Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds

Custom Title
    She remains Unqualified for worlds

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I agree that Kovtun is promising but Menshov earned his spot fair and square and given how old he is, it might have been his last chance for a Euros medal. :(

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Gosviani singled two jumps in her free skate in her qualifying event for euros. Hope she doesn't do that again. Without jumps there is no reason to send her.
    Without jumps?

She has landed 3flip/3toe (!!!), 3loop, 3salchow, 3lutz/2toe, then stepped out of 3flip and singled her two final jumping passes.

That's 4 triples there, 5 rotated, no downgrades. That's definitely good enough.

And her PCS were in high 5s, which is high for a junior event without any big name skaters taking part.

She remains Unqualified for worlds
    She has the SP score and needs to earn the FS one now.

Although I bet that Worlds minimums are going to get lowered.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-12-2013 at 01:35 PM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Without jumps?

She has landed 3flip/3toe (!!!), 3loop, 3salchow, 3lutz/2toe, then stepped out of 3flip and singled her two final jumping passes.

That's 4 triples there, 5 rotated, no downgrades. That's definitely good enough.

And her PCS were in high 5s, which is high for a junior event without any big name skaters taking part.
    And quite frankly that performance is as good or better than anything Leonova has done this season:
    Skate America: five non UR triples (lutz got edge call)
    Cup of Russia: three triples
    Russian nationals: five triples (edge call and step out on lutz)

And she's short of qualifying for Worlds, but she can get it at Euros.

Custom Title
    Definitely not better than leonova on pcs. qualifying may be based on Tes but results are pcs than Tes. The Russian federation has already decided to dump leonova for someone who wasn't eligible anyway until today. But they chose a singler of two jumps which is certainly not better than leonova but rather equal but with lower pcs.

skating philosopher
    Definitely not better than leonova on pcs. qualifying may be based on Tes but results are pcs than Tes. The Russian federation has already decided to dump leonova for someone who wasn't eligible anyway until today. But they chose a singler of two jumps which is certainly not better than leonova but rather equal but with lower pcs.
    The fact is that PCS leonova gets wasn't even enough to make up for poor performances. Leonova has been poor all season and I see no reason why someone who beat her shouldn't be given a chance. (For the record I also disagree with Kovtum being chosen over Menshov).

As for singling jumps -- Nikol isn't the first nor the last to single a jump (or even multiple ones) a FS. Despite those two mistakes she still scored 91, which is pretty good at the junior level.

Let's see how she does at Euros.

Yes, we don't have to forget that in the Junior programs they don't have the ChSq, so the score would be at least 2 points higher: 93 is a pretty good score for Euros and I think that, in a stronger Senior field, her PCS would be a couple of points higher, too... And she made also a mistake in the last spin, so another 1.5 (at least) points would usually be there. I think that, even with some mistakes, her score can be around 100 at Euros, and that would be enough to keep Nikol at least in the Top 10/15, with a decent SP...

She has just landed a 3flip/3toe combination at an international competition and skated two decent programs. FS wasn't perfect but there were 4 triples there. When was the last time Leonova has done that? (Hint: Never)

Custom Title
    Obviously people have Singled jumps before but she was chosen over the world silver medalist for euros when she wasn't eligible so why not have a high standard for her right now.

There is no chsq but the reason why her Tes didn't reach worlds level was because off singled jumps.

Leonova has not done triple flip triple toe but all the winners recently of major events haven't done it either. So that particular combo is not necessary and neither is a lutz because pcs is most important.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She has just landed a 3flip/3toe combination at an international competition and skated two decent programs. FS wasn't perfect but there were 4 triples there. When was the last time Leonova has done that? (Hint: Never)
    Ouch! Ouch! But true unfortunately. IMHO the girl's problem lies squarely between the ears. She needs to find away to zone out what everyone else is doing and just do her thing. She cannot cope with her nerves it looks like (personal opinion here). And who wants a skater to go out like that. But, my goodness the depth of women skaters is Russia is extraordinary!!

Custom Title
    Everything but triple flip triple toe part Is not "never" it was all the time last season and even the 4 to 5 triples is true this season. She has been doing more triples than Mao!

skating philosopher
    Eh, we all have our different opinions. For being her first international competition in like 3 years, I think it was a good first effort.

Leonova has not done triple flip triple toe but all the winners recently of major events haven't done it either. So that particular combo is not necessary and neither is a lutz because pcs is most important.
    You keep repeating that PCS is most important but PCS means nothing if you aren't landing your jumps. Did PCS help Leonova to place well at her GP events?

Custom Title
    Leonovas pcs didn't help leonova medal or anything but her scores would've been lower. Mao did two kinds of triples to win an event - four in total so pcs does matter most. Kostner abandoned lutz. Pcs does matter a lot and is most important and because it's a guarantee leonovas pcs would be better than gosvianis that should have mattered more. If you have two people and one will get lower pcs even if they land all their jumps and another could land similar jumps but higher pcs the second person should be sent.

skating philosopher
    To me it's about the merit of sending someone to Euros. Leonova has not had a good competition nearly a year. Nikol is not perfect, but she has shown that she can at least do a decent job and she did enough to beat Leonova, DESPITE the PCS.

Leonovas pcs didn't help leonova medal or anything but her scores would've been lower. Mao did two kinds of triples to win an event - four in total so pcs does matter most. Kostner abandoned lutz. Pcs does matter a lot and is most important and because it's a guarantee leonovas pcs would be better than gosvianis that should have mattered more. If you have two people and one will get lower pcs even if they land all their jumps and another could land similar jumps but higher pcs the second person should be sent.
    You keep on saying this - and I mean "keep on" - but Leonova is not Mao, nor is she Kostner. What they can get away with, she can't - not even close.

And for the record - I'm not saying we should "write off" Leonova - I'm not in favour of "writing off" anyone anyway - but just now things are clearly not working for her. I don't think another potential disaster at Euros' would be good for her confidence. Maybe she should take a step back, a little time out, so she can come back re-invigorated. Also, I cannot fathom your "Obi Wan Leonova, you're the only hope of Russian skating!" attitude either. To be frank.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast