Japan's Takahashi to quit after Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan's Takahashi to quit after Sochi

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Japan has produced a superstar male skater loved round the world. We will see if young Hanyu can follow up. He's a rock star there, simply put. He leaves us with great performances to watch like Buttle, Lambiel, Yagudin, Plush and even Evan. He is the best skater to come from the East as yet. His coaching will be formidable. Japan
=singles greatness in the last decade. Really quite awesome.
I like the way you say Even Evan because I think he is a great competitor but his programs aren't exactly works of art imho. He is not a personality even like non Oly medallist Johnny Weir or OSM/OGM Plushy, not reknowned for something extra ordinary ie spins like Lucinda Ruh, huge jumps like Elivis Stoijko.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I figured this announcement was going to come eventually, so let's enjoy him in his final seasons as an Olympic eligible. May he continue his post eligible career by coaching!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm slightly surprised he won't go to Tokyo in 2014, actually. That's where I'd hoped he would win his second worlds.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How about this years?! I sooooooo see him taking the title at fake-London as many do.

I wanted Kozuka to win this year in London. Since Kozuka won't be in London, my dream's in ruins. I don't see Takahashi winning Worlds this year to be honest - Hanyu is really setting himself up for huge scores (as are the judges). I don't find Takahashi's programs that special this season, so while I root for him based on his remarkable worth ethic, terrific performance qualiy and going for the gusto, it's not enough for me to hope that he wins over my personal favourites or those I have a narrative jones for.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I wanted Kozuka to win this year in London. Since Kozuka won't be in London, my dream's in ruins. I don't see Takahashi winning Worlds this year to be honest - Hanyu is really setting himself up for huge scores (as are the judges). I don't find Takahashi's programs that special this season, so while I root for him based on his remarkable worth ethic, terrific performance qualiy and going for the gusto, it's not enough for me to hope that he wins over my personal favourites or those I have a narrative jones for.

Just say that you are a PChan fan (not that it's a big secret :laugh:). That would be enough. :bow:

While Yuzuru is doing SOOO great this season and is receiving higher PCS than he deserves in doing so, I believe if Dai brings his game to fake-London and gets the PCS he deserves, he's got much better chance of becoming the WC than Hanyu has no matter how he does there.

Yes, I truly believe that the PCS difference between Yuzu and Dai should be much different. Yuzuru's time is closing in, but not just now while Dai is out there.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
a very rightful decision as he will soon pass the crown to my Prince Yuzuru
Dai has contributed a lot to the sport and is ready to pass the Japanese legacy to the new kids on the block soon a new King will be cemented

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
He says right after Sochi, but I could see him changing his mind and deciding to go to the 2014 Worlds as well. I kind of expected 2014 to be his last season, as he's been around for awhile and has been injured. I'll miss him though!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

I think Dai definitely has a chance to win Worlds this year in London and it is foolish to think he doesnt. Hanyu is not a lock to beat Takahashi, he lost to him at the GP final where Takahashi has some big mistakes, and lost the LP to him at their last 3 events together, and even with Hanyus ridiculously inflated PCS he still will always get lower PCS than Takahashi as this point in time and Takahashi is also capable of very high TES. Chan is not a lock either the way he is skating this year, even with Worlds in Canada, especialy as the judges are finally coming back down to earth on him. Dai has atleast equal odds of winning Worlds this year as those other two.

Me thinks your dream of Kozuka winning Worlds was simply that even if he made it, a dream, but if you think Kozuka actually had a chance to win Worlds, then 110% for sure Takahshi definitely has that chance. :laugh:

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Lets put it this way: I believe Takahashi can win. If you asked me to make a prediction, I'd predict Hanyu winning.

My hope for Kozuka was entirely a hopediction (hope rationalized as a prediction). Or more accurately, my hope was...

2013: Podium of Kozuka-Fernandez-Abbott (or Takahashi)
2014: Podium of Takahashi-Hanyu-Kozuka
2015: Podium of Hanyu-Fernandez-Song
2016: .... Ehh, you get the idea :D

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Lets put it this way: I believe Takahashi can win. If you asked me to make a prediction, I'd predict Hanyu winning.

My hope for Kozuka was entirely a hopediction (hope rationalized as a prediction). Or more accurately, my hope was...

2013: Podium of Kozuka-Fernandez-Abbott (or Takahashi)
2014: Podium of Takahashi-Hanyu-Kozuka
2015: Podium of Hanyu-Fernandez-Song
2016: .... Ehh, you get the idea :D

I think Hanyu is being overrated. I think he can win both the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics, but I dont think he is the odds on favorite to win the 2013 Worlds, and the near lock for the 2014 Olympic Gold, as many now are having him. His PCS, as ridiculously OVERrated as they are, are still deservedly going to be lower than both Takahashi and Chan until he improves further. His TES will be unbeatable if he is on, since no man can match the GOEs of his jumps or spins (jumps especialy), and he is probably doing the most difficult program, but he is not all that consistent, and rarely or ever does clean competitions, granted neither are his competitors.

My dream podium would be the same as yours for 2013 except replacing Kozuka with Takahashi. I love Fernandez and Abbott but dont except to ever see Abbott on a World podium at this point (please prove me wrong), while Fernandez definitely will be on one at some point IMHO (but who knows, who would have thought Oda would never make one, and he now clearly never ever will make one) but maybe not this year, maybe a better chance for next year if he ups his GOE and PCS enough he doesnt need to land 3 or 4 quads or need Chan or Hanyu to blow totally. I honestly dont get the love for Kozuka, he has nice programs, but I dont find his performance skills that great, I find he looks down while he skates, isnt that exciting or interesting despite the good choreography, and his elements are good but nothing special compared to the top guys. I think he could win another World medal someday (could, not neccessarily will) but I think his silver at the 2011 Worlds will always be his career high point. Frankly I wouldnt want a skater like him ranked that high, as it means someone like Chan has no competition and can win every event falling atleast 4 times, if someone like Kozuka is the best that is challenging him, since someone like that is no challenge to someone like Chan. I see him as the Japanese federation do, the perennial #3 if things all go as planned, an emergency #1 or #2 if others struggle, and what he is this year, off the World team, if he doesnt skate well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kozuka is one of those skaters who is just better seen live than on TV...something about the ease, edging and flow of his skating...The first time I ever saw him live was at Skate America this year, and I really get what the hype is about now..

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Kozuka is one of those skaters who is just better seen live than on TV...something about the ease, edging and flow of his skating...The first time I ever saw him live was at Skate America this year, and I really get what the hype is about now..

Fair enough. I admit he is one skater I have not seen live, despite that I have seen a number of live events in Canada and the U.S. Maybe if I did I would feel differently. On TV he comes across to me as Dick Button would put it "that was an ok performance", "that was a little skate" kind of way. I have also been validated thus far in thinking that my thinking is right when the judges who do see him live are posting scores for him that indicate they feel the same thing mostly, even for his better skates, hence what seems to frusterate some of his fans.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think any man in the top 5 being considered is a lock to win Worlds. It's going to come down to who lands their quads, who skates clean and who puts in the best performance. All of the men have failed at one time or another to fulfill all that. All I know is it's going to be a great competition.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
My odds to win Worlds at this point would be:

Takahashi- 35%
Hanyu- 30%
Chan- 25%
Fernandez-5% (his odds to medal I think are quite decent, but not to win)
All others combined- 5%

Some might disagree with these, but what I think we can all agree on is the first 3 are quite close, and Fernandez is the only other possible but a real long shot to actually WIN this year. I really really hope it is Takahashi his year though. This will shock people but I would much rather Chan win than Hanyu. The hype around Hanyu lately is nauseating me, and his inflated PCS and even sometimes exagerrated GOEs are becoming an evcen bigger joke than Chans being guaranteed to win every event with 6 falls and all others clean for 2-3 years was. Now that Chans scores have come down to earth somewhat (PCS still overgenerous for some of his sloppier, more error prone skates, but you cant expect the judges to be perfect when it comes to their pets) and he has managed to shut up his loudmouth he used to bring to press conferences, and keep it in his head mostly at last, he isnt all that bad. On another note that other Canadian loudmouth Scott Moir has also kept his trap shut this year, even at the GP final where IMO he would have had legitimate reason to complain unlike many times he did in the past with no legitimate reason to, so maybe the CSA has clammed Chan and Moir up, and if they did bravo to them for that.

Last edited:

amc987

On the Ice
Is Daisuke really planning to forego 2014 Worlds in Tokyo? Seems like competing there would be a perfect send-off for him. Regardless, it'll be sad not being able to see him skate after next year. Hope he wins the Olympics and another world title before he hangs up his skates.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
My hope is he is not eclipsed by Yuzu if JSF sees him winning medals, posting huge scores. Dai may be number two man going into Sochi. For me. Hanyu is a decade behind in age but moreso style. He is wild energy out there. The beautiful control Dai has in every program. Of course he falls but quickly resumes his musicality. Not many men are so musical. In the last decade, Buttle? Lambiel? Matt Savoie was a great stylist and under rated. Evan is artistic tho not in the same league as Dai, Buttle, Chan, Lambiel.

One other male skater at the near top skates with elan like Daisuke- our very own Adam Rippon. He is a great skater-may he get his head together, his jumps and show us he is in the class of men that is very small.

If Dai is in the pantheon of great artists, who is with him? I will go back to the big names, big medal winners. These skaters are I believe Skaters skaters. John Curry brought a beautiful body line. He had a balletic influence on the men. Robin Cousins was so versatile, so he eeks in here. I think booth Boitana and Orser were elegant men with the nod to Orser. Toller was a dancer, painter, skater. He is the most unique, talented skater. His elegance tells me he is a Dai fan. Kurt was an athlete but his pro years proved he was a dancer at heart with Nyah, In the rain, many more. Chan is alone with Dai and Adam Rippon for sheer elegance in the ranks of Amateurs. Javi is all around good but cannot bring people to tears. Maybe Abbott belongs in this group. He isn't a consistent jumper but Les Mis is wonderful if you see an easier version. Jeremy skates frpm his heart with love.

It is sad when a great one hangs up his skates. I hope Chan stays in. I hope he doesn't win cuz you know he'll retire. Like Kwan, I want to see him at 25. He should be awesome.

I even hate to see Plush leave. That is like a death in men's skating. His style improves and I'm glad we see him still. Just a hanful of greats every four years. Actually every 8 years.