On the Ice
Best and Worst Skating Moments of 2012
2013 is upon us, but in the spirit of all the New Year celebrations, I thought that it would be fun to look back on the best (and worst) skating moments of 2012.
Some of the best things for me were:
Daisuke Takahashi's FS at 2012 Nationals
Daisuke's FS at Worlds, and just his "Blues For Klook" program in general
Yuzuru Hanyu's amazing FS at Worlds
Virtue/Moir's "Carmen" program
Mao Asada's beautiful "Swan Lake" program
Johnny Weir's failed "comeback"
Alissa Czisny's injury and disaster at Worlds
Akiko Suzuki losing NHK
What do you think is the best and worst of 2012?
Best: Daisuke's FS at the World Team Trophy and Ashley Wagner's winning free skates at Skate America and TEB
Worst: Adam Rippon and Nan Song colliding, and Suzuki losing NHK
Hanyu's FS at 2012 Worlds - His ability to refocus and do a 3A+3T right after that shocking fall was impressive
Plushenko signing a letter in opposition to anti-gay legislation; Some westerners could learn from his example
Hanyu's Parisienne Walkways SP - Great choreography, and he executes it so well
Davis/White winning their 4th GPF
Chan getting a much needed reality check
The overall state of ladies skating (but Kim's comeback will hopefully force everyone to get their acts together)
Czisny, 2012 Worlds. Enough said.
The "interesting" judging at Skate Canada International
Bona Fide Member
Best of Calander year 2012
Davis and White
Being in warm San Jose for US Nats and MK's induction
Ashley's hard fall at the GPF
Seeing Lynn K. get cut on the back of her ankle at practice at SA-Kent (thankfully not serious)
Missing Miki Ando
The land of SnuggleBat and Cuddlepie
My best and worst of 2012 (warnings for total bias :P)
Artur wins the Euros SP in magnificent style
Joshua demolishes the field at Lake Placid JGP
Joshua and Jason score medals at the Junior World Championships
Jason lands the triple Axel for the first time at the Junior Grand Prix Final
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's mighty performance at Russian Nationals
Chan's surprise that his opponents at Japan Open actually came to compete
Artur's problems with his legs going numb - from March, ongoing
Related: the expression on Artur's face after Worlds/Skate Canada/Cup of Russia
Hearing Plushenko's terrifying tales of defying dr's orders
Joshua's drugged-up skate at the JGPF
Jason's new short program (and costume) *shoves earplugs in*
- Lysacek/Plushenko coming back, potential renewal of rivalry? (even as 2nd strings).
- Competitive Japanese Nationals Men's / dominate in GP series.
- Mao edging Wagner at GPF against odds.
- Weir coming back, publicly asking for donations towards training funds, then calling it quits.
- Nan Song injury.
- Takahiko Kozuka injury.
- Oda no longer keeping up.
- Another dreadful season for Abbott compounded with injury.
- Akiko's sorrow at Nationals (hope she cheers up and use it as motivation).
Bona Fide Member
For me the best.... Plushy's Euros' win - "He's like a warrior in action, isn't he? Back on the battlefield, controlling it" as Nicky Slater said. I won't go so far as to say that the worst is the disappearance of the BESP video from Youtube - blocked by none other than, apparently, the ISU !!!???!!!! - but I will say it made me feel quite.... miffed.
Off the ice
In more or less chronological order:
- Evgeni Plushenko's performance at Euros.
- Ashley Wagner wins US Nats.
- Carolina Kostner, world champion.
- Brian Joubert somehow manages to skate really well at Worlds.
- Pechalat/Bourzat finally medal (and awesome bronze medalists all around) at Worlds.
- Team France and Team Italy at the WTT.
- Carolina Kostner's SP at the WTT.
- Daisuke Takahashi's LP at the WTT.
- Seeing Kurt Browning in an official competition.
- Mao Asada's resurgence and Yuna's return.
- A really meh Euros.
- That we never got to see a great performance of Pina in the ISU Championships.
- The outcome of the men's event at Worlds. I don't know if I find it more disappointing that Chan won the LP or that the audience booed him. Really unfortunate all around.
- Daiksuke Takahashi reuniting with Nikolai Morozov. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?
- Some of the very unfortunate injuries to good skaters. I am especially worried about Yretha Silete, who'd shown some promise last season, ended the season on a down note at the WTT, and is out for the year with a very serious knee injury.
- Alena Leonova's implosion this season, and I don't even like her that much.
- Volosozhar/Trankov's programs and marks.
- The increasing cookie-cutterization of figure skating. I've found so little to get excited about this season.
Bona Fide Member
ISU has blocked some videos of Plushy, and I don't know why. I was angry because I also adored the ES version.
Originally Posted by LRK