Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    I have more hope for the ladies- men are subject to years of mandatory military service (for obvious reasons) in their prime, which kills much a chance for talented hopefuls to fully develop their talents. With a possible signalling of a breakthough in relations with the North coming from their young leader (and that is my last political comment on this), hopefully that will in time help send men from the barracks to the ice rink, lol.
    Actually top level athletes who win certain types of medals at certain types of events (as specified by the rules and regulations governing compulsory military service) can be exempt from the mandatory military service. Hak Seon Yang who won OGM in London for gymnastics, for example, does not have to serve.

Of course the problem is whether or not South Korean male skater can be good enough to meet the minimum international result to skip the military service.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Actually top level athletes who win certain types of medals at certain types of events (as specified by the rules and regulations governing compulsory military service) can be exempt from the mandatory military service. Hak Seon Yang who won OGM in London for gymnastics, for example, does not have to serve.

Of course the problem is whether or not South Korean male skater can be good enough to meet the minimum international result to skip the military service.
    Can't they postpone their military service though? Then again, they'd have to have a good enough reason to ...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Can't they postpone their military service though? Then again, they'd have to have a good enough reason to ...
    Yes they can. That is the reason why many Korean male athletes go to graduate school. This would let them postpone the military service until their late 20's. So I don't think the military service would be trouble for Korean figure skaters since there aren't many male skater's at their 30's in competitive skating.
    Last edited by sather; 01-05-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Yuna to go soon.

The rink is really cold. Some are saying that it's about -4 Celsius (25 Fahrenheit) at the rink.
    Last edited by Nadia01; 01-05-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Fall on 3Lz
    3F/3T
    2A

ETA: According to some, she fell BEFORE Lutz and singled it. I have no idea what happened, as there's no youtube video or anything.
    Last edited by Nadia01; 01-05-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Fall on 3Lz
    3F/3T
    2A

ETA: According to some, she fell BEFORE Lutz and singled it. I have no idea what happened, as there's no youtube video or anything.
    she did not fall on her 3 lutz.. she singled it.. because she fell BEFORE even the jump... hehe.. but she substituted it to a 3flip/3toe combo instead which i'm dying to see...

Yes, I just saw the protocol. Per some people at the rink, it looked like there was something on the ice & her blade got caught.

On the Ice
    Yes, I just saw the protocol. Per some people at the rink, it looked like there was something on the ice & her blade got caught.
    Could it be that the ice itself is too harsh for the skaters when it is that cold in the rink? the ice feels different according to ice temperature.....

Quote Originally Posted by TarAncalime View Post
    Could it be that the ice itself is too harsh for the skaters when it is that cold in the rink? the ice feels different according to ice temperature.....
    You may be right. I don't think the rink temperature or the ice itself is ideal.

Anyway, here's an early clip. The angle's less than ideal, and you can't see her fall (b/c the camera's blocked by someone or something like that), but you can see the program

http://news.jtbc.co.kr/article/artic..._id=NB10226424

On the Ice
    You may be right. I don't think the rink temperature or the ice itself is ideal.

Anyway, here's an early clip. The angle's less than ideal, and you can't see her fall (b/c the camera's blocked by someone or something like that), but you can see the program

http://news.jtbc.co.kr/article/artic..._id=NB10226424
    Ahh thanks...video wasnt excellent, but it looks to me as if Yu Na didnt pick up enough speed for the jump after that fall. Just her luck.... well, it can only get better.....

Yesterday we had training in our "freezer" rink again and any deep scratches on the ice have consequences.-(....IMO

Quote Originally Posted by TarAncalime View Post
    Ahh thanks...video wasnt excellent, but it looks to me as if Yu Na didnt pick up enough speed for the jump after that fall. Just her luck.... well, it can only get better.....

Yesterday we had training in our "freezer" rink again and any deep scratches on the ice have consequences.-(....IMO
    Yeah. That might be it too. She skated last.

What a freak accident! She fell even BEFORE she started her backstrokes to gain speed for the combo. But she did a beautiful 3F+3T!

This fancam shows her awesome ice coverage and speed during the SP. I think the accident during the warm-up could have affected her. She crashed into the boards at the end of her 3Lz+3T combo during the warm-up, running out of room by either starting too late or going too fast.
    Last edited by Krislite; 01-05-2013 at 07:49 AM.

That was a beautiful 3f+3t!!! Im glad she made it through, and i hope she performs well on the free

Here's another fancam, with a better angle of her 3F+3T. She recovered well after that freakish fall while gliding.

-4 degrees is way too cold and I don't imagine the ice conditions are any better.

Custom Title
    A fall and a popped into a single triple lutz--the idea of a short, "technical," program has really changed, hasn't it? I'll be very interested to see the protocols on this.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast