Gedevanishvili
Asada
Imai
Biryukova
Makarova
Shelepen
Czisny
Zawadzki

Akiko has 13 points for finishing second at SC. If she places 3rd, she will have 24 points, more than any lady who has done two events so far, except Kiira.

The only lady guaranteed a spot now is Kiira Korpi, so the other 5 spots will be determined at TEB & NHK

Still in the hunt for the remaining 5 spots, with a reasonable chance:
Wagner 15 points
Asada 15 points
Gao 13 points
Lipnitskaia 13 points
Suzuki 13 points
Zawadzki 11 points
Tuktamysheva 9 points (If she won TEB, she would have 24 points, and by virtue of the win, the first tie breaker)

Akiko's chances of the GPF are good, if she can place third or better at NHK, but if for example, Asada & Wagner each place 4th in their events, they would have 24 points, but beat out Akiko (in 3rd) because they have a first place placement. Say Lipnitskaia wins TEB and Gao finishes 2nd there, (or the reverse), they would have 28 points and 26 points respectively. Then if Zawadzki finishes second or better at NHK, she would beat Akiko too.

If she places second, she should be in with 26 points. Third requires other girls' to cooperate by skating badly.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Tuktamisheva is listed to perform at NRW Trophy which is the same date as Grand Prix Final. So are the Helgesons and a few others who are competing in the Grand Prix Circuit. I wonder if they are already thinking "I won't make it" or would withdraw in case of getting enough points.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's not unusual for people to sign up for Senior B's and then not show up, although they have paid the entry fees.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I'd call it the skate of her life. Her 09/10 GPF LP was special, as were her bookending SP's last season (NHK, WTT). But it's definitely up there.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:love::love: to her Choreo sequence at the end of her free program to 'o'.

My message to Akiko and Dai:
Thank you so much for your wonderful performances full of your heart and passion! You guys have the GPF, Nats and Worlds to prove yourselves in front of fans, judges, feds people and other ISU officials. ;) Don't forget your fans are rooting for you no matter what! :yes: Best of luck to you two.

christinaskater

Medalist
I'm not sure I'd call it the skate of her life. Her 09/10 GPF LP was special, as were her bookending SP's last season (NHK, WTT). But it's definitely up there.

Her 2008 Japanese Nationals LP was amazing as well.
2009/2010-GPF LP "West Side Story".
2011/2012- WTT and NHK SP "Hungarian Rhapsody".
2012/2013 NHK LP "O".

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Akiko is lucky to have such dedicated fans. I love that those fans always give her the same teddy bear with a different pattern each time! It's so cute! I'm looking out for that teddy bear, always wondering how the next one will look like.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki - Japan's best lady

Akiko. The last two years she has been among the top three skaters lovely to watch and so athletic. I dedicate this thread to ask if our Japanese freinds here and people around the world feel this lady is especially underrated at home. At 27, she is amazing. A complete, beautiful tiny bird this year. I love Mao forever but Akiko should garner more respect from JSF. I hope she gets to Sochi, and has the best skate of her life, regardless of scores, or placement.

I'd love to see her win an Olympic medal. It seems just if she skates as well as she can. It is amazing what Japan has done with singles in this last decade. Yes, the body size shape is a big advantage rotating triples and quads but they all seem to work so hard.

If you had one skater you'd like to see "make it" in Sochi, who would it be? Do you have an unsung underdog?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I like her but she is not the best Japanese skater. Mao has much better spins, basic skating, stronger jumps (when landed), more refinement, and much better choreography. Even though Suzuki currently is attempting more jump content than Mao (not more than Mao used to do by a long ways) she is incapable of skating 2 clean programs it seems so it doesnt matter. Ando in decent shape is also a better skater but I doubt we will see her return.

Her chances for a medal in Sochi? A long shot at best. Even for Worlds this year she is unlikely to medal with all of Kim, Kostner, Asada, and Wagner ahead of her. Ashley has outdone her all year long, and even Ashley is likely to finish only 4th in Worlds again. Next year could probably be only be harder as there is potential for a couple of the younger skaters to improve and move past her, Kim and possibly Asada should be even stronger as they continue their comebacks, and there is always the wild chance people like Ando and Czisny come back strong. I wouldnt be surprised if Murakami who is improving at long last supplants her as the #2 Japanese lady sometime between now and Sochi.

Kudos to her though winning many grand prix medals, 3 grand prix final medals, and a World medal in her late 20s. Having her best career at the end of her career at an advanced age, big congrats for that. She is a lovely skater as well with very nice musicality, I think that is her biggest strenght. Her programs are also quite nice, just light on transitions compared to some of the others.

christinaskater

Medalist
She is one of the best ever! Mao may have more refinement and elements for me, but I love Akiko, her spirit and her incredible musicality. The body dances with the music. She is a supreme dancer on the ice like Mao. She wears her heart on her sleeves. I do hope she could have 2 clean programs and not be like Sasha Cohen. The good thing is she has had heaps of exquisite free programs through the years.

She is so underrated! I do hope my dear Akiko will do well in 4CC and Worlds! I want to see her become a Champion one day especially before her career ends.

I believe Akiko needs a great sports psychologist and situational simulator to help her adjust and deliver during important events.

I am glad she has given us exquisite flawless programs this season. Masterpieces on ice!