Anyone have suggestions on music to use? | Golden Skate

Anyone have suggestions on music to use?

E

egskater0003

Anyone have suggestions on music to use?

I'm going to be competing in my first adult comp. in this fall. I've been looking for music but haven't found anything I like yet. If any of can give me info on unique pieces of music, that would be great. I'm looking for something dramatic, strong, none of the soft, fluffy stuff. Thanks everyone!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
EGSKATER:

I have some ideas that you might want to try. Here are some that I have queued to use myself, and if you don't have access, I would be happy to share. I don't think that we will have to worry about ever being in the same competition with the same music. Not sure what kind of music you like, but here are some suggestions:

1. Nyah and Ethan from Mission Impossible II soundtrack (by Hans Zimmer, classical guitar, bit of a spanish tone, flows very well)
2. Marco Polo (by Loreena McKennitt...celtic instrumental)
3. Nightmare by Brainbug (techno selection)
4. Fever (by Rosemary Clooney - I think)
5. Several songs by Frank Sinatra
6. Etta James
7. Ella Fitzgerald
8. Boy From Ipanema
9. Zorba the Greek
10. Freda Soundtrack
11. Harry Potter Soundtrack
12 Danny Elfman selections
13. My Funny Valentine
14. Pink Martini (fun group)

I have a wide and varied taste in music. If any of this sounds appealing, let me know and I will send you copies on cd of what I have. I have several more, I just don't have them in front of me at the moment and cannot think of them. I hope that this helps.

Glacierskater

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Pirates of the Caribean's soundtrack would be perfect as well...

Take Five is a great peice of music....

the JFK Prolouge is great too(Paul Wylie used some of it as well)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I try to go with music that is somewhat off the beaten path for skaters. Skateable, just not overused. I like the idea of movie soundtracks. Problem is that as soon as a good one comes out, everyone is using it. I like to have something that is fun to skate to, but not overused.

For example, I LOVE Moonlight Sonata. I usually have some time to myself on the ice during the week. I will put it on and practice my MIF, or basic elements. I get into a zone, and it is so relaxing. But I would never skate ot it because I feel that I would have to deliver an OLYMPIC performance if skating to it for real. That is not going to happen, so I use it to chill. Anyway, those ar my thoughts...as mental as they may be ;)

starshinexavier

On the Ice
I find that using music that elite skaters have used previously works well. Coaches and choreographers at higher levels tend to stay away from that sort of music due to the familiarity of it, which results in few people using the music. I'm one who has done that. My current program is to the theme from Love Story, and out of every competition I went to as a spectator last year, NO ONE was using it. I hope you can find music that will suit you nicely.

ice_magick

Rinkside
if you like Celtic...

If you like Celtic, the Lord Of The Dance soundtrack has a little bit of everything on it. Fast, slow, majestic, frenetic, jump-y, spin-y, footwork-y, spiral-y...it also has some skow flowing parts. There's even one track that's a little blues-swing like and one (Siamsa?) that's really perky and banjo-y. My rink's Jr. Synchro team used it. I was going to use that music but I'd just done Elan (Secret Garden) which is a classically Celtic piece, and my coach said Celtic 2 years in a row would be a bad idea. We ended up using the Chicago soundtrack...also worth a look, particularly for an adult skater because you can't picture a 9-year-old skating to it.