Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Akiko Suzuki

I love this post on youtube
    Suzuki is truly special... When I see this kind of skating, it makes me wonder about the current scoring system, which doesn't give her much credit, particularly for PCS. The joy, freedom, committment, and speed with which she skates, in my opinion, far exceed most of the other skaters who consistently receive 8.0+ for their PCS...

Good luck Akiko!

Her SP: Eurosport commentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYbgU...u76pDHLI-30%3D

Deserved 61 for this program.

Had she nailed that lutz in the SP and the 2nd lutz in the LP, she would've won Worlds 2012!

Better luck next year. Looks like she's aimed to go to Sochi. Her star will continue to grow brighter and bigger next year especially with the World bronze medal added to her credentials.

If Maria was able to do it at 29 then anything is possible!

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Akiko says that now she feels like continuing to compete.
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/osaka/spo...OHO1T00098.htm

The title of the article says the "medal does make me happy".
    Maybe she said so, maybe the press made it up ....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    I love this post on youtube
    Suzuki is truly special... When I see this kind of skating, it makes me wonder about the current scoring system, which doesn't give her much credit, particularly for PCS. The joy, freedom, committment, and speed with which she skates, in my opinion, far exceed most of the other skaters who consistently receive 8.0+ for their PCS...
    Couldn't agree more. She's been growing on me for quite a while, and is now one of my very favorite skaters. In the past, she didn't quite have the technical content/consistency to contend for the top (something I lamented last year, because I thought she had everything else to go far), and it's pretty amazing that she's managed to make that happen at this stage of her career.

But the way that her PCS was marked in this LP (specifically the latter three components) was bordering on aggravated assault and battery of sense and sensibility (and throw away the key, dangit) . I personally thought that she was sufficiently superior in these aspects to get her a silver-winning score. But even if that can be debated, there is no reason in the world, or Worlds (that has yet been made clear to me; I'm still searching ) that these marks should not have at least recognized a differentiation between this performance and Alena's LP. If absolute precision in this area is perhaps theoretically and inherently unreachable, my own view is that accuracy (who was better than who, even if we bicker about the fractions of difference) should be a practical, reasonable, and intellectually satisfying expectation.

I've always accepted (though reluctantly) the explanation that it takes a certain amount of time to acquire "reputation", particularly for the artistic aspects. The quicker-than-the-eye-can-see nature of skating will, understandably, make judges cautious about changing their views and the scoring history on the spot. I thought that this "slow to turn" characteristic was perhaps a necessary and acceptable evil. What I don't understand in this case is that Akiko was winning and medalling the entire season; at the rate the judges are turning (and I hope they are), they could have manned the helm of the Titanic.

If we see more appropriate scoring for similar quality performances next year, then I'll be less disgruntled. The speed of change in Akiko's case would still have been too slow (and baselessly slow) to suit me, but it would demonstrate that aesthetic laws still apply, talent will eventually find its level, even if one drop at a time.

If not, then my floundering around for explanations might become something like a Nietzchean act of staring into the abyss .

In any case, congratulations to Akiko for skating a season she can be proud of, and best wishes for next year. Hope you wow us again, Akiko!

Akiko has a beautiful and contagious smile, and a joy in her own right to watch. Amazing that she's still skating at this age. That's love for figure skating.

Custom Title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxbT...eature=channel
    Interview with the medalist from Japan!

Custom Title
    That was a lovely free skate. For her to win a bronze was a fabulous outcome. After all our anguish here in the States, it's great to watch. I hope she flourishes all the way to Sochi!

This is her SP from Worlds (Japanese HD version)
    Exquisite triple-triple!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2eMB...6&feature=plcp

Her LP from Worlds (Japanese HD version)!
    Beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Mad...feature=relmfu

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast