Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Tripping on the Podium
    Thrilled to see Yuna can have some time to polish her programs before Worlds. I do hope she pays more attention to the choreography/artistry this time around than she did at her last time.
    Last edited by EyesOfLove; 12-28-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    tickets to Korean Nationals have been sold out in less than a minute!!!

source
    Since it was all in Korean I'll post the key facts from it in English in bullet points:

* Korean Nats will be held on Jan 5 & 6, local time @ Mokdong Rink (short on the 5th, long on the 6th)
    * Tickets were sold out within one minute
    * Mokdong has 5,000 seats. All That Sports (which is in charge of ticket sales) decided to not release seats with poor view and sold 3,400 tickets.
    * The last time Yuna competed in Korea was Dec, 2008 (GPF). The rink used for the competition had 3,500 seats. (The rink originally had 2,500 seats, but so many fans complained that 1,000 seats were added)
    * The entire proceeds from the ticket sales will be used to grow and support promising young skaters in Korea.
    * Only the skaters (1 man, 1 lady) who place 1st at nats will be eligible to go to the worlds in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    if she has not announced her withdrawal we must assume she is competing. I'm sure her team feels that her programs need more milage in front of judges, even national ones.
    She can't WD because Nats is where they're going to decide who's going to go to the Worlds. (Not that I think anybody's going to beat her at nats...)

I didn't realize this, but apparently KSU already decided who's going to 4CC at some other minor domestic comp, which Yuna didn't participate in. So even if Yuna wants to go to 4CC, somebody has to give up their spot, and I doubt that's what Yuna wants.

Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.

ETA: I do not post this as a way to bash fans, hence the reason I put the term in quotes. There were a lot of folks who just showed up for teh star of the show and then left, but many more stayed...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 12-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

And yet I was the rude one for not giving Kwan's Bolero a standing O because she was Michelle Kwan (that program was soooooooo bllllllaaaaaahhhhhhh at nats lol).

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.
    I think they'll stay considering how much figure skating has been exposed to South Korea. Plus, there also will be Kim Hae Jin, a jr, will be competing for Korean Nat, and a lot of Koreans expect her to be as good as Kim.

ETA: I do not post this as a way to bash fans, hence the reason I put the term in quotes. There were a lot of folks who just showed up for teh star of the show and then left, but many more stayed...
    I have no idea. I'm suspecting that some will show only for Yuna and leave, but I think that some may come early to see other skaters.

Yuna's skating very last on the 5th, so we'll see, depending on how many people arrive toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I have no idea. I'm suspecting that some will show only for Yuna and leave...
    That would be disappointing IMO - at US Nats the dozens that left weren't as noticable in the very packed (at least lower bowl) rose garden... but if a few dozen (or more) were to do the same at Korean Nationals it'd be far more noticable. Think of how many skating fans who would sit through the whole thing would miss out!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Same thing happens at US Nationals.

Many, many people left and missed this performance, one of the all time memorable SP skates for me:
    2003 Ye Bin Mok SP The Swan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv6n5EQq3U

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I know - that's why I brought it up - however, when a couple hundred leave at US nationals the stands aren't sold out, Korean Nationals is - I just hope not JUST to see Yuna.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Back when they walked out prior to Ye Bin Mok, the lower bowl and most of the upper bowl were sold out ( those were the days )

So yes, it was very noticeable.

Nowadays, not so much

if that's the case maybe it was Kwan that killed skating in the US

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    If they went for Michelle Kwan, I don't understand why they didn't stay for the rest of the final flight. Tickets are so expensive; it's a shame that they threw away money like that.

Pretty sure this is going to happen again too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCuwyo2jjqI&t=05m08s

* Mokdong has 5,000 seats. All That Sports (which is in charge of ticket sales) decided to not release seats with poor view and sold 3,400 tickets.
    * The last time Yuna competed in Korea was Dec, 2008 (GPF). The rink used for the competition had 3,500 seats. (The rink originally had 2,500 seats, but so many fans complained that 1,000 seats were added)
    So does that mean Korean Nationals are usually held in NRW Trophy-sized rinks when Yuna isn't competing? I have a feeling most people are going to go around the time Yuna is set to compete. :(

Custom Title

I'm sure most will stay. Korea has a lot of talented junior skaters and a potential hot rivalry between Kim Haejin and Park So Youn. There is also a very exciting jumping bean named Choi Dabin. Yuna's participation at the this event will only inspire these young skaters to perform at their best and maybe at their peak for this season. I personally looking forward to seeing Korea's next generation of skaters the most and I'm sure Yuna feels the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    So does that mean Korean Nationals are usually held in NRW Trophy-sized rinks when Yuna isn't competing? I have a feeling most people are going to go around the time Yuna is set to compete. :(
    My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

This was the rink that they used in 2006 Nats in Korea before Yuna became the household name that she is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA87sgaG9L8

So I'm assuming that the rink that they normally use for Nats is something very similar, but this year, they decided to move to a bigger venue and charge for tickets because of Yuna's popularity.

Some may go just to see Yuna at the end, but I think that many figure skating fans may go early to see other skaters who they like. Korea has some promising young ladies.

Custom Title
    My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

This was the rink that they used in 2006 Nats in Korea before Yuna became the household name that she is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA87sgaG9L8

So I'm assuming that the rink that they normally use for Nats is something very similar, but this year, they decided to move to a bigger venue and charge for tickets because of Yuna's popularity.

Some may go just to see Yuna at the end, but I think that many figure skating fans may go early to see other skaters who they like. Korea has some promising young ladies.
    Awesome video thanks! Evidence that Yuna is a prodigy and her talents are god given.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast