Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

Nadia01

Final Flight
Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.

ETA: I do not post this as a way to bash fans, hence the reason I put the term in quotes. There were a lot of folks who just showed up for teh star of the show and then left, but many more stayed...

I have no idea. I'm suspecting that some will show only for Yuna and leave, but I think that some may come early to see other skaters.

Yuna's skating very last on the 5th, so we'll see, depending on how many people arrive toward the end.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have no idea. I'm suspecting that some will show only for Yuna and leave...

That would be disappointing IMO - at US Nats the dozens that left weren't as noticable in the very packed (at least lower bowl) rose garden... but if a few dozen (or more) were to do the same at Korean Nationals it'd be far more noticable. Think of how many skating fans who would sit through the whole thing would miss out! :no:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Back when they walked out prior to Ye Bin Mok, the lower bowl and most of the upper bowl were sold out :)cry: those were the days )

So yes, it was very noticeable.

Nowadays, not so much :cry:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Same thing happens at US Nationals.

If they went for Michelle Kwan, I don't understand why they didn't stay for the rest of the final flight. Tickets are so expensive; it's a shame that they threw away money like that.

Pretty sure this is going to happen again too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCuwyo2jjqI&t=05m08s

* Mokdong has 5,000 seats. All That Sports (which is in charge of ticket sales) decided to not release seats with poor view and sold 3,400 tickets.
* The last time Yuna competed in Korea was Dec, 2008 (GPF). The rink used for the competition had 3,500 seats. (The rink originally had 2,500 seats, but so many fans complained that 1,000 seats were added)

So does that mean Korean Nationals are usually held in NRW Trophy-sized rinks when Yuna isn't competing? I have a feeling most people are going to go around the time Yuna is set to compete. :(

koheikun90

On the Ice
Do her fans at least stay to watch the entire competition? That was an eye openning experience in 2005 for me at US nationals. A lot of "fans" came in way late, with just enough time to see Kwan... And then they left. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to only be in the arena for maybe 10 minutes for one athlete I don't know.

I would hope that in the korean nationals case of having so few tickets available that people would come and stay for the whole thing.

ETA: I do not post this as a way to bash fans, hence the reason I put the term in quotes. There were a lot of folks who just showed up for teh star of the show and then left, but many more stayed...

I'm sure most will stay. Korea has a lot of talented junior skaters and a potential hot rivalry between Kim Haejin and Park So Youn. There is also a very exciting jumping bean named Choi Dabin. Yuna's participation at the this event will only inspire these young skaters to perform at their best and maybe at their peak for this season. I personally looking forward to seeing Korea's next generation of skaters the most and I'm sure Yuna feels the same way.

Nadia01

Final Flight
So does that mean Korean Nationals are usually held in NRW Trophy-sized rinks when Yuna isn't competing? I have a feeling most people are going to go around the time Yuna is set to compete. :(

My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

This was the rink that they used in 2006 Nats in Korea before Yuna became the household name that she is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA87sgaG9L8

So I'm assuming that the rink that they normally use for Nats is something very similar, but this year, they decided to move to a bigger venue and charge for tickets because of Yuna's popularity.

Some may go just to see Yuna at the end, but I think that many figure skating fans may go early to see other skaters who they like. Korea has some promising young ladies.

koheikun90

On the Ice
My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

This was the rink that they used in 2006 Nats in Korea before Yuna became the household name that she is now.

So I'm assuming that the rink that they normally use for Nats is something very similar, but this year, they decided to move to a bigger venue and charge for tickets because of Yuna's popularity.

Some may go just to see Yuna at the end, but I think that many figure skating fans may go early to see other skaters who they like. Korea has some promising young ladies.

Awesome video thanks! Evidence that Yuna is a prodigy and her talents are god given.

[sorry; I meant to quote this post about YuNa]

[quote from Nadia01] My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

Can you imagine being in that audience that day and realizing what it was you were seeing, and thinking of the future....

Last edited:

koheikun90

On the Ice

[quote from Nadia01] My understanding is that usually Nats are held in Taereung, which is not a big rink IIRC.

Can you imagine being in that audience that day and realizing what it was you were seeing, and thinking of the future....

Did anyone else had this same feeling as me? I knew Yuna was something special when in 2004 I was looking at the results at a JGP event and saw a Korean win a silver medal. I first thought she was a transplanted American skater competing for the country of birth or her parents homeland, like Lily Lee. After I learned that she was an homegrown Korean skater, I had to follow her career.

Nadia01

Final Flight

:) Some of her jr programs have hints of greatness. :) I'm so glad that she was able to overcome a lot of stuff to achieve everything a skater could dream of.

But it's incredible how little attention she received until she set the world record SP score at WC in Tokyo. When she was either at the end of her jr career or just started her sr career, a Korean clothing company marketing guy thought she might be a good young athlete to sponsor, but the company (which was unnamed in some article I read YEARS ago about corporate sponsorship for Korean female athletes) top executives thought Yuna wasn't "cool" enough for their brand. Of course, by the time Yuna was "cool enough" she was too expensive for them.

Did anyone else had this same feeling as me? I knew Yuna was something special when in 2004 I was looking at the results at a JGP event and saw a Korean win a silver medal. I first thought she was a transplanted American skater competing for the country of birth or her parents homeland, like Lily Lee. After I learned that she was an homegrown Korean skater, I had to follow her career.

I wasn't yet awake to YuNa at that point. But I can imagine how you felt, suddenly seeing someone from a previously unheard-of country make it to the podium. It must be the way mathematicians in Cambridge felt when they received the letters from Ramanujan, the extraordinary mathematics genius from India, in the early twentieth century. (India is now a science and technology power, but in those days it was far removed from the center of theoretical mathematics. And I think Ramanujan was largely self-taught in any case.) To see any prodigy come along is exciting: I remember having that feeling about Michelle Kwan when she was twelve and thirteen. But to see someone of that caliber show up from out of nowhere is one of those moments that few of us get to witness in any field of skill. Lucky us, to be skating fans right now, rather than having to hear about it years after it happened.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Peggy, Peggy, there were times you should have just said nothing. I was mesmerized.