Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by mousepotato View Post
    At a certain point the rus fed needs to cut ties with someone who under performs. She never won nationals nor has she medaled at Euros. She did have ONE good GPF and won a silver medal at worlds but lets face it, that was and will be the best she will ever skate. She has had plenty of opportunities to prove she is better than the little sprites that are coming up in the ranks but she hasn't done it so far. I wouldn't take the chance on her either.

If it were and injury, surgery or even something like a blade breaking, I may want to give her a pass but she gave no explanations with why she is doing so poorly and she doesn't seem to want to change.
    I don't think anyone's arguing she's better than the 'little sprites' where that means Adelina, Liza, Julia. However, many are arguing, and I agree, that for the third spot this year she is the best choice. Whether it was the best she'll ever skate or not she is reigning World Silver medalist. Whatever has happened at Euros she was also 4th at Worlds the year before.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I don't think anyone's arguing she's better than the 'little sprites' where that means Adelina, Liza, Julia. However, many are arguing, and I agree, that for the third spot this year she is the best choice. Whether it was the best she'll ever skate or not she is reigning World Silver medalist. Whatever has happened at Euros she was also 4th at Worlds the year before.
    I would not count gosviani among the "little sprites" because that's who leonova was booted for and who has to seek eligibility for euros! She could not even get a jr gp.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    However, many are arguing, and I agree, that for the third spot this year she is the best choice. Whether it was the best she'll ever skate or not she is reigning World Silver medalist. Whatever has happened at Euros she was also 4th at Worlds the year before.
    Obviously not, otherwise she would have earned one.

It's not like she did well at the grand prix and bombed nationals, she has done poorly all season. As far as her world medals goes, she ended up getting 7th at the WTT a few weeks later being beaten by fellow Russian Adelina Sotnikova who was 4th. At 22 she still has a few years to get it together; but she seems to be regressing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No way. If she bombs maybe. But if she lands her jumps, she will get 6's at least.
    Past Euro Korobeynikova had PCS 6.00-6.57 in FS with clean, very nice skating and good solid jumps, 3F+3T and 2A+3T combos.
    And Korobeynikova was known, as medalist of JGP Final.

Gosviani has not so good jumps. Her SS are good, but TR are poor.
    So, most probably, PCS will be lower.

Banned
    This soap opera is still going on. First they said they would decide the 3rd spot issue in the first days of 2013. But probably were too busy celebrating. Rsport.ru again talked to Minister of Sport V.Mutko and they guy assured that the issue will be solved out on 10/11 Jan. He also noted that the procedure wasn't violated and everything was done by book. Kovtun keeps twitting on his training.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I would not count gosviani among the "little sprites" because that's who leonova was booted for and who has to seek eligibility for euros! She could not even get a jr gp.
    Emily Hughes, among others, made her international debut at Junior Worlds without getting the JGP that season and did quite well. Nikol hasn't competed at Nationals since 2009, when she was 6th at Junior Nationals. I'm not sure why there was such a long layoff, but she seems to be promising. I'm very interested to see how her competition this week goes.

Banned
    Kovtun is going. Not Menshov. (from the official site of RusFed)

Custom Title
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/383_byuro-ff...oma-federacii/ (Russian)
    My translation:

FFKKR bureau didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation

FFKKR bureau at meeting on Thursday didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation on structure of Russian national team which will compete at the European championship in Zagreb. Into team entered: Pairs – Tatyana Volosozhar – Maxim Trankov, Yuko Kavaguti – Alexander Smirnov and Vera Bazarova – Yury Larionov; Men – Evgeny Plushenko, Sergey Voronov and Maxim Kovtun; Ice Dancee – Ekaterina Bobrova – Dmitry Solovyev, Elena Ilyinykh – Nikita Katsalapov, Ekaterina Ryazanov – Ilya Tkachenko; Ladies – Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Adelina Sotnikova and Nicol Gosviani.

The list of athletes recommended by Coach Council and approved by Executive committee of federation, remained without changes.

"Our decision is based on the accurate principles of selection stated in the Charter of FFKKR. Athletes or couples who have taken two first places in the championship of Russia, are selected in the national team automatically, the third numbers – according to the decision of Coach Council and FFKKR Executive committee. When forming national team these rules weren't violated.

Recommendations about personalities were stated by the Coach Council consisting of professionals. The management has no federation the slightest occasion to doubt competence of the Russian experts. So, I consider that this subject with formation of the national team is settled and the question is closed. Athletes should have the chance to prepare quietly for the forthcoming championship", - the president of federation Alexander Gorshkov declared after bureau meeting.

Olga YERMOLIN, press attache of FFKKR

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Now this girl who "couldn't even get a Jr. GP" just scored 29.50 in TES in the SP at Nesquik with PCS in high 5's. That TES score would have her 4th in the SP at JGPF this year and 5th in the SP at GPF (above Tuktamysheva and Gao). We'll see how the FS goes, but so far so great for Gosviani!

Custom Title
    Gosviani has minimum technical score at SP (for Worlds, not only Euro)
    1 Nikol GOSVIIANI RUS 51.16 29.50 22.66 5.58 5.42 5.75 5.75 5.83 1.00
    http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/2012/MNNTC13/SEG014.HTM

If she will have also technical score at FS (it is very probable) - no problem for her to be at Euro.

But deduction

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Now this girl who "couldn't even get a Jr. GP" just scored 29.50 in TES in the SP at Nesquik with PCS in high 5's. That TES score would have her 4th in the SP at JGPF this year and 5th in the SP at GPF (above Tuktamysheva and Gao). We'll see how the FS goes, but so far so great for Gosviani!
    Gosviani's problem is (was?) FS, not SP.
    Her SP TES at Open Moscow and 1st Event of Russian Cup (other her competitions were too late with respect to JGP Events) - 30.95 and 34.21, even higher than at Mentor Nestle Nesquik Torun Cup 2013.
    But at FS she had two(!) triples with one fall at Open Moscow and four triples (including one downgraded) with two falls at 1st Event of Russian Cup.

Gosviani was not in Team Russia, i.e. had not good results of previous season.

Could USFS or Japanese Federation send to JGP a girl with these results? Federation of Russia did not.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, but not 2 spots, typically. In a similar case, Gracie Gold, who had bombed in the previous Junior Ladies National championship, was given a spot at the last JGP event of the season, based on her performance in summer & fall competitions in country, and on the previous event of the JGP season and physical condition of other skaters who had only one JGP event to that point.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes, but not 2 spots, typically. In a similar case, Gracie Gold, who had bombed in the previous Junior Ladies National championship, was given a spot at the last JGP event of the season, based on her performance in summer & fall competitions in country, and on the previous event of the JGP season and physical condition of other skaters who had only one JGP event to that point.
    Gracie was not at Nationals-2011, she bombed at Midwestern Sectional Championships.

Gracie had very good results just before JGP Events, Nikol no. It's a difference.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Thanks for the correction-what I was getting at is that it is possible for a US skater to do badly in a preceding season and get a JGP berth, at least one.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/383_byuro-ff...oma-federacii/ (Russian)
    My translation:

FFKKR bureau didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation

FFKKR bureau at meeting on Thursday didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation on structure of Russian national team which will compete at the European championship in Zagreb. Into team entered: Pairs – Tatyana Volosozhar – Maxim Trankov, Yuko Kavaguti – Alexander Smirnov and Vera Bazarova – Yury Larionov; Men – Evgeny Plushenko, Sergey Voronov and Maxim Kovtun; Ice Dancee – Ekaterina Bobrova – Dmitry Solovyev, Elena Ilyinykh – Nikita Katsalapov, Ekaterina Ryazanov – Ilya Tkachenko; Ladies – Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Adelina Sotnikova and Nicol Gosviani.

The list of athletes recommended by Coach Council and approved by Executive committee of federation, remained without changes.
    Mmmm. So it is now official that Nicol Gosviani has got into the team for Europeans.

I have to admit, I was impressed by Nicol’s performance at the Russian Nationals. But, not to the extent to put her in the Russian team.

You have to ask – in the year before hosting the Olympics, is it wise for Russia to send a team of THREE ROOKIES to the Europeans and/or the Worlds?! You would have thought they would have had at least one skater on the team that had experience of a major tournament.

As I said before, I would have picked Korobeynikova. OK, so Polina is not much older than Adelina and Liza, and she is not as good as Alena and Ksenia are when they are at their best. But, at least she has one year of experience at both tournaments under her belt (as opposed to Adelina, Liza and Nicol, who have none), and she is on the upward curve (whereas Alena and Ksenia are on the downward curve).

But, good luck to Nicol. I hope she surprises all the doubters!

CaroLiza_fan

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast