Lutz or Flutz? | Golden Skate

Lutz or Flutz?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Can someone tell me, a layman, if any of the ladies landed a true lutz, or is "flutzing" still an issue? Thanks.............42

Lucy25

Final Flight
Well, Sasha and Jenny had horrible flutzes. Michelle had a very slight one. I can't remember Amber or Angela.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
flutz

angela almost never flutzes. amber and michelle have straight edge entries. sasha and jenny flutzed (but not as badly as sarah), and ap lipped.

It's not nice to agree with but I'm afraid the flutz is a semi-offical jump caled "an attempted lutz". Russian gals have the best true lutzes, and the American Men also have good lutzes. Kwan has a good lutz or at her worst a flat take off. Sasha, Sarah and Jennie have true flutzes from the inside edge.

some judges demand true lutzes but most do not, unfortunately. There is no reason why any skater has to flutz. It's a nervous reaction or a lack of learing the jump correctly.

Joe

mission99

Spectator
I think some of the worst flutzes in history are those of Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski, Nicole Bobek. JMO! but i have never seen any of the three do a true lutz.

katherine2001

On the Ice
For those of you who are skaters, why do you think that coaches allow skaters to learn to do the jump wrong? Why don't they correct the problem as soon as they see a student doing a flutz? The longer the skater does a *flutz*, the harder it is going to be to teach him/her to do it correctly.

I'm ambivalent about whether much should be taken off if they do it in the long program, but I definitely think they should be penalized in the SP. The SP is a technical program where they are supposed to show that they can do particular elements, and a *flutz* isn't a lutz. So, why do some judges not penalize them for not doing what they are supposed to be doing?

sk8m8

Final Flight
katherine, the skaters probably do get dinged for "flutzing" which is almost becoming ubiquitous with a lutz where the edge "turns over" before the jump.

It is considered an "attempted lutz' and therefore recieves a fairly high mark of landing a triple jump (usually out of footwork, these days) and the jump isn't marked down (if completed) but the entrance is, so there is an 1-3 point dedcution when someone "flutzes."

The difference between a flutz and a lutz or flip is simply this... a flutz entrance starts out as an outside edge and turns over to an inside one. A true lutz maintians an outside edge from the setup to the finish and a flip does the same thing, only on an indside edge. So there is reason for naming it something in between, but it STILL isn't a TRUE lutz or flip.

However, rumors on the judging circuit are that they are sending a message now and if it isn't corrected in the next generation of skaters (within 5 years) that it will be scored as a missed element, or a downgraded combo element in which one triple lutz will be required to be perfomred to meet the short program requirements.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Why don't they correct the problem as soon as they see a student doing a flutz?

I think that a true Lutz takes more strength because of having to rotate in the oposite direction, which is awkward.

You can sit there and scream at your car "Fly! Fly I say! Why don't you fly damn it?" but it can't do what it can't do, so it isn't always the coach's fault.

Add to that the fact that the judges had no problem with handing the last two Olympic titles to gals with obvious horrid flutzes, and there you get a group of coaches/skaters/parents who're fairly confident that the judges could give a toss about a true Lutz. Why waste the time when the judges have made it perfectly clear with the past two victories that a 3/3 or two is all they care about.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Regarding the lutz/flutz situation, I am hoping things will change once CoP is in effect.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Can some expert here told me if Michelle changed her entry to her 2nd lutz in LP? There is a girl who practices with Michelle every week called Michelle changed Lutz entry when she did her 2nd lutz in LP.

IDLERACER

Medalist
So tell me...When a skater attempts a toe loop and it comes out looking more like a flip jump, is it called a "Floop"? :D

ritymeez

Rinkside
Okay, this has been bothering for quite awhile and I would be really thankful if somebody can clarify something for me.

Well I know there are three toe jumps: the toe loop, lutz, and the flip. The lutz is on the outside edge, the flip is on the inside edge, what is the toe loop on, the flat edge?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha's 'flutz' takes off from her inside back edge. There is no flipping from outside edge to inside edge, as we saw with Sarah. My take is that Sasha has never learned a true lutz. There is virtually no difference between her 'flutz' and her 'flip'. That being the case, she could potentially be penalized because in effect, her FS has two identical flip combinations and two triple flips.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
The lutz is on the outside edge, the flip is on the inside edge, what is the toe loop on, the flat edge?

The lutz is on the outside edge of the left foot, the flip is on the inside edgeof the left foot , the toe loop is on the outside edgeof the right foot

All 6 jumps land on the outside edge of the right foot (unless one is a clockwise skater like Sarah Hughes or Todd Eldridge) . Only the toeloop and the loop take off from the outside right edge, that is why you only see toe loops and loops as the second jump in combinations.

nymkfan51

Medalist
berthes ... I like the way you explain things ... clear, concise and easy for the non-skaters to understand. Thanks :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great responses........now here's another lame question from me........if some of the skaters take off from the flat of their skate, either on a lutz or a flip, instead of an inside or an outside edge, is it then called something different? 42

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Taking off of the flat

show 42 said:
Great responses........now here's another lame question from me........if some of the skaters take off from the flat of their skate, either on a lutz or a flip, instead of an inside or an outside edge, is it then called something different? 42
If a skater attempting a lutz took off of the flat, I believe it would still technically be called a flutz. Though I think most would soften in by calling it a "slight flutz" or "minor flutz." Switching to the opposite edge is a worse mistake.

Not sure about the flip.