2013 Korea Figure Skating Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 Korea Figure Skating Championships

bluesky85

On the Ice
So Korea has 2 spots for Jr. Worlds in the ladies. Who will they send with So-Yeon? HaeJin Kim was in 4th, but I've never heard of DaBin Choi. She looks young (found a 2012 Korean Nats video of hers) perhaps she's too young to go to Jr. Worlds?

Dabin Choi was born in January 2000, so she is not age-eligible for Jr. Worlds. I think it will still be Haejin. Also, I heard that the Korean Skating Union selects Jr. Worlds team from the Jr. Grand Prix Circuit instead of the nationals, which means, whoever earns the highest points during the Grand Prix series would be sent to Jr. Worlds. This year it was Haejin and So Youn, so these two will get to go to Jr. Worlds.

bluesky85

On the Ice
I think most of the top ten is too young for 4cc/Worlds and I Choi is too young even for Junior Worlds, and she's not the only one. I tried to work out who would be the 3rd girl to 4CC if Yu-Na doesn't go, but I don't think there'll be one because not enough girls with the tech score are old enough. Which means Hae-Jin Kim goes there if she wants to.

Unfortunately, Min jeong Kwak is still injured, ChaeYeon is not doing well (although she has the minimum scores), HoJung Lee is also not doing well (and she doesn't have the minimum score, either) and other girls who have the minimum scores are all age-ineligibles. So it might just be HaeJin Kim and YeonJoon Park.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Dabin Choi was born in January 2000, so she is not age-eligible for Jr. Worlds. I think it will still be Haejin. Also, I heard that the Korean Skating Union selects Jr. Worlds team from the Jr. Grand Prix Circuit instead of the nationals, which means, whoever earns the highest points during the Grand Prix series would be sent to Jr. Worlds. This year it was Haejin and So Youn, so these two will get to go to Jr. Worlds.

So she's only 13 (or about to turn 13). What a cutie!

Here's a fan cam of her SP to Annie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xHuV4BDLmA

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, she is only 12 or 13. Thanks for posting the link. She is really cute! She's really young and tiny, but her jumps look quite big for her size :)

Yes they are quite nice, though she has a flutz. She'll be old enough for JGP this fall, so here's hoping So-Yeon and Hae-Jin do well at Jr. Worlds and maximize JGP spots for Korea!

Da-Bin Choi's jumps are great. Really large considering how tiny she is and her flutz looks quite slight to me. Hopefully it can still be fixed.

But she's pretty much walking through the ice. Gets very little glide and her ice coverage is really poor. She seemed to skate totally through the music well. Basics definitely need improving.

bluesky85

On the Ice
Da-Bin Choi's jumps are great. Really large considering how tiny she is and her flutz looks quite slight to me. Hopefully it can still be fixed.

But she's pretty much walking through the ice. Gets very little glide and her ice coverage is really poor. She seemed to skate totally through the music well. Basics definitely need improving.

I thought her jumps reminded me a bit of Mao when she was little, so I am afraid that Dabin might also lose many of her jumps when she grows bigger... She looks like she is only 4 feet 7 inches tall or something. Standing beside Yuna, she barely reached Yuna's shoulder...

Does anybody know anything about Na Hyun Kim? She has high scores (behind Choi Hwi) and her consistency is pretty good, but somehow she looks very stiff and her jumps look kind of... not so clean.

Also, can anybody comment on Choi Hwi? She did better here than she had done in the Grand Prix Circuit... but I am still quite new to figure skating so I am not sure how to assess her overall performance...

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just got to gush a little ... so great to see Yuna back! For me, she is mesmerizing. Really. Yes, in this comp her spins are a little slow, little nitpicky things aren't up to her incredible standard, but to have been out of competition so long and still give such a mesmerizing performance -- she is just IT for me. Love the way she moves, the height of her jumps. She's the perfect blend of grace and athleticism to me -- I just love the way she moves on the ice. For me, among the best ever. Really. I hope she adds a lot more gold to her collection in the next few seasons.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This poster has the broadcast version of the top six ladies: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh5ey_9oqPR2NaYcdWBOvuI9xsOSC7kQu

Most of them had the harder jumps, which is good. Besides Yuna, So-Yeon Park's skates were my favorite -- she is quite musical and has nice flow and speed -- she just has to work on clean programs.
Here are the girls did a 3-3 in both or one of their programs
Yuna -3Z-3T (both)
So-Yeon 3S-3T (SP)
Da-Bin 3T-3T (FS)

Last edited:

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Fabulous! Best long program (for me) of the season...love the footwork! A little more training on the spins and jump landings and she's golden...I'd still like to see her work on her line which isn't the greatest at times but overall wonderful...I can't wait to see more.

bibi24

Final Flight
Fabulous! Best long program (for me) of the season...love the footwork! A little more training on the spins and jump landings and she's golden...I'd still like to see her work on her line which isn't the greatest at times but overall wonderful...I can't wait to see more.

Are you talking about Park So-Youn?

Yeah, pointing her toes wouldn't hurt.