Question about Japan and their skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Question about Japan and their skaters

cinnamon

On the Ice
In one word, Mao has everything that Japanese people like.
Btw I found this video for this thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnTRVRZGAM
It's 2003 Japanese nationals. Suguri skated to Swan Lake to win, 2nd place was Onda, 3rd Shizuka, 4th Yukina, 5th Miki, 6th Yukari, 7th Mao, 8th Mai, 9th Akiko.
At 11:46 young Mao and Kanako were watching, then at 11:59 Miki was watching the podium. :)

minze

Medalist
In one word, Mao has everything that Japanese people like.
Btw I found this video for this thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnTRVRZGAM
It's 2003 Japanese nationals. Suguri skated to Swan Lake to win, 2nd place was Onda, 3rd Shizuka, 4th Yukina, 5th Miki, 6th Yukari, 7th Mao, 8th Mai, 9th Akiko.
At 11:46 young Mao and Kanako were watching, then at 11:59 Miki was watching the podium. :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. that video is so cute mao is looking at the podium like one day I will be there:)

roma

On the Ice
The Japanese public loves Mao because of her perceived personality. She's quietly mentally tough. And not at all spiteful or hateful. Always trying her best. Persevering. Does all the things that make her a champion with a smile and without causing a furor.

Miki has been known to show her emotional instability on twitter, for example, and so she appears to be more of a drama queen type to Mao.
Akiko is a sweet girl but she has not had the success that Mao has had.

But it's the rare and uncommon combination of unassuming stoicism and sunny sweetness that Mao projects that makes her a star.

Also, I think Mao has so many outstanding qualities besides her jumps that make her a special skater. Her presence on the ice is breathe-taking. I find myself watching Mao's performances again and again (and Daisuke's as well) but not the other skaters.

I couldn't have described it any better than this. I've been a Mao fan since the first time I've seen her skate -- that beaming smile after giving a wonderful performance, I can still remember it. She so unassuming. I'm also a fan of Miki, Akiko and Kanako (the Japanese ladies are amazing) but there's just something about Mao that is so endearing that I cannot describe.

rondoboy

Rinkside
I know skating is very important in Japan. And they love their skaters. My question is, having so many elite skaters why did the Japanese decide that Mao Asada was their sweethheart over skaters like Miki and Akiko. I am a huge Mao fan, but the Japanese media give her too much preference. I was watching a program after Nationals and they spend half of the time talking about Mao.

If I was Miki or Akiko I will feel bad

Miki has not competed since 2011 Worlds and is questionable if she comes back next season, so I see it is quite natural they did not talk a lot about Miki if you meant a program after the latest Nationals. Japanese TV used to feature Miki as well while she was in the competitive field.

Akiko is a lovely skater and lots of Japanese FS fans cheer for her as well. I think, however, being a great skater is one thing and being a mega star is quite another. I’d rather find it natural that Japanese TVs would spend more time on Mao than other female skaters because Mao brings considerable audience share. That said, many, and that does include Mao fans, seem to feel uncomfortable with the way a figure skating event was/is broadcasted in Japan. Mediamorphosis on any skater is not appreciated either. Besides, I believe Akiko is not such a narrow minded person who feels bad because of national medium focusing more on Mao than her.

As for why Mao is so popular in Japan, some posters had explained much better than I could.
Let me quate one of them:)

The Japanese public loves Mao because of her perceived personality. She's quietly mentally tough. And not at all spiteful or hateful. Always trying her best. Persevering. Does all the things that make her a champion with a smile and without causing a furor.

But it's the rare and uncommon combination of unassuming stoicism and sunny sweetness that Mao projects that makes her a star.

Also, I think Mao has so many outstanding qualities besides her jumps that make her a special skater. Her presence on the ice is breathe-taking.

This! :agree: I find Moa's skating so exquisite!:yay:

I understand that her skating style does not necessarily hit a fancy of everyone. But it is just difficult not to respect her for her excellent work ethic regardless who you are rooting for. I am especially impressed that she has never made any excuses despite all the struggle and hardship she had to go through last couple of years. It appears to me that she not only looks lovely but has a lot to correspond to Japanese sense of value. Well...there is something very special with her but it is hard for me to put it into word. After all I think she is a born star, at least in Japan:)