Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Buttle busier than ever on the ice

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,474

    News Buttle busier than ever on the ice

    If anyone had to find a way to describe Jeffrey Buttle's resume, it would be perhaps that he continues to pursue and find success in skating, long after retiring as a competitive athlete.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    288
    Wouldn't it be fun to see a bunch of figure skaters play a hockey game.....I think Jeff might be an exception as Scott Moir, Charlie White, and Kurt all played hockey at one point or another........as I'm sure many others did. No fighting though

  3. #3
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensque View Post
    Wouldn't it be fun to see a bunch of figure skaters play a hockey game.....I think Jeff might be an exception as Scott Moir, Charlie White, and Kurt all played hockey at one point or another........as I'm sure many others did. No fighting though
    Kurt played in a peewee league for just a few short years, i think white went far longer, not sure moir.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,438
    So happy that Buttle has stayed in skating. Love that guy's approach to skating. He's turning into a fine choreographer.

    One of the greatest pastimes of a skating fan is contemplating the string of fabulous men's singles champions from Canada. From Don Jackson through Toller, Brian O., Kurt, Elvis, Emanuel S., and Jeffrey, to Patrick; feel free to add anyone I've left out. And each one different, from the athletic Jackson to the bohemian Cranston, to lightning-quick Orser, all-encompassing Kurt, combat-ready Elvis, sinuously balletic head case Emanuel, elegant Buttle, superbly masterful Chan. What do you folk put in the water up there?
    Last edited by Olympia; 12-28-2012 at 01:46 PM.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    667
    First off, hockey boys are sent to the CanSkate programs run by Skate Canada to learn to skate. In this way, they don't have to waste precious ice-time teaching the children basic skating skills. Most figure skating clubs are located in publically owned community recreation centres. Yes, the Cricket, Granite and Royal Glenora are all very expensive, invitation only private clubs, but the Mariposa Club which has produced 3 of the World and Olympic medalists mentioned above, is located in a community recreation centre in Barrie. Sandu's home club - 8 Rinks in Burnaby BC is a public facility as is the Minto Club - home of Don Jackson. Only Cranston and Chan came out of the private Toronto Clubs.

    The figure skating clubs must share ice-time with the minor hockey leagues operating out of the same facilities. This is why the hockey clubs send kids to Can-Skate. Ice-time for practices is expensive and precious. The figure skating clubs make money on the Can-Skate programs which helps them subsidize ice time for their competitive programs, where fewer skaters are on the ice at the same time. As a bonus, sometimes the boys find they really like figure skating, and they stay.

    Last but certainly not least, talented boys are fawned and treated as something very special. Everyone is wondering if this boy will be the "next one" as Rod Black used to call them. I gather talented young girls in the US are treated similarly. Talented girls are a dime a dozen here but a talented boy will get a lot of attention.

  6. #6
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Last but certainly not least, talented boys are fawned and treated as something very special. Everyone is wondering if this boy will be the "next one" as Rod Black used to call them. I gather talented young girls in the US are treated similarly. Talented girls are a dime a dozen here but a talented boy will get a lot of attention.
    Dragonlady, why is it that a talented 'boy' gets a lot more attention than a talented 'girl' in Canada? (Hey..that's gender discrimination ) And why is it that the reverse may be true in the U.S. that 'talented girls' seem to be more valued than 'talented boys'? I am curious.

  7. #7
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Dragonlady, why is it that a talented 'boy' gets a lot more attention than a talented 'girl' in Canada? (Hey..that's gender discrimination ) And why is it that the reverse may be true in the U.S. that 'talented girls' seem to be more valued than 'talented boys'? I am curious.
    In the US we've had as much success in men's as in ladies, so we're definitely different than Canada in that regard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •