Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Same thing happens at US Nationals.

Many, many people left and missed this performance, one of the all time memorable SP skates for me:
    2003 Ye Bin Mok SP The Swan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv6n5EQq3U
    Thank you doris for sharing the link of this incredibly beautiful performance: I actually didn't know it! I don't understand those 5.2...

Custom Title
    Oh, how lovely.

Custom Title
    [sorry; I meant to quote this post about YuNa]

[quote from Nadia01] My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

This was the rink that they used in 2006 Nats in Korea before Yuna became the household name that she is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA87sgaG9L8

Can you imagine being in that audience that day and realizing what it was you were seeing, and thinking of the future....
    Last edited by Olympia; 12-29-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

[quote from Nadia01] My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

This was the rink that they used in 2006 Nats in Korea before Yuna became the household name that she is now.

Can you imagine being in that audience that day and realizing what it was you were seeing, and thinking of the future....
    Did anyone else had this same feeling as me? I knew Yuna was something special when in 2004 I was looking at the results at a JGP event and saw a Korean win a silver medal. I first thought she was a transplanted American skater competing for the country of birth or her parents homeland, like Lily Lee. After I learned that she was an homegrown Korean skater, I had to follow her career.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

Some of her jr programs have hints of greatness. I'm so glad that she was able to overcome a lot of stuff to achieve everything a skater could dream of.

But it's incredible how little attention she received until she set the world record SP score at WC in Tokyo. When she was either at the end of her jr career or just started her sr career, a Korean clothing company marketing guy thought she might be a good young athlete to sponsor, but the company (which was unnamed in some article I read YEARS ago about corporate sponsorship for Korean female athletes) top executives thought Yuna wasn't "cool" enough for their brand. Of course, by the time Yuna was "cool enough" she was too expensive for them.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Isn't All that skates (the company in charge of the tickets) the company that yuna's mother owns?

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Isn't All that skates (the company in charge of the tickets) the company that yuna's mother owns?
    As far as I know, yes it is.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koheikun90 View Post
    Did anyone else had this same feeling as me? I knew Yuna was something special when in 2004 I was looking at the results at a JGP event and saw a Korean win a silver medal. I first thought she was a transplanted American skater competing for the country of birth or her parents homeland, like Lily Lee. After I learned that she was an homegrown Korean skater, I had to follow her career.
    I wasn't yet awake to YuNa at that point. But I can imagine how you felt, suddenly seeing someone from a previously unheard-of country make it to the podium. It must be the way mathematicians in Cambridge felt when they received the letters from Ramanujan, the extraordinary mathematics genius from India, in the early twentieth century. (India is now a science and technology power, but in those days it was far removed from the center of theoretical mathematics. And I think Ramanujan was largely self-taught in any case.) To see any prodigy come along is exciting: I remember having that feeling about Michelle Kwan when she was twelve and thirteen. But to see someone of that caliber show up from out of nowhere is one of those moments that few of us get to witness in any field of skill. Lucky us, to be skating fans right now, rather than having to hear about it years after it happened.
    Last edited by Olympia; 12-29-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Yes it is. It is also the mgmt company for Yuna and a few skaters and athletes IIRC.

Custom Title
    Peggy, Peggy, there were times you should have just said nothing. I was mesmerized.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Thank you doris for sharing the link of this incredibly beautiful performance: I actually didn't know it! I don't understand those 5.2...
    this really is beautiful. Ye Bin still coaches at the Toyota Sports Center and anyone can see that innate grace and talent to this day. I don't pretend to offer an explination of why she never became one of the greats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Same thing happens at US Nationals.
    Many, many people left and missed this performance, one of the all time memorable SP skates for me:
    2003 Ye Bin Mok SP The Swan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv6n5EQq3U
    Thanks. This just made my evening. (I don't get those presentation marks, as it was so classically refined.)
    I found another performance of Yebin from 2012:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbxmOoUvG0
    Last edited by bebevia; 01-01-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Promo for S. Korean National Championships, feat. Yuna Kim ... and no one else.

(and "Call Me Maybe"!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ORz...&feature=share
    Last edited by aftertherain; 01-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.

yuna will not only compete in this year's korean nationals.. she will also planning to compete in the grand prix series.. (assuming if gets invited)..so.. she's serious about coming back and competing again.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast