Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 205

Thread: Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

  1. #181
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,382
    I was wow-ing with the crowd the moment Nadia01 provided the first YouTube link-- just wow! The opening combination-- I was so scared something like the SP warm-up would happen again, but it didn't! The rest of the program was pretty much squeaky clean. At one point, I thought she wasn't going to hold on to the triple salchow (KBS camera angle made the landing look a bit harsh), but then she tacked on a double toe to it and I was like, ! And if she accidentally did her SP ending combination spin, I honestly hadn't noticed. She definitely still has much to improve, I am very happy she did so well!

    (It's funny how all the judges gave her 9.00+ on PCS except one, who gave her all < 9.00.)

    With that said, I still find it hard to like "Kiss of the Vampire" and "Les Miserables". Something about the construction and the choreography of those programs doesn't sit quite well with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    I'm hoping for a good fancam. The commentators and all the camera shutters constantly going off are just annoying and distracting. Anyways, what fine performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    They were even more annoying during warmup, and if you understand them, the annoying factor goes up by about 100x
    Official SBS (not KBS) Broadcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-wL...&feature=share
    (Good quality, NO annoying commentators, and a more flattering angle of the choreographed spiral than the KBS broadcast.)

    And look at this little gem I found on Yuna's official Facebook page:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...62212112_n.jpg

  2. #182
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    835
    I really enjoyed Yu-Na's performance in the FS. To me what stands out the most about the program is how well-balanced the layout is from beginning to end. It's unique in its structure, with the jumps and spins distributed evenly throughout. After just two jumping passes, Yu-Na goes into her first spin (no two spins stacked together, which is not always a bad thing, but it can be a little boring), which is a big difference compared to her own past programs and most other ladies' FS programs. Then one jump (the salchow) that leads directly into the footwork, which is relatively early in the program and I love that. Then she's got three jumping passes, followed by her layback spin. I like the choreographed passage right after the 2A/2T/2Lo, too.

    And then, my favorite part is what David Wilson did with the choreographed spiral sequence, which leads into an Ina Bauer and then a 2A. With so many programs, the choreographed spiral sequence seems like a standalone element, but here it really seamlessly leads into a move-in-the-field and then the final jump. It's significantly separated from the earlier footwork sequence and acts almost like a mini-footwork sequence on its own. Ties in perfectly with the music, too.

    While overall, I don't think this program surpasses her Gershwin FS, Gershwin actually had a far more traditional layout in comparison--three jumping passes, spin/spiral, three jumping passes, footwork, final jump, two spins. She had lots of transitions/choreography there, but having two spins back to back at the end makes for a slightly less exciting ending than if it had ended on just one spin, as it does in Les Mis (and where the crowd really got into it).

  3. #183
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    728
    What a great free skate! Yuna is definitely ahead of the pack technically. She really has awesome jump technique. I think her costumes for the short and long are really pretty.

  4. #184
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings on the Japanese Nationals ladies' thread.

  5. #185
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,551
    Best fancam perspective I've seen of her LP, especially if you watch in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...dFVyyK4#t=135s

  6. #186
    Long live the Queen! YunaBliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Best fancam perspective I've seen of her LP, especially if you watch in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...dFVyyK4#t=135s
    Thank you so much for sharing this. WOW. WHAT A SPECTACULAR FANCAM. It's like being there! I will watch this video over and over again forever lol. My deepest gratitude for the person who shot and uploaded this.

  7. #187
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,514
    That was an excellent "thank you" and essentially, "goodbye" for her Korean fans. I doubt she'll compete at nationals next year so that was a great treat for them to experience. Her country really adores her...

    The SP was a little odd b/c of that unfortunate slip at the beginning but WOW at regrouping fast enough after popping the lutz to insert the 3f-3t in. That was some quick thinking!

    The LP was well-skated. Her combo looked a little close but it looks like she just got around to that quarter turn so by judging standards, it was good. The rest of her jumps were easy and all of good quality. It's obvious to see from a jumping standpoint she's almost 100% back...which is scary for anyone else.

    I don't care for either program at this point. I've really really tried to get into both of them but it's not happening, and if that magnificent performance couldn't sell me on it I don't know what will. I'll continue to pine away for Homage in the hope she brings it back one day, but seeing as how she only has one more competition left this season I'll accept these two programs and pray she'll come up with something better next season. Nice though they are, they don't leave a big enough impression. But that's fine. Yu-Na's back this season to earn spots for Sochi and that's what I view this short season as for her. She'll be back bigger and better next season for the Olympics...

  8. #188
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    That was an excellent "thank you" and essentially, "goodbye" for her Korean fans. I doubt she'll compete at nationals next year so that was a great treat for them to experience. Her country really adores her...

    The SP was a little odd b/c of that unfortunate slip at the beginning but WOW at regrouping fast enough after popping the lutz to insert the 3f-3t in. That was some quick thinking!

    The LP was well-skated. Her combo looked a little close but it looks like she just got around to that quarter turn so by judging standards, it was good. The rest of her jumps were easy and all of good quality. It's obvious to see from a jumping standpoint she's almost 100% back...which is scary for anyone else.

    I don't care for either program at this point. I've really really tried to get into both of them but it's not happening, and if that magnificent performance couldn't sell me on it I don't know what will. I'll continue to pine away for Homage in the hope she brings it back one day, but seeing as how she only has one more competition left this season I'll accept these two programs and pray she'll come up with something better next season. Nice though they are, they don't leave a big enough impression. But that's fine. Yu-Na's back this season to earn spots for Sochi and that's what I view this short season as for her. She'll be back bigger and better next season for the Olympics...
    I'd love to see her rework Homage and use that as her Olympic LP, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.

  9. #189
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I'd love to see her rework Homage and use that as her Olympic LP, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.
    I just rewatched Homage again...

    *sigh* The music, the costume, the choreography...it really was a brilliant program that didn't get the mileage it deserved. I know it's sometimes annoying to fans when skaters re-use programs but in terms of both Homage and Giselle, she only used them once in competition so I think it would be okay to bring them back. I just really wish I had a solid performance of it to look back on...ah well :(

    I'd love to see her return to Homage next season too but like you said, it's doubtful she will.

  10. #190
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I just rewatched Homage again...

    *sigh* The music, the costume, the choreography...it really was a brilliant program that didn't get the mileage it deserved. I know it's sometimes annoying to fans when skaters re-use programs but in terms of both Homage and Giselle, she only used them once in competition so I think it would be okay to bring them back. I just really wish I had a solid performance of it to look back on...ah well :(

    I'd love to see her return to Homage next season too but like you said, it's doubtful she will.
    I agree. Those programs were so wasted b/c they were used only once. Both had so much potential to be the great like her Tango, Danse and Gershwin, but didn't get the mileage needed to reach the status.

    I was looking at her programs, and noticed that she did reuse her program once after she moved up to sr rank -- Tango. It was used for her final jr season, then she used it for sr. debut season. She did rework the program a little bit to make it more sr-like. So I hope she does that again w/ Homage, if not Giselle (I think that reusing BOTH might be too much for some picky fans). Homage really deserves a chance to shine, and it'd be a really good program (emotionally and otherwise) for her to reuse as the next year is going to be her final competitive season.

  11. #191
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I agree. Those programs were so wasted b/c they were used only once. Both had so much potential to be the great like her Tango, Danse and Gershwin, but didn't get the mileage needed to reach the status.

    I was looking at her programs, and noticed that she did reuse her program once after she moved up to sr rank -- Tango. It was used for her final jr season, then she used it for sr. debut season. She did rework the program a little bit to make it more sr-like. So I hope she does that again w/ Homage, if not Giselle (I think that reusing BOTH might be too much for some picky fans). Homage really deserves a chance to shine, and it'd be a really good program (emotionally and otherwise) for her to reuse as the next year is going to be her final competitive season.
    Giselle was nice but I'd be okay if she didn't use it. But Homage has sweeping music and an epic feel that would light an Olympic arena on fire. She could rework a few of the sections (add to them, make sure they adhere to the new rules or whatever rules they add next year) and use it for next year. I think it would be amazing...can you just imagine her performing that program well at the Olympics? The audience would probably scream the roof clear off the building!

  12. #192
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    to forum administrator: I do not understand why this thread, the most interesting (in my view) and certainly most popular (proof galore) one recently, has been moved to the not-so-popular nationals area. Could you explain?

  13. #193
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,168
    korean_rose, welcome to Golden Skate!

    When events are over, we move threads sometimes. The Edge is our News Front Page, basically. It moves fast, and when a thread is no longer news, it tends to disappear, and will be archived quickly

    By moving it to Nationals, it will be available longer than a thread in The Edge-Nationals & other competition threads are seldom archived before the end of the season.

    Fan Fest threads (and yes, there is a Yu Na Kim Fan Fest thread) remain open for a very long time. If you are a Yu Na fan, you should check it out. (Post that normally would have ended up in the Yu Na Kim Fan Fest have ended up in our Korean Nationals threads lately.)

    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...9910-Yu-Na-Kim

    If you want to find a thread, by all means, subscribe, and it will be visible, if it has been updated since you last looked at it, when you click on Settings (next to Log Out at the upper right part of every forum page). You can also choose to have updates sent to your email with a subscription.

  14. #194
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Giselle was nice but I'd be okay if she didn't use it. But Homage has sweeping music and an epic feel that would light an Olympic arena on fire. She could rework a few of the sections (add to them, make sure they adhere to the new rules or whatever rules they add next year) and use it for next year. I think it would be amazing...can you just imagine her performing that program well at the Olympics? The audience would probably scream the roof clear off the building!
    That is true.

    And if Yuna doesn't want to recycle her programs, maybe she can rework Homage into a gala program for Sochi.

  15. #195
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    676
    Its good to see Yuna back to 90% of her form. A few more months of practise and she will be quite scary most ladies. She did has the highest TES base in SP. Did any ones have equal or highter TES base in LP than Yuna??? I know Mao, Ashley, Liza and Adelena all will be attempting 7 triples, but not sure how much cushion they have over Yuna as Kim can get away with one triple less value and still make up on GOE.

    Will she be going to 4CC???

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •