Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Nadia01

Final Flight
I was referring to the potential controversy about her score given her mistakes. Her detractors are always quick and persistent to point out how "over-scored" she is in every competition. (Look at babayaga's original post that I was responding to, which mentioned Mao and Akiko's national SP's.) I'm not sweeping all fans who don't like her SP as anti-fans. Heck, even I am not fully sold on it, I like it OK up to the step sequence, but I think the step sequence needs rework. It needs to be faster and more crisp, and should have fewer illusion spins, I think. And then there's the tough music cut.

I like her LP a lot better, but a big part of it is because I love the musical.

Maybe babayaga can come back and complain once Akiko and Mao can just throw down 3F/3T at will during SP b/c they messed up their planned opening combo. :shrug:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Let's get back on topic of skating/skaters/theevent and not your fellow posters.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
... Akiko and Mao can just throw down 3F/3T at will during SP b/c they messed up their planned opening combo. :shrug:

I suppose that's never happened, but would doing two triple-triples in a program count? 'cause Mao's done that before. ;)

Nadia01

Final Flight
I suppose that's never happened, but would doing two triple-triples in a program count? 'cause Mao's done that before. ;)

Sure. LOL. :D BTW - is that Mao's plan for the Worlds this year? Or not? I'm hearing conflicting reports on her plans. I know she said she wants to include 3As again, but anything else?

Krislite

Medalist
Here's a video of the warm-up: http://youtu.be/-YPeOEgzQvI

During the warm-up Yuna aborted her first 3Lz+3T because she almost crashed into the board. She barely cleared the boards in the second attempt (successful), and then she crashed into the boards on third 3Lz+3T attempt.

I'm pretty sure this rink is smaller than standard. She skates too fast and too close to the boards (for the rink's size), judging by the video.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Sure. LOL. :D BTW - is that Mao's plan for the Worlds this year? Or not? I'm hearing conflicting reports on her plans. I know she said she wants to include 3As again, but anything else?

I hear she wants to add in a 3A-4T-3Lo. But you know how playing "Telephone" goes. ;)

In all seriousness though, I guess we'll have to wait and see at 4CC next month. She added in (attempted?) in 3A there last year, so I'm assuming if she's going to try anything, it'll be there in preparation for Worlds.

---

ETA: While "Kiss of the Vampire" has yet to grow on me, I do like the costume now. :)

Nadia01

Final Flight
Here's a video of the warm-up: http://youtu.be/-YPeOEgzQvI

During the warm-up Yuna aborted her first 3Lz+3T because she almost crashed into the board. She barely cleared the boards in the second attempt (successful), and then she crashed into the boards on third 3Lz+3T attempt.

I'm pretty sure this rink is smaller than standard. She skates too fast and too close to the boards (for the rink's size), judging by the video.

I think it is too. I heard that GPF had to be held in Goyang b/c nothing in Seoul was fit for an international ISU comp.

babayaga

On the Ice
It's only been a couple of hours. Honestly, not everyone comes out to play this soon! :p

Even sarcastic people have day jobs (or night jobs) wherever they are.
aftertherain, sure :) I guess my point was that it was unnecessary to bring up Mao here even for comparison since she and Akiko already got their share of OTT obnoxious comments. There is no controversy in Yuna's score as well as there was no controversy in Mao/Akiko's score at Japanese nationals. I just wish some mods had showed up in that thread too to stop the craziness - instead they participated. :slink:

Back to Yuna: the only weak point of her skating so far for me is spins, jumps and steps are high quality already. Spins are a slower and less centered than usual, and she isn't doing Bellman yet. But I guess there is more than enough time before worlds to work on them.

Krislite

Medalist
And as I'm sure you mean, she did that after a scary fall on her triple axel.

That was five years ago, when she was in her prime and landing 3Axels with consistency. Anyway, let's not incessantly bring up Mao in a Yuna thread. It's almost sure to become another heated debate.

The free skate starts in three hours. Let's hope Yuna performs as well as if not better than NRW. The broadcast is live so expect a YouTube upload in the wee hours of the morning here in the US.

jjane45

On the Ice
I think it is too. I heard that GPF had to be held in Goyang b/c nothing in Seoul was fit for an international ISU comp.

But if the rink size is smaller everywhere except Goyang, wouldn't she be used to that size by now? Training her new programs and all?

Nadia01

Final Flight
But if the rink size is smaller everywhere except Goyang, wouldn't she be used to that size by now? Training her new programs and all?

I meant a rink that's big AND can accommodate audience of more than a few family members and federation officials.

I believe she trains in Taereung, but that one cannot accommodate thousands of fans who want to see Yuna. And since that rink is for national level athletes, that one's regular size, I think. (Or at least meets the minimum size req for international ISU comps or something). I also believe that rink was fixed up by the KSU b/c it was old and crummy before, so I'm pretty sure it's not as small as Mokdong.

Mokdong is also a fairly old rink, about 23 years old. I don't believe it's ever been remodeled/refurbished, and the place supposedly has construction flaws that make it impossible to heat without affecting the ice temperature and softness.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Back to Yuna: the only weak point of her skating so far for me is spins, jumps and steps are high quality already. Spins are a slower and less centered than usual, and she isn't doing Bellman yet. But I guess there is more than enough time before worlds to work on them.

I don't believe she plans to bring back her Biellman this season. She was never very flexible, and it took a lot of effort for her to get it in the first place, and I believe she sort of let it go after she stopped competing. But I'm pretty sure she'll bring it back for next season so she can get Level 4 on all her spins.

Skaters have popped/missed one or two elements in SP in the entire history of figure skating. Yuna was also penalized with -3 all across the boards. Why emphasize or be more harsh on it when Yuna makes a mistake? I have not seen this much complaints in other competition threads or for certain skaters.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Skaters have popped/missed one or two elements in SP in the entire history of figure skating. Yuna was also penalized with -3 all across the boards. Why emphasize or be more harsh on it when Yuna makes a mistake? I have not seen this much complaints in other competition threads or for certain skaters.

You must have missed all those posts about a certain skater that Krislite has forbidden me to mention in a thread for the National Championships for a certain Asian country ...

---

I think, for me, it's really surprising when someone like Yuna makes a mistake like that in her program. I remember during 2009 TEB when Yuna chose to forgo that triple flip, Scott Hamilton was really surprised and said, "OH! I've never seen her do anything like that before." and I think at 2009 Skate America as well when Yuna fumbled on her 3Lz+3T combination and the 3F, he'd said it was "unusual" and "shocking", among others.

So yeah, when Yuna makes a mistake, people talk-- it's pretty much like that for all top-tier skaters. And yes, those other skaters get criticized harshly as well.