Russia's Alexander Sasha Abt ends eligible career | Golden Skate

Russia's Alexander Sasha Abt ends eligible career

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Awwwwwwww, no, I love his skating......Quick, someone put a call into Tom Collins or Scott and book him for a tour next year....42 (I'm serious)

Lcp88

On the Ice
Disapointing, but I saw it coming. He was having too many problems, and the results he wanted just never came.
Laura

Rixis

On the Ice
Oh my God! That's awful! All my friends adore his @$$! Thats what we call him..Alexander @$$..and we are doing a fanfic with him in it! This is awful!

Antilles

Medalist
That's too bad. He's had so many injuries, he never really had a chance. I wish him luck with his pro career.

Oh how sad. What a talent! So much praise for Yags and Plush when this guy had the natural flow and beauty of the sport. I will always remember his Euros silver which should have been gold. But best of luck in the ineligible ranks. Boring but something.

Joe

Tove

On the Ice
I'm so sad for him, I didn't want him to end his career like this....
though, after I heard about the groin injury and that he withdrawn, I half expected it.......

I loved his skating so much, to me, he's the unluckiest, most unfullfilled talent.....who stilled produced marvellous skating though....

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
So much praise for Yags and Plush when this guy had the natural flow and beauty of the sport.
Well, there's no fixed amount of praise in the world -- I don't see what the supposed lack of praise of Abt has to do with Yags and Plush? Plus, I don't agree with that impression. IMO Abt's been always praised and loved by many people. If he hasn't been praised as much (or for the same things) as Yags and Plush, maybe it's because Yags and Plush are two of the most consistent and reliable skaters in the world. Like I always say, there're many, many very talented and lovely skaters, etc., but you have to add consistency to that to be truly unique. And if you're unique, more people talk about you than about many other very talented ones.

Btw, Abt seems happy with his decision. I guess I'm with Zhulin on this. He said that Abt might've continued and he'd probably get on the national team, and go to Worlds, and end up somewhere in the second 10 - and what sense would that make? My guess is he'll adjust really well, and will be happier overall.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Abt, Yagudin, Plushenko & consistency

windspirit said:
Well, there's no fixed amount of praise in the world -- I don't see what the supposed lack of praise of Abt has to do with Yags and Plush?

Windspirit, I guess with praised Joe meant that concerning Abt's potential he should have gotten more medals. (And he might have gotten more of them if just the judges would have been a little more fair towards him.)

And yes you're right, consistency is one of the points which makes a skater unique - but consistency depends on a lot of factors, which Yagudin and Plushenko had to a certain point, Abt just didn't: good health (and saying this I'm worried about Plushenko's knee) + support of your own fed + by the judges.
If a skater has all this factors on his side, but won't become consistent, well, than you can say, he didn't have champion's abilities. But Abt had NONE of this factors on his side: when there was finally one of the rare season he was healthy, than something else was wrong. And back to Yagudin and Plushenko: in 1998 when it seemed that Abt finally should be able to move up and keep the momentum going after coming back from serious injury you can say he was just kicked out of the National team, when he skated better & clean at RN this year but still placed 4th behind Yagudin and Plushenko. Next season Abt got injured again. - It would be just a miracle to develop consistency under such circumstances, if you have to face this permanent ups and downs, which finally led him to quit. :(

Actually I feel very sorry for Abt - I think this guy has had one of the unluckiest careers I've ever heard. It's not only the talent (and I'm not going to say that overall he's had more of that than Yagudin and Plushenko), but that he still went on and tried so hard to make use of it, but it just shouldn't happen for various reasons. I really hope that he'll be more lucky in his professional career and success will come easier to him from now on. :cry:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Sasha

This article, published this weekend, is probably the last one ever written in the U.S. that will talk about Sasha as an eligible skater.

quote:

"While parents negotiate for ice time and coaches dispense wisdom, some loud music – a tune obviously recognizable to the small crowd – comes through the overhead speakers and the group stampedes through the heavy doors acting as a barrier to the ice rink.

Russian national men’s singles champion Alexander Abt is on the ice, doing a run-through of his new flamenco music long program, and nobody wants to miss out.

A local parent explains, “When my daughter started skating here we had no idea she would share the ice with champions – we just heard there were Russians with hard-to-pronounce names training – now we’re thrilled”

As Abt rips across the ice, an excited young American novice skater, points and says excitedly, “See that? He’s twice as fast as our guys.”

Beyond high-octane velocity, what Russian skaters have is results. They have dominated the sport for years with much of the credit going to their phenomenal yet harsh coaching methods.

When Abt finishes, the crowd disperses, but you can see he has been skating for only one person – his coach, renowned former world champion Alexander Zhulin, who joins him at the boards to critique his performance. To the someday Olympic-hopefuls in the audience, it looked perfect. But coach Zhulin cares about the imperfect, and reviews with Abt his mistakes on the screen of a small handheld video camera.

After a brief exchange, Abt circles the rink gathering speed to launch off a few triple jumps, and Zhulin is already on to his next student..."

Sad, but I support him no matter how he skates - pro, eligible, stroking around the practice rink, LOL.

Link is also in the Navka/Roman thread because it's mainly about them.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/sports/pro/sports1-idance0111.htm

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What a shame!!! It's tough when a skater just can't go on because of injury. He will be missed.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joe:

So much praise for Yags and Plush when this guy had the natural flow and beauty of the sport

I know what you mean here. Sometimes a skater with the grace and flow of Alexander Abt is almost overlooked and underappreciated.

Unfortunately, for him and us - needless to say - his health prevented him from becoming the great champion he certainly could become. I always loved his skating - his inbetween skating especially - the way he used his music and flowed effortlessly from one element to the next.

All skaters leave their mark on the sport for one reason or another and Alexander will be remembered for his wonderful flow and speed and gracefulness.

I hope he becomes a coach and passes on his great skating technique to some protege!

lulu

Final Flight
I agree with what Ladyskater and Joe said about Abt being overshadowed by Yagudin and Plushenko. He was always the "forgotten Russian." He is one of those skaters whose talents and ability does not match his competitive record.

He has great musicality/dance ability, edges, speed and flow.
Hey maybe he can ice dance with Marina Anisina, if Gwendal is injured or Shae-Lynn Bourne if she ever wants to skate professional ice dance agian!

He was popular in the Prince Ice World Tour in Japan late last year, and he could be asked to join one of the smaller European tours. He also might go into coaching, he is coaching right now, and one of his students on the Jr. Level went to Nationals. And going pro is probably for the best, even though I like his skating, he did not have a very good season. Although his COR SP was fantastic! As a professional he doesn't have to worry as much about injury or about landing difficult jump combos as he would as an eligible skater.

What ever happens, I wish him the best. And if Tom Collins or Scott Hamilton ever asks Abt to skate with their tour I will set up a shrine to them in my room ;)