Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was also off on what her start order would be. She was 12! That was amazing. I don't even really know how that was done. Didn't take into account how she could have benefitted by the Russian federations decision dump the world silver medalist for her. Just take an ineligible skater assign them to euros dumping the world silver medalist and then doing everything in their power to send her wherever to get eligibility for euros. What the federation has done for her is remarkable and extraordinary - and she also has an Olympic gold medalist for a coach so I didn't factor in so much.

I might be wrong on this but I think that the skaters with the lowest ISU ranking were drawn in the two first groups. So starting order number 12 was the latest she could draw. And then in the FS, she drew the latest starting number again! That did help a bit with the PCS, I guess.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Nikol should get to go to Worlds. The fed can count on Liza and Adelina to get the 3 spots, and Nikol certainly jumps better than Ksenia these days, and Leonova has been a mess since the beginning of the season. If Nikol can skate well at Worlds like she did at Euros, she could maybe compete on the GP next season. She is a lovely skater and I don't find her jump technique to be too bad, I'm impressed with her ability to do 3f-3t. She also just beautiful, not only physically but also in the way she moves. I'm glad the Fed gave her a chance, and she should be proud of how she did at Euros, and I hope she gets to go to Worlds unless Leonova rocks it at the test skate and shows her last season form, in that case, I'm fine with Leonova going, I'd more be upset if she was sent despite continuing to underperform.

I think Nikol should get to go to Worlds. The fed can count on Liza and Adelina to get the 3 spots, and Nikol certainly jumps better than Ksenia these days, and Leonova has been a mess since the beginning of the season. If Nikol can skate well at Worlds like she did at Euros, she could maybe compete on the GP next season. She is a lovely skater and I don't find her jump technique to be too bad, I'm impressed with her ability to do 3f-3t. She also just beautiful, not only physically but also in the way she moves. I'm glad the Fed gave her a chance, and she should be proud of how she did at Euros, and I hope she gets to go to Worlds unless Leonova rocks it at the test skate and shows her last season form, in that case, I'm fine with Leonova going, I'd more be upset if she was sent despite continuing to underperform.

I totally agree.

gmyers

Record Breaker
All you need to know is what the Russian federation did to get gosviani to euros. Really leonovas career is over. What if she fell or doubled something? Lol. They want her to skate like worlds 2012 every single time she skates now and she is not that consistent so her career is over.

hanca

Record Breaker
All you need to know is what the Russian federation did to get gosviani to euros. Really leonovas career is over. What if she fell or doubled something? Lol. They want her to skate like worlds 2012 every single time she skates now and she is not that consistent so her career is over.

Not sure what you mean by "what the Russian federation did to get gosviani to euros". Gosviani beat all the others age eligible seniors (except of Adelina and Liza) in a fair competition. In fact, I think that Leonova was held up a bit, because she made similar mistakes as Makarova in the SP and while Makarova finished 10th after SP, Leonova finished 5th. I was a bit confused how come their score was so different. Anyway, despite of Leonova being held up, Gosviani managed to beat her.

So all the Russian Federetaion did was arranging for Gosviani a competition to give her a chance to qualify. That was the least they should do for her, considering that they didn't give her any chance this season or the last one to attend international competition to get the qualifying score.

I don't think the Russian Federation expect Leonova to skate all the time as well as she did at Worlds 2012, but her results this season were seriously. If someone is placing 7 and 8th at her GP events (in a very limited competition -out of 10 skaters), how high (or low) do you think she would place at Europeans? My guess would be that she could end up somewhere around 15th place, and that could potentially damage her international reputation. so actually by not sending her they also protected her a bit.

If Gosviani managed to skate a clean SP and the same FS she did at Euros, she would probably place top 12 and get two GPs.

hanca

Record Breaker
If Gosviani managed to skate a clean SP and the same FS she did at Euros, she would probably place top 12 and get two GPs.

Gosviani did not skate clean neither in SP not FS at Euros. In the SP she doubled flip, that's why she finished so low after SP. In the FS it was much cleaner but there still was some (small) mistakes. It was a good effort and excellent result for her, but if she skated as well as she did at Russian nationals (where I think she was completely clean), she would definitely be in the top 12. She has triple-triple in the SP and seven triples in the FS. I do think that when she lands it, she can be in top 10 (second mark tends to increase when a skater lands all their jumps).

Yes, she doubled a flip in the SP at Euros. She would need to skate a clean SP at Worlds to contend for top 12. FS at Euros wasn't clean but it was good enough to place top 12 at Worlds, I think.

If she skated two clean programs at Worlds, she would probably end up 6th, if not contending for medals (depending on how other skate).

Gosviani is elegant, has good flow and benefits from the SWP bonus as well. ;) I am sure that once she shows very strong skates, her PCS will shoot up like crazy.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Not sure what you mean by "what the Russian federation did to get gosviani to euros". Gosviani beat all the others age eligible seniors (except of Adelina and Liza) in a fair competition. In fact, I think that Leonova was held up a bit, because she made similar mistakes as Makarova in the SP and while Makarova finished 10th after SP, Leonova finished 5th. I was a bit confused how come their score was so different. Anyway, despite of Leonova being held up, Gosviani managed to beat her.

So all the Russian Federetaion did was arranging for Gosviani a competition to give her a chance to qualify. That was the least they should do for her, considering that they didn't give her any chance this season or the last one to attend international competition to get the qualifying score.

I don't think the Russian Federation expect Leonova to skate all the time as well as she did at Worlds 2012, but her results this season were seriously. If someone is placing 7 and 8th at her GP events (in a very limited competition -out of 10 skaters), how high (or low) do you think she would place at Europeans? My guess would be that she could end up somewhere around 15th place, and that could potentially damage her international reputation. so actually by not sending her they also protected her a bit.

Exactly! Rather than send the world silver Medalist who lost by a point to an ineligible skater the Russian federation aggressively dumped the world silver Medalist and searched the world looking for a competition to make the ineligible skater eligible. She wasn't eligible based on her skating at test Events so wasn't sent anywhere. Leonova was dumped because of her gp event performances so they have decided leonovas career is over and they won't support it anymore even when she eligible for a competition and someone else wasn't. And there is really nothing leonova can do to change this unless she never makes a mistake ever again.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
The Russian federation did no dumping. Leonova dumped herself. All the Russian skaters are perfectly aware that Nationals is the selection competition for Europeans. Leonova skated like crap all season. At the SP at Russian Nationals, she skated terribly and was still scored very generously. She skated terribly again in the LP and was fairly scored below Gosviani. It took no searching to send Gosviani anywhere; the competition was scheduled for a long time. How is it unfair to give a skater who finished third in terms of eligible ladies the chance to prove herself and earn the minimum score? Should Leonova coast forever on her world medal, in the world's deepest ladies field? If anything the Russian fed is being more than generous by having a test skate to allow Leonova to prove herself again and go to Worlds.

Gosviani has been around a long time. She was very successful as a Novice, but had some growing pains since then. She did not exactly come out of nowhere.

I think this conspiracy against Leonova exists only in your head.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't see a conspiracy. It's very open. Even though the criteria for the third spot could be anything the Russian federation decided to go with Gosviani and get her eligibility rather than see how Leonova would do. The idea was that Gosviani would be better because she was better at nationals by a point over Leonova. Leonova isn't going to worlds. What if she makes a mistake or 2 at the test skate? LOL it is over. They have made their decision on Leonova's career. Just like skaters were dumped for Leonova in 2009 now she is dumped. Of course her skating is a huge part of what happened to career that is now over. She ended it too by not staying in world silver medalist shape and making a lot of mistakes. Now the Russian federation has Gosviani and they really did go out of there way to get her to the compeition to get her eligibility for Euros. The Russian federation said the thrid spots were free of the order of nationals. Nationals did not matter for the thrid spot. It did not matter that Menshov was third. They replaced him for Kovtun. And Gosviani was no Kovtun! She didn't even get to the JGP because she skated so bad! Gosviani skated really bad for most of 2012. They really want to move on from the past and get rid of all the past in ladies and that's why Leonova has been thrown overboard. She was very inconsistent and now she's gone from the Russian team.

The idea was that Gosviani would be better because she was better at nationals by a point over Leonova. Leonova isn't going to worlds.

No. The idea was that if you fail at every single competition you have entered this season, you aren't going to be given the benefit of doubt.

And the Worlds team has not even been decided yet.

gmyers

Record Breaker
They were both failing at every competition most of the season. Gosviani has a point better nationals and the fed treats her like shes a great skater. Gets her eligibility for euros and there is no doubt really that she's going to worlds because what happens if leonova makes a mistake if she competes again?

hanca

Record Breaker
Exactly! Rather than send the world silver Medalist who lost by a point to an ineligible skater the Russian federation aggressively dumped the world silver Medalist and searched the world looking for a competition to make the ineligible skater eligible. She wasn't eligible based on her skating at test Events so wasn't sent anywhere. Leonova was dumped because of her gp event performances so they have decided leonovas career is over and they won't support it anymore even when she eligible for a competition and someone else wasn't. And there is really nothing leonova can do to change this unless she never makes a mistake ever again.

God you are confused! Gosviani wasn't ineligible, she was just unqualified. Ineligible she would be if she was too young to compete. She was eligible, just not yet qualified. The skaters have the whole season (and the previous season) to qualify. It doesn't say WHEN you have to qualify within this and last season, so they gave her the opportunity to qualify. I can't see anything wrong on that. Considering that the Russian Federation didn't give her ANY chance within this and last season to qualify, I think it is fair that they gave her the chance now. And she got ONE chance to qualify - not like Leonova competition after competition (and useless results the whole season).

hanca

Record Breaker
The Russian federation did no dumping. Leonova dumped herself. All the Russian skaters are perfectly aware that Nationals is the selection competition for Europeans. Leonova skated like crap all season. At the SP at Russian Nationals, she skated terribly and was still scored very generously. She skated terribly again in the LP and was fairly scored below Gosviani. It took no searching to send Gosviani anywhere; the competition was scheduled for a long time. How is it unfair to give a skater who finished third in terms of eligible ladies the chance to prove herself and earn the minimum score? Should Leonova coast forever on her world medal, in the world's deepest ladies field? If anything the Russian fed is being more than generous by having a test skate to allow Leonova to prove herself again and go to Worlds.

Gosviani has been around a long time. She was very successful as a Novice, but had some growing pains since then. She did not exactly come out of nowhere.

I think this conspiracy against Leonova exists only in your head.

Exactly!

gmyers

Record Breaker
God you are confused! Gosviani wasn't ineligible, she was just unqualified. Ineligible she would be if she was too young to compete. She was eligible, just not yet qualified. The skaters have the whole season (and the previous season) to qualify. It doesn't say WHEN you have to qualify within this and last season, so they gave her the opportunity to qualify. I can't see anything wrong on that. Considering that the Russian Federation didn't give her ANY chance within this and last season to qualify, I think it is fair that they gave her the chance now. And she got ONE chance to qualify - not like Leonova competition after competition (and useless results the whole season).

Gosviani was ineligible and unqualified for euros when she was named for the euro team. Its the same thing. Leonova was dumped by the fed fir gosviani and shes just never coming back. Look at all the things the fed did for gosviani based on one competition where she beat leonova by a point! Gosviani stunk for a whole season and that is why she was ineligible unqualified for euros because she could not get assignment because she was useless and horrible. One competion and shes sent to euros because leonova did not skate like world silver medalist and now she is useless and dumped and has no future.

Last edited: