Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals | Golden Skate

Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's an article/interview with Yu Na:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/07/03/2012070300811.html

Kim will start preparing for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, which begin on Feb. 7, 2014, by getting in shape for the 2012-2013 figure skating competition season that gets under way in October. She will also compete in the Korean Figure Skating Championships for the first time in six years. Kim has yet to choose a coach

Some of the competition will be broadcast live by KBS 2.

Yippee! Good to hear, and I'm sure it'll be a boost to the event itself.

I hope she chooses a coach soon. I know she doesn't want to leave Korea, but this is too important an effort to gamble on by having no coach. Think of a coach as a walking conscience scrutinizing her as closely as a hawk watches its lunch, day in and day out, saying "You were a little off on that jump" or "You need to do a better lead-in to that step sequence or Kostner will be wearing your medal on the next podium."

Even the greatest ballet dancers take ballet class every day. There's an old saying that goes something like this: If you miss class for one day, you can see the difference. If you miss for two days, your teacher can see the difference. If you miss for three days, the audience can see the difference."

Last edited:
Something doesn't add up in this article because Yuna already chose her coaches in October and they of course accompanied her at NRW Trophy. I even remember reading Olympia's posts asking about her current Korean coaches not long ago.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Something doesn't add up in this article because Yuna already chose her coaches in October and they of course accompanied her at NRW Trophy. I even remember reading Olympia's posts asking about her current Korean coaches not long ago.

I wonder if they mean coaches for next year. I dunno, there a lot of little things that I don't like about this article, fact-wise. So many little misleading things.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is a common thing. Something that is older will come up in people's searches or feeds because of some phenomenon or occurrence causes the content to be rehashed online. For example when the Walmart/union debate came up on Black Friday last month, a graph about how Walmart and Costco compare as far as treatment of employees went viral -- but if you look at the date you can see the actually graph is from 2005 -- 7 years ago!

So my policy in general is to look at the published date. It's usally at the top of the article (after the byline) or at hte bottom.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sorry guys, the leader said "December 28, 2012"
And I was too dumb to check the footer.

However, Korean Nationals is early in January.

Especially this year, when she's poised for a comeback.

We want to have all the information possible where we can get to it quickly, so we can anticipate what fun the season could be.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Sorry guys, the leader said "December 28, 2012"
And I was too dumb to check the footer.

However, Korean Nationals is early in January.

if she has not announced her withdrawal we must assume she is competing. I'm sure her team feels that her programs need more milage in front of judges, even national ones.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
if she has not announced her withdrawal we must assume she is competing. I'm sure her team feels that her programs need more milage in front of judges, even national ones.

I just hope the crowds aren't so crazy that she won't be able to hear her music. I remember that was a major annoyance for her during the 2008-2009 GPF in S.Korea.

Oh, my. That says it all.

Fortunately, Korean fans are very generous in terms of posting things onto YouTube, so we'll all get to share. I hope they all have fun watching her, and that their support buoys her up. And that they cheer for the other competitors as well.

Wheeeew! Maybe this might be the bigger challenge for Yuna than NRW was or Worlds will be. Performing in front of home crowds who would definitely go wild at her every move on ice.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
Thrilled to see Yuna can have some time to polish her programs before Worlds. I do hope she pays more attention to the choreography/artistry this time around than she did at her last time.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
tickets to Korean Nationals have been sold out in less than a minute!!!

source

Since it was all in Korean I'll post the key facts from it in English in bullet points:

* Korean Nats will be held on Jan 5 & 6, local time @ Mokdong Rink (short on the 5th, long on the 6th)
* Tickets were sold out within one minute
* Mokdong has 5,000 seats. All That Sports (which is in charge of ticket sales) decided to not release seats with poor view and sold 3,400 tickets.
* The last time Yuna competed in Korea was Dec, 2008 (GPF). The rink used for the competition had 3,500 seats. (The rink originally had 2,500 seats, but so many fans complained that 1,000 seats were added)
* The entire proceeds from the ticket sales will be used to grow and support promising young skaters in Korea.
* Only the skaters (1 man, 1 lady) who place 1st at nats will be eligible to go to the worlds in London.

Nadia01

Final Flight

She can't WD because Nats is where they're going to decide who's going to go to the Worlds. (Not that I think anybody's going to beat her at nats...)

I didn't realize this, but apparently KSU already decided who's going to 4CC at some other minor domestic comp, which Yuna didn't participate in. So even if Yuna wants to go to 4CC, somebody has to give up their spot, and I doubt that's what Yuna wants.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.

ETA: I do not post this as a way to bash fans, hence the reason I put the term in quotes. There were a lot of folks who just showed up for teh star of the show and then left, but many more stayed...

Last edited:

MiRé

Match Penalty
Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

And yet I was the rude one for not giving Kwan's Bolero a standing O because she was Michelle Kwan (that program was soooooooo bllllllaaaaaahhhhhhh at nats lol).

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.

I think they'll stay considering how much figure skating has been exposed to South Korea. Plus, there also will be Kim Hae Jin, a jr, will be competing for Korean Nat, and a lot of Koreans expect her to be as good as Kim.