Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds | Golden Skate

Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds

(Starting a new thread so that the discussion doesn't get buried in the 2013 Russian Nationals Ladies thread)

2013 Euros

Ladies
Elizaveta Tuktamisheva
Adelina Sotnikova
Nikol Gosvianni

Men
Evgeni Plushenko
Sergei Voronov
Maxim Kovtun

Ice Dance
Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev
Elena Ilynikh/Nikita Katsalapov
Ekaterina Riazanova/Ilia Tkachenko

Pairs
Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov
Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov
Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov

2013 Worlds

Highest placed finishers from Euros should get sent?

The above is the recommendation of the coaches council. All hell has broken loose since then though. And now Vitaly Mutko, the Minister of Sport, has requested the Russian Figure Skating Federation to revise its Europeans team.

Nikol Gosvianni does not have a minimum score and needs to attain it at an ISU-recognised international event. In the Ladies thread, let's talk has posted saying Gorshkov is planning to send her to Mentor Nestle Nesquick Toruń Cup 2013 and she does feature on the most recently updated entry list.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Stolbova and Klimov are not in the Team. BazLar got the direct spot for EC before RN.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kovtun over Gachinski and Menshov (both who beat him at Nationals)? Gosvianni over Leonova?

Whoa.

S/K over B/L suggests that B/L might need more time to heal/get back in the game (though I thought he just switched boots, and wasn't actually injured). Really interesting.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Gosvianni over Leonova?
She deserves it! Leonova is in a disastrous shape right now, I don't know why: she isn't injuried, right? I think she may be in the world team if she skates well at the test (like Makarova last year)... However, I do hope they will send Xenia instead of her: she doesn't have a good FS content, but at least she's been consistent in the SP and she has decent artistic abilities (but the last one is just my opinion! ;) ), the SP at Nationals has just been an off-day performance I think...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Stolbova/Klimv are not on the Team
Bazarova/Larionov got a bye as Larionov had new boots and he wasnt ready and didnt want risking injury

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Are you sure that ISU approved Junior competitions don't count as places to earn TES?

Here's the relevant sections of ISU Communication 1742
The Minimum Total Technical Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Short Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance 2010, Rule 378, paragraph 3).

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206192-223415-177357-0-file,00.pdf
pg 28 of 169

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206227-223450-177140-0-file,00.pdf

Here's Article 38, Paragraph 7 (Article 38 is about Definitions)

7. International Competitions/Local Competitions
International Competitions are competitive events (ISU Events and other events) as listed under Rule 107, paragraph 1-11.
The Olympic Winter Games (OWG) and the Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG) are administered by the ISU as International Competitions (see Rule 107, paragraph 2 and 3 and Rule 126).
Local Competitions are defined under Rule 107, paragraph 14.
Here's Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9
(Note that international junior competitions are included. International Novice competitions are not:

D. Competitions Rule 107
Definition of ISU Championships and International Competitions
1. ISU Championships
a) World Allround Speed Skating Championships.
b) World Single Distances Speed Skating Championships (to be held in non-Olympic Winter Games years unless the program of the Olympic Winter Games is changed resulting in an adverse situation for the ISU, in which case the Championships can be held during Olympic Winter Games years).
c) World Sprint Speed Skating Championships. d) World Junior Speed Skating Championships. e) World Short Track Speed Skating Championships. f) World Junior Short Track Speed Skating Championships. g) World Figure Skating Championships. h) World Junior Figure Skating Championships. i) World Synchronized Skating Championships. j) World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships
(every 2nd season, beginning with the season 2012/13).
k) European Speed Skating Championships. l) European Short Track Speed Skating Championships. m) European Figure Skating Championships. n) Four Continents Figure Skating Championships.
ISU Championships are ISU Events (see Rule 100, paragraph 3).
2. The Olympic Winter Games (OWG)
The OWG are the exclusive property of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The IOC establishes the program for the OWG in compliance with the Olympic Charter which includes only Olympic Sports governed by International Federations specifically recognized by the IOC as International Olympic Federations. The ISU is so recognized. The practical organization of the Speed Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, and Figure Skating competitions of the OWG is the responsibility of the ISU in cooperation with the IOC. The OWG skating competitions are administered by the ISU as an ISU International Competition (See Rule 126).
3. Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG)
The YOG are the exclusive property of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The IOC establishes the program and applicable conditions (age limits, Officials categories, responsibility for expenses etc) for the YOG in consultation with the respective International Federation (IF) and in compliance with the Olympic Charter. The practical organization of the competitions of the ISU disciplines on the program of the YOG is the responsibility of the ISU in cooperation with the IOC. The YOG skating competitions are administered by the ISU as an ISU International Competition.
4. Definition of International Competition
An International Competition under paragraphs 5 to 13 is a competition for which:
a) The organizing Member invites at least one foreign Member to participate.
b) The entry of Competitors can be made only through the respective Members.
c) Competitors from at least two Members participate.
d) Conducted in accordance with the Rules of the ISU.
e) In all International Competitions organized as a series, television and advertising agreements must be authorized by the ISU Director General to avoid conflicts with ISU contracts.
5. ISU World Cups
a) ISU Speed Skating World Cup (junior and senior).
b) ISU Short Track Speed Skating World Cup.
The World Cups as a Series are ISU Events (see Rule 100, paragraph 3).
6. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and Final
a) The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating is a series of International Competitions and consist of individual senior and junior International Competitions, recognized by the ISU as an ISU Series Competitions.
b) The special regulations for participation in these events, the skating requirements, the point system and prize money, etc., shall be established by the Sports Directorate in consultation with the Vice President Figure Skating and shall be approved by the Council and distributed to Members at least three (3) months before the first scheduled International Competition of the season to which they apply.
c) Each Grand Prix Series as a series (junior and senior) and each Final is an ISU Event (see Rule 100, paragraph 3).
7. ISU World Team Trophy in Figure Skating
The ISU World Team Trophy in Figure Skating is an ISU Event based on a competition among national teams from Members. The dates and locations of ISU World Team Trophy events to be held and its number of participating teams, qualifying/participation/entry criteria, technical format, starting order, result determination, Officials participation and other relevant technical and organizational details shall be determined by the ISU Council and published in the respective Announcement.
8. International Senior Competitions a) Open to all Members of the ISU. b) Limited to certain countries or restricted in any other way.
9. International Junior Competitions a) Open to all Members of the ISU. b) Limited to certain countries or restricted in any other way.

So unless ISU 1742 has been superseded, I don't see where the minimum TES cannot be achieved in either an ISU Junior Championship or an ISU International Event? (Notice that ISU 1742 explicitly included Paragraph 9, and that is

9. International Junior Competitions a) Open to all Members of the ISU. b) Limited to certain countries or restricted in any other way.

Do you have the citation? :bow: :confused:

Doris, I was sure that Seniors had to earn the score during a Senior comp but I've looked through the ISU Communications and can't find it now. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. If Gorshkov has really said that Gosvianni is supposed to earn the score at Mentor Nestle Nesquik Torun Cup (and she is entered there), then it would appear that it indeed is an option and I am wrong.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ziggy, it would make more sense, especially for the dance SD for example...but I can't find the requirement either...so I am thinking Gorshkov knows what he is talking about. In any case, the requirements for 4CC's & Euros are pretty easy to get, so if the Junior Comp is OK by the ISU, I'm sure Gosviani will manage it. It's the Worlds minimums that are tricky.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian federation isn't showing much faith in Gosviani by sending her to yet another junior event. Maybe she can achieve the minimum score there, but she will be facing much stiffer competition at Euros, and as she's never competed senior before (except at Nationals), she might wilt under pressure.

LRK

Record Breaker
Actually, as far as I understand, it's not a matter of not having faith - it's a matter of there being no other competitions available. Also, what does the competiton - stiff or weak - matter? The mission is to get the TES - I don't see how the competition factors into that at all.

Actually, as far as I understand, it's not a matter of not having faith - it's a matter of there being no other competitions available.

Aye, the Torun event is the only option between now and Euros, really.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Gosviyani

The Russian federation isn't showing much faith in Gosviani by sending her to yet another junior event. Maybe she can achieve the minimum score there, but she will be facing much stiffer competition at Euros, and as she's never competed senior before (except at Nationals), she might wilt under pressure.

Gosviyani was a great surprise for the Russian federation. She was reportedly not directly qualified for Nationals and came only as a third(!) substitute to the competition. They send her now to the only available international competition.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The competition in Poland is NOT the only competition available. There is the New Years Cup this weekend and the Volvo Cup on the 10th of January---the same day as the Mentor Nestle Nesquick Cup in Poland. But New Years and Volvo are SENIOR competitions.

Last edited:

volk

Final Flight
If Gosviani doesn't get minimum score what is going to happen? Will she have to go through a qualifying round or she can't go at all?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no qualifying round any more. Either a skater meets the minimum score requirements for an ISU Championship event, or they don't get to compete.

If Gosviani doesn't make the minimum TES for both SP and FS at Torun, someone else who does have the minimum (probably Leonova) will go to Euros instead.

skatel80

On the Ice
She deserves it! Leonova is in a disastrous shape right now, I don't know why: she isn't injuried, right? I think she may be in the world team if she skates well at the test (like Makarova last year)... However, I do hope they will send Xenia instead of her: she doesn't have a good FS content, but at least she's been consistent in the SP and she has decent artistic abilities (but the last one is just my opinion! ;) ), the SP at Nationals has just been an off-day performance I think...
ITA with you. Im glad they are sending Gosviani to euros, as others said she had an opportunity at the russian championships and she took it , good for her :) Im glad the russian fed didnt send leonova based on past results, she has been awful all season and makarova has been sliding since 2010