Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Nadia01

Final Flight
I have more hope for the ladies- men are subject to years of mandatory military service (for obvious reasons) in their prime, which kills much a chance for talented hopefuls to fully develop their talents. With a possible signalling of a breakthough in relations with the North coming from their young leader (and that is my last political comment on this), hopefully that will in time help send men from the barracks to the ice rink, lol.

Actually top level athletes who win certain types of medals at certain types of events (as specified by the rules and regulations governing compulsory military service) can be exempt from the mandatory military service. Hak Seon Yang who won OGM in London for gymnastics, for example, does not have to serve.

Of course the problem is whether or not South Korean male skater can be good enough to meet the minimum international result to skip the military service.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Actually top level athletes who win certain types of medals at certain types of events (as specified by the rules and regulations governing compulsory military service) can be exempt from the mandatory military service. Hak Seon Yang who won OGM in London for gymnastics, for example, does not have to serve.

Of course the problem is whether or not South Korean male skater can be good enough to meet the minimum international result to skip the military service.

Can't they postpone their military service though? Then again, they'd have to have a good enough reason to ...

sather

Rinkside
Can't they postpone their military service though? Then again, they'd have to have a good enough reason to ...

Yes they can. That is the reason why many Korean male athletes go to graduate school. This would let them postpone the military service until their late 20's. So I don't think the military service would be trouble for Korean figure skaters since there aren't many male skater's at their 30's in competitive skating.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yuna to go soon.

The rink is really cold. Some are saying that it's about -4 Celsius (25 Fahrenheit) at the rink.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Fall on 3Lz
3F/3T
2A

ETA: According to some, she fell BEFORE Lutz and singled it. I have no idea what happened, as there's no youtube video or anything.

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
Fall on 3Lz
3F/3T
2A

ETA: According to some, she fell BEFORE Lutz and singled it. I have no idea what happened, as there's no youtube video or anything.

she did not fall on her 3 lutz.. she singled it.. because she fell BEFORE even the jump... hehe.. but she substituted it to a 3flip/3toe combo instead which i'm dying to see... :laugh:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yes, I just saw the protocol. Per some people at the rink, it looked like there was something on the ice & her blade got caught.

TarAncalime

On the Ice
Yes, I just saw the protocol. Per some people at the rink, it looked like there was something on the ice & her blade got caught.

Could it be that the ice itself is too harsh for the skaters when it is that cold in the rink? the ice feels different according to ice temperature.....

Nadia01

Final Flight
Could it be that the ice itself is too harsh for the skaters when it is that cold in the rink? the ice feels different according to ice temperature.....

You may be right. I don't think the rink temperature or the ice itself is ideal.

Anyway, here's an early clip. The angle's less than ideal, and you can't see her fall (b/c the camera's blocked by someone or something like that), but you can see the program

http://news.jtbc.co.kr/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB10226424

TarAncalime

On the Ice
You may be right. I don't think the rink temperature or the ice itself is ideal.

Anyway, here's an early clip. The angle's less than ideal, and you can't see her fall (b/c the camera's blocked by someone or something like that), but you can see the program

http://news.jtbc.co.kr/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB10226424

Ahh thanks...video wasnt excellent, but it looks to me as if Yu Na didnt pick up enough speed for the jump after that fall. Just her luck.... well, it can only get better.....

Yesterday we had training in our "freezer" rink again and any deep scratches on the ice have consequences.-(....IMO

Nadia01

Final Flight
Ahh thanks...video wasnt excellent, but it looks to me as if Yu Na didnt pick up enough speed for the jump after that fall. Just her luck.... well, it can only get better.....

Yesterday we had training in our "freezer" rink again and any deep scratches on the ice have consequences.-(....IMO

Yeah. That might be it too. She skated last.

Krislite

Medalist
What a freak accident! She fell even BEFORE she started her backstrokes to gain speed for the combo. But she did a beautiful 3F+3T!

This fancam shows her awesome ice coverage and speed during the SP. I think the accident during the warm-up could have affected her. She crashed into the boards at the end of her 3Lz+3T combo during the warm-up, running out of room by either starting too late or going too fast.

Last edited:

MiRé

Match Penalty
That was a beautiful 3f+3t!!! Im glad she made it through, and i hope she performs well on the free

Krislite

Medalist
Here's another fancam, with a better angle of her 3F+3T. She recovered well after that freakish fall while gliding.

-4 degrees is way too cold and I don't imagine the ice conditions are any better.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A fall and a popped into a single triple lutz--the idea of a short, "technical," program has really changed, hasn't it? I'll be very interested to see the protocols on this.

A fall and a popped into a single triple lutz--the idea of a short, "technical," program has really changed, hasn't it? I'll be very interested to see the protocols on this.

? I don't get your point. Are you saying the skaters who have a fall or a popped jump in SP are not technical at all? Who in the current ladies field can pull of 3lz-3t and 3f-3t at will? If that's not a technical ability, I don't know what is.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
? I don't get your point. Are you saying the skaters who have a fall or a popped jump in SP are not technical at all? Who in the current ladies field can pull of 3lz-3t and 3f-3t at will? If that's not a technical ability, I don't know what is.

You are correct that under the current system, fulfilling all of the technical requirements of the short program is no longer important.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
You are correct that under the current system, fulfilling all of the technical requirements of the short program is no longer important.

I definitely think it's because more weight is put into the "smaller" elements as well. A triple lutz is like what, six points? If she'd had done that jump, she would probably have reached her NRW score. Same with Mao and her Nationals SP with that popped triple loop.

In the end, a popped jump/fall may not make for a pretty program, but there is so much more in the program itself to be savored.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
Wow. That took some gut to throw a 3F-3T after such disastrous start. (Having said that, I'm a bit dubious about the rotation of 3T- looks tad bit UR to my eyes) I thought she looked much more into the music and alert to the choreography, which actually showed even when she tried to hold the ending pose longer.

babayaga

On the Ice
I definitely think it's because more weight is put into the "smaller" elements as well. A triple lutz is like what, six points? If she'd had done that jump, she would probably have reached her NRW score. Same with Mao and her Nationals SP with that popped triple loop.

In the end, a popped jump/fall may not make for a pretty program, but there is so much more in the program itself to be savored.
Only Mao and Akiko got a lot of heat from posters for scoring in 60s for what they did in SP at their nationals, including sarcastic posts from one of the mods, didn't they?

Anyway, I agree with EyesOfLove, I think Yuna performed this program a lot better than at NRW and I actually start to like it. It has potential to turn into something interesting and unique with this dark but beautiful music and I hope she performs it flawlessly at Worlds. Too bad about the stupid fall, she obviously did not have enough time to recover before going into the Lutz, but it was very enjoyable nevertheless.