Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favorite Ladies LP this season

On the Ice
    AKiko's "O" is the best program for me this season. I also liked very much Mao's Swan Lake, Wagner's Samson and Delilah, Kim's "Les Miserables", Kostner's Bolero, Osmond's Carmen and Tuktamisheva's LP. But Akiko's "O" has the best choreography among all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    Lastly, wanted to throw in Makarova and Li Zijun's LPs. Makarova has amazing programs this year, I can't believe the change from last season to this season. Li Zijun's 'Nutcracker' is super sweet and a total fit. I'm a big fan of programs that play up skaters' strengths and showcase their best qualities - you don't have to have the best skating skills in town or amazing interpretive ability, the program just needs to fit.
    Li Zijun is actually skating to The Sleeping Beauty, also by Tchaikovsky. And I agree with everything you said

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    Li Zijun is actually skating to The Sleeping Beauty, also by Tchaikovsky. And I agree with everything you said
    Thanks, fixed it Shows how much I know about Tchaikovsky but I love the LP nonetheless.

Custom Title
    If I had to be totally honest, I would say None. I guess by default I would say Akiko's "O" program because at least it has some interesting choreography, but on the whole I find the women's programs this year kinda meh.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post

Just watched Carolina's program. Well it is a good program and I think she skated so well. I'm proud of her. However I hate Bolero for anyone but Torvill and Dean. When someone else skates to it I always can't wait til that music is over. I don't know what it is. I can watch T and D skate to it all day. I even hated when my ultimate fav Michelle skated to it. However I have to say Carolina's program for me is a much better one than my Michelle.
    Agree about Bolero... so repetitive, it's very difficult to make the music interesting. She is excellent, but I wish it was to a different piece.

Also, I agree about Mao's choreo finally fitting her. There were a few Tarasova years when I just couldn't watch her, the music/choreo was so plodding. She's a much lighter skater, and I think that these programs really suit her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by britebells View Post
    Agree about Bolero... so repetitive, it's very difficult to make the music interesting. She is excellent, but I wish it was to a different piece.

Also, I agree about Mao's choreo finally fitting her. There were a few Tarasova years when I just couldn't watch her, the music/choreo was so plodding. She's a much lighter skater, and I think that these programs really suit her.
    Bolero is composed as a dance music so it is already set for movement choreography. It is up to the performer to make it work, if they can't do it, then they are not listening or do it right. Carolina's LP program doesn't work for me as a well rounded program or performance (I like her SP better), because it is like there's like not much going on for the first half (minus some stop poses - what so bolero about it), except the step sequences which works great as a sequence on its own (to any music), but then again, what so bolero about it. It lacks the big payoff consider the lack of consistent build up to it, which certainly demand consistent emotional investment throughout the whole performance as well as adequate play with the nuances of the music particularly the highlight motifs. I may change my mind when I see the matured version of it. All programs need time to evolve before maturity to fully realise potentials.

I don't get Mao. She is the only skater who's program whenever it doesn't work, they blame the music, the choreographer etc., anyone but her. It is like blaming the composer and the backing band if the singer can't sing, it is really strange. This is Mao in her comfort zone, doing the ballet Swanlake with the grand dame of Russian figure skating showcase one of the greatest Russian masterwork ever that defined the ballet genre.

It should be Best + Best + Best = VERY BEST, instead we got Best + Best + Best = huh?!

The question should be why is it not better? Why is the black and white swan still having identity crisis? Remain so artistically dishonest and confused (to the intention of composer, the ballet etc), why so unemotional, wrong in tone, pace, lacks the ballet polish, so totally not Swan lake that it feels like diluted champagne with lots of ice and a cocktail umbrella at the end that remind you that you are suppose to enjoy it in the form of a step sequence? Again, I reserve my right to reappraise this at worlds, hopefully she will improve the performance aspect of things.
    Last edited by os168; 12-31-2012 at 06:49 PM.

1. Akiko Suzuki "O" from NHK Trophy
    2. Yu-Na Kim "Les Miserables" from Korean Nationals.
    3. Ashley Wagner "Samson and Delilah" from Trophy Lalique
    4. Mao Asada "Swan Lake" Japan Open

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3