaaaaaahhhhhhh at nats lol).

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.
    I think they'll stay considering how much figure skating has been exposed to South Korea. Plus, there also will be Kim Hae Jin, a jr, will be competing for Korean Nat, and a lot of Koreans expect her to be as good as Kim.

ETA: I do not post this as a way to bash fans, hence the reason I put the term in quotes. There were a lot of folks who just showed up for teh star of the show and then left, but many more stayed...
    I have no idea. I'm suspecting that some will show only for Yuna and leave, but I think that some may come early to see other skaters.

Yuna's skating very last on the 5th, so we'll see, depending on how many people arrive toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I have no idea. I'm suspecting that some will show only for Yuna and leave...
    That would be disappointing IMO - at US Nats the dozens that left weren't as noticable in the very packed (at least lower bowl) rose garden... but if a few dozen (or more) were to do the same at Korean Nationals it'd be far more noticable. Think of how many skating fans who would sit through the whole thing would miss out!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Same thing happens at US Nationals.

Many, many people left and missed this performance, one of the all time memorable SP skates for me:
    2003 Ye Bin Mok SP The Swan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv6n5EQq3U

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I know - that's why I brought it up - however, when a couple hundred leave at US nationals the stands aren't sold out, Korean Nationals is - I just hope not JUST to see Yuna.

Many, many people left and missed this performance, one of the all time memorable SP skates for me:

Thank you doris for sharing the link of this incredibly beautiful performance: I actually didn't know it! I don't understand those 5.2...

Custom Title
    Thanks. This just made my evening. (I don't get those presentation marks, as it was so classically refined.)
    I found another performance of Yebin from 2012:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbxmOoUvG0
    Last edited by bebevia; 01-01-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Custom Title

I'm sure most will stay. Korea has a lot of talented junior skaters and a potential hot rivalry between Kim Haejin and Park So Youn. There is also a very exciting jumping bean named Choi Dabin. Yuna's participation at the this event will only inspire these young skaters to perform at their best and maybe at their peak for this season. I personally looking forward to seeing Korea's next generation of skaters the most and I'm sure Yuna feels the same way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast