Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thank you doris for sharing the link of this incredibly beautiful performance: I actually didn't know it! :bow: I don't understand those 5.2... :scratch:

this really is beautiful. Ye Bin still coaches at the Toyota Sports Center and anyone can see that innate grace and talent to this day. I don't pretend to offer an explination of why she never became one of the greats.

bebevia

On the Ice
Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
yuna will not only compete in this year's korean nationals.. she will also planning to compete in the grand prix series.. (assuming if gets invited)..so.. she's serious about coming back and competing again.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Promo for S. Korean National Championships, feat. Yuna Kim ... and no one else.

(and "Call Me Maybe"!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ORza2sEks&feature=share

Sadly its' not surprising. KSU couldn't even give away tickets to the nats because nobody came except the skaters' parents and Korean FS officials and judges.

The only reason why tickets sold out in minutes this year is because of Yuna, and KBS is also doing live broadcasting of free, which is probably the first time it's ever happened, and everyone knows the only reason why is Yuna.

When the current crop of junior ladies start to do well internationally, they may start doing more balanced promos and fluff. But like somebody else said earlier, the only way for Yuna to not win at nats is to fall on every jump.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sadly its' not surprising. KSU couldn't even give away tickets to the nats because nobody came except the skaters' parents and Korean FS officials and judges.

The only reason why tickets sold out in minutes this year is because of Yuna, and KBS is also doing live broadcasting of free, which is probably the first time it's ever happened, and everyone knows the only reason why is Yuna.

When the current crop of junior ladies start to do well internationally, they may start doing more balanced promos and fluff. But like somebody else said earlier, the only way for Yuna to not win at nats is to fall on every jump.

No she could fall but not single every jump

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Because I was totally bored:

They're all news clips of Yuna in Korean (all under 2 minutes), so I don't know what they're saying. But it's really not that hard when they show Yuna's 201 pt. score vs. the other high scores of the season and then slap a Sochi logo and footage of Katarina Witt behind that segment ...

1. KBS - 2013/01/02
2. MBN - 2013/01/03
3. SBS - 2013/01/04
4. KBS - 2013/01/04

There were more from the week after Christmas, but I opted not to post those. As you can see, most of the major networks are excited about Yuna's return. :laugh:

Krislite

Medalist

They're all news clips of Yuna in Korean (all under 2 minutes), so I don't know what they're saying. But it's really not that hard when they show Yuna's 201 pt. score vs. the other high scores of the season and then slap a Sochi logo and footage of Katarina Witt behind that segment ...

1. KBS - 2013/01/02
2. MBN - 2013/01/03
3. SBS - 2013/01/04
4. KBS - 2013/01/04

There were more from the week after Christmas, but I opted not to post those. As you can see, most of the major networks are excited about Yuna's return. :laugh:

Great find! The end of video #4 has a great shot of her 3Lz+3T in practice--probably the best I've seen her do in her practices at NRW. I wonder why I haven't seen these angles before? Hmm...the broadcast/livestream angles were very different.

sather

Rinkside

1. KBS - 2013/01/02
2. MBN - 2013/01/03
3. SBS - 2013/01/04
4. KBS - 2013/01/04

Yes, nothing special on the clip. It says it's the first time that tickets for Korean Nationals are sold and even tickets for seats with bad view added because of fans' request are all sold out. (I tried it myself and failed so I know that it truly was a ticket war.) The footage of Katarina Witt was about '77% of the previous year's world champions won Olympics'. I like Yuna saying she wants to bring as many young Korean skaters as possible to Olympics. :)

sather

Rinkside
Oh... I've just read an article that says Mokdong ice rink where the National is held is freezing cold. a skater said "It's so cold that I'm out of my mind when I'm on the rink" What a shame :(

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Oh... I've just read an article that says Mokdong ice rink where the National is held is freezing cold. a skater said "It's so cold that I'm out of my mind when I'm on the rink" What a shame :(

I guess rink conditions haven't changed still ... Yuna used to say that her practice rinks in South Korea weren't well heated. :(

Maybe that's why Yuna was wearing an additional vest over her jacket.

guanchi

On the Ice

1. KBS - 2013/01/02
2. MBN - 2013/01/03
3. SBS - 2013/01/04
4. KBS - 2013/01/04

Ahh, that's so nice to see, esp. clip 4, which shows Yuna's influence on this sport to younger skaters. FS may not have the depth of talent, history, and reach to an audience compared to, let's say, Japan, but hopefully that can change. It's so exciting to see one person have that effect, and with wishful thinking, help grow this beautiful sport. If one person can sell out a previously overlooked event, perhaps it will wake the country up, make people realize that it takes those who are passionate at the grass roots level (or more likely, in Korea, at the state and corporate level) to bring true excellence for young hopefuls.

There have been some very talented American skaters of Korean descent, like Naomi Nam, AP McDonough, and Yebin Mok. Although their international success was limited, at least it was nurtured in a good skating environment, and they went as far as their abilities took them. So Korea should see that in a good skating environment (like Yuna in Toronto), they can thrive and be as competitive as any other nation.

I have more hope for the ladies- men are subject to years of mandatory military service (for obvious reasons) in their prime, which kills much a chance for talented hopefuls to fully develop their talents. With a possible signalling of a breakthough in relations with the North coming from their young leader (and that is my last political comment on this), hopefully that will in time help send men from the barracks to the ice rink, lol.