Akiko Suzuki | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
http://magicaleggplant.tumblr.com/image/103505104353
Akiko-chan working with kids. Am I the only one who think that she looks infinitely more beautiful in real life? Her hairdo (and possible makeup) when she competed didn't seem to do her justice.

pshaw, she's both beautiful on and off the ice! ;)

On another note, this is a very late post (and it might've been posted in the other threads), but here's what Akiko said about CoC collision
Through the Eyes of Suzuki Akiko: I didn’t want them to be reckless.

During the six-minute warm-up, the skaters were focused on what they were supposed to do—neither saw the collision coming.

I thought Hanyu-senshu’s team would stop him, but in the end, he decided to compete. Although it is demonstrative of his determination, these two skaters are so young and so full of talent. Since this competition is not their ultimate goal, I want them to consider their competitive careers and to not be reckless. I personally know what it’s like to have ruined your body to the point of being unable to skate. That’s why it’s so important put your health first.

He wasn’t unable to maintain the landing of his jumps in his performance. He couldn’t even push himself with his blades by the end of it. However, I caught glimpses of his new program and how the quad toe loop and triple jumps in the second half fit well with the swell of the music. He fell on his quad but he didn’t pop or underrotate them which allowed him to rack up points.

I’m sure the other skaters are shaken up when an accident like this happens so I also want to give my regards to the other skaters who kept it together to finish their performances.

-> from the amazing http://ohlovesosweet.tumblr.com/

christinaskater

Medalist
I miss Akiko Suzuki! She is truly one of the greatest skaters of all time! I love Michelle Kwan and Akiko Suzuki!

leolion11

On the Ice
Ikr I really miss Akiko ;__; Isn't it sad that I rather see her POTO free skate than any of the other POTOs this season :laugh: except for maybe yuzuru's but well he hasn't skated it cleanly.

Akiko looks adorable with kids :love: Did she ever mention if she would like to coach after retiring? Or is she already doing that lol

christinaskater

Medalist
I think she doing the exhibitions now. She is also assisting her coach Hiroshi. I love her. I have my Michelle Kwan and Akiko Suzuki moments. When I feel down, I just watch them.

Akiko's SP and LP last year are 2 of the greatest ever! I also watch "O" and "Die Fleidermaus".

deedee1

Record Breaker
Has this been already posted elsewhere? ;)

Akiko & Nobu at 2014 NHK Trophy: "Smile on Ice" http://www.nhk.or.jp/figure/movies/movies_slct.html?ev_id=7

(click the left one, pls. right one is Mai Asada & Do-mo kun's.)
Says Akiko herself did choreography, and they had only two days to practice together to prepare this program. Nobu's jumps are still light as air. And :laugh: at 2:20! :)

mikeko666

Final Flight
Ikr I really miss Akiko ;__; Isn't it sad that I rather see her POTO free skate than any of the other POTOs this season :laugh: except for maybe yuzuru's but well he hasn't skated it cleanly.

Akiko looks adorable with kids :love: Did she ever mention if she would like to coach after retiring? Or is she already doing that lol

She's said she's not interested in coaching, but wants to become a choreographer although Mr. Nagakubo wants her to become his successor. She now works as a "Adviser" at her home rink, Howa Sports Land giving advice on presentation to younger skaters. You can already see big improvement in Rika Hongo.

Yuhana Yokoi made her JGPS debut in Nagoya last September, and Akiko gave her one of her dresses.

Yuhana's FS at JGPS Nagoya: http://youtu.be/clMgQrFQEHA
Akiko's EX at GPF in 2009: http://youtu.be/NebHHMjtIdg

deedee1

Record Breaker
Stephane has choreographed Akiko's new program! which she will debut at Ice Legend, she says. :)
http://ameblo.jp/suzuki-akko/entry-11943076775.html

First time for her to collaborate with him, I'm curious how it looks like. Fingers crossed will be soon uploaded somewhere after the show.

Akiko will skate to Debussy's 'Clair de Lune' at Ice Legends (if I'm not mistaken what I've read in a magazine today): http://icelegends.com/index_en.html#patineurs

After finished its choreography with Stephane, Akiko said she was so happy that she has very soft and elegant a la Lambiel-esque movements a lot. Should be very very lovely for sure. :love: Looking forward to hearing some reports from fans at the shows!
In that magazine mentioned that he did choreo to 'Riverdance' for Nobu, too. :)

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Akiko will skate to Debussy's 'Clair de Lune' at Ice Legends (if I'm not mistaken what I've read in a magazine today): http://icelegends.com/index_en.html#patineurs

After finished its choreography with Stephane, Akiko said she was so happy that she has very soft and elegant a la Lambiel-esque movements a lot. Should be very very lovely for sure. :love: Looking forward to hearing some reports from fans at the shows!
In that magazine mentioned that he did choreo to 'Riverdance' for Nobu, too. :)

I can't wait to read the reports. Lambiel's choreo has always been beautiful and to have Akiko and Nobu skate to his work is going to be great.

deedee1

Record Breaker

OniBan

Final Flight
(sorry, a lurker for most part, but I love Akiko and can't help but pip in) I for one would LOVE to see Akiko as a choreographer :) She has a genuine feel for music, and has this ability to move the audience when she performs - so can you imagine what awesome piece she can possibly pass down to some other skaters out there? It will be something beautiful, that's for sure.

mikeko666

Final Flight
(sorry, a lurker for most part, but I love Akiko and can't help but pip in) I for one would LOVE to see Akiko as a choreographer :) She has a genuine feel for music, and has this ability to move the audience when she performs - so can you imagine what awesome piece she can possibly pass down to some other skaters out there? It will be something beautiful, that's for sure.

Akiko has been a adviser to Rika Hongo this season, and Rika looks like a different skater from last season. Akiko recently said she might choreograph for someone next season.

OniBan

Final Flight
Akiko has been a adviser to Rika Hongo this season, and Rika looks like a different skater from last season. Akiko recently said she might choreograph for someone next season.

that's great to hear! I can't wait for next season.
also, I find it awesome that Rika Hongo is helped out by Akiko (in terms of presentation and expression on ice, i assume). I read from her Nikkan Gendai's article that Rika's grandmother is someone she regarded as a second mother (her 'Sendai Mother', she wrote), the person who (aside from her own mother) had helped her a lot while recovering from anorexia.

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
I read from her Nikkan Gendai's article that Rika's grandmother is someone she regarded as a second mother (her 'Sendai Mother', she wrote), the person who (aside from her own mother) had helped her a lot while recovering from anorexia.

Yeah, I remember that. The recovering process from anorexia was even tougher because she was living by herself in Sendai. She could not hung around with her friends because people starred at her with curiosity (she was still very thin) and she could not eat normally (she could not eat meat or chicken for three years). Ms. Hongo regularly took her out to have some fun, so she did not fall into depression.

She has been telling her experience with anorexia bits by bits, but I really hope someday she writes a comprehensive book about it. Everyone's case might be different, but her story would help many people.

Last edited: