Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachuusb View Post
    any word if Denney & Coughlin petitioning to get on the Worlds team?
    I don't think Coughlin will be healthy enough. He had similar surgery to Czsiny and she's STILL really recovering.

Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    Her twitter bio says she is "recovering", which probably indicates that something went wrong and she didn't just quit for the heck of it. Health and well being, whether physical, mental, or both, is of utmost importance of course. She's moved back home and hopefully is doing all right. Skating at this level is not easy.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I wish MBM the best of everything and really admired her courage in stepping back from skating since it appears that for whatever reason (whether health related, school related, personality related) that was truly what she wanted to do. I'm sure a fair number of people (including her partner, based on some of Rockne's comments) tried to talk her out of it and I admire her for knowing her own mind.

Doesn't mean I can't wish I could see her back on the ice

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Yankowskas & Reagan have WD. :(
    I heard they broke up. Is this true? Anyone know?

Custom Title
    Just read on IceNetwork that Denney/Coughlin are trying to petition onto the World team. Apparently Coughlin is now back on the ice and feels he'll be ready in time.

I personally am not in favor of this, unless both the top teams at Nationals perform quite badly.

Unless it's a complete unknown team in the second slot, I am against it as well.

Custom Title
    I'm not much of a fan of D/C, but I'm confused as to why one would be against D/C petitioning onto the world team. If he's healthy enough after an evaluation then I think the USFSA would be silly not to put them on the team. IMO,they've more than earned it. They've medaled on the GP for two straight seasons, defending national champions, 4cc medalists and 1st alternate to the gpf this season.

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Much as I hate to admit it, Denney & Coughlin really are our most successful pair right now, to an extent that it would be logical for them to get a spot to Worlds. There are a couple of pairs that could unseat them but they simply have not yet, even if it's a pity they now won't have the chance in Omaha(Maybe the USFSA should go for a skateoff for the 2nd Worlds spot?)

Custom Title
    Yes, D/C are our most successful pair. But their international success is at a rather minor level. They're not in contention for a World title or even the podium. Best-case scenario probably has them 6th or 7th at Worlds, and that's IF Coughlin is fully recovered. Yes, they would probably place better at Worlds than, say, Scimeca/Knierim. But their placement would not be sufficient to net real gains, such as a medal or a third pairs spot for 2014.

The USFSA usually does not allow petitioning onto the team. The cases when it's occurred have tended to involve very high-profile skaters who were proven contenders at the highest level. Michelle Kwan petitioned onto the team in 2006 as 5-time World champion and 2-time Olympic medalist. Nancy Kerrigan petitioned on in 1994 as an Olympic medalist and two-time World medalist. Belbin & Agosto petitioned on in 2009 as Olympic medalists and three-time World medalists.

D/C obviously do not have any credentials at that level, and their inclusion on the team is unlikely to lead to either a medal or a third pairs spot in 2014. Therefore, I see no reason to allow them on the team ahead of the second-place pair in Omaha, who will have worked hard to earn that silver medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Yankowskas & Reagan have WD. :(
    Oh man!! I was waiting for that debut all season long! this is so sad ;_;

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Yes, D/C are our most successful pair. But their international success is at a rather minor level. They're not in contention for a World title or even the podium. Best-case scenario probably has them 6th or 7th at Worlds, and that's IF Coughlin is fully recovered. Yes, they would probably place better at Worlds than, say, Scimeca/Knierim. But their placement would not be sufficient to net real gains, such as a medal or a third pairs spot for 2014.

The USFSA usually does not allow petitioning onto the team. The cases when it's occurred have tended to involve very high-profile skaters who were proven contenders at the highest level. Michelle Kwan petitioned onto the team in 2006 as 5-time World champion and 2-time Olympic medalist. Nancy Kerrigan petitioned on in 1994 as an Olympic medalist and two-time World medalist. Belbin & Agosto petitioned on in 2009 as Olympic medalists and three-time World medalists.

D/C obviously do not have any credentials at that level, and their inclusion on the team is unlikely to lead to either a medal or a third pairs spot in 2014. Therefore, I see no reason to allow them on the team ahead of the second-place pair in Omaha, who will have worked hard to earn that silver medal.
    I would agree with you if this were an Olympic year. However, we need to keep two slots, and if the top two do not stand a chance to do that...well, I would go ahead and allow them to petition in, IF they are skating up to their prior level. IOW, it would really suck to lose a slot for next year.

skating philosopher
    It's pretty impossible for the U.S. teams to lose a spot in Pairs given the limited number of entries. To keep up two spots, the teams' placements need to be 28 or lower. Consider there is only 15 teams will be there ( per Tony Wheeler's currrent list), both teams would have to finish in the bottom two. In the SB's list, C/S is No. 9 and S/K is 14. When take out D/C, C/S is now in No. 8 and S/K is 13th. So 13+8 =24.

Custom Title
    I'm torn about that decision. I suppose whichever the USFSA chooses I will be in support of. I think they'll have a hard time doing better than 7th. I just don't see them eclipsing any of the teams that beat them last year without perfect routines from them and major bobbles from the others (which is possible).

This grand prix their scores have been surprisingly close to some skaters like Kavaguti and Smirnov who seem to be losing more and more stock... but who knows! I will say that if this team decides to continue after after Sochi, or wants to make a splash at the Olympics at all, another trip to worlds with strong performances would be a huge help for them. The judges did see improvement in them and rewarded them thusly with two grand prix medals. They may yet be able to translate that in a gpf appearance next year... but I think going to worlds this year and showing consistency and building their reputation would be a valuable step.

But with that said I think the experience for a young pairs team to go to worlds would be invaluable. I don't know too much about our field right now. I HOPE HOPE that Castelli and Shnapir are able to build on their momentum from the fall and just bring it. It would be great to see them at worlds and I'd love to see them lock their ticket by winning. And I'd love to see Donlan and Speroff rebound. They showed so much promise and quality last year at nationals.

On a side-note does anyone else feel like Skating Club of Boston is having something of a revival? Between the young pairs teams, Ross Miner and now Christina Gao joining that camp the energy must be starting to buzz over there. As a former Bostonian and knowing Nationals will be there next year how great would it be to see all these skaters really come into their own and peak over the next year and a half!
    Last edited by samson; 01-19-2013 at 09:39 PM.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I hope that USFS waits to see how the top 2 teams at Nationals perform before making the decision.

Denney/Coughlin are the most accomplished and reliable US team by far but if top 2 at Nats really deliver it would be very unfair to them to exclude them from Worlds.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Also, USFS has a chance to see how the top 3 pair teams perform (and how they are judged internationally) at 4CC's. Usual practice is to announce the World & 4CC's teams immediately after Nationals. I wonder whether they will wait to consider D&C's petition until after Worlds?

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Yeah I would wait until seeing how 4CC has played out before giving an answer to D/C.

If you have two teams performing very well both at Nats and 4CC then I don't see the reason to giving D/C a special exception.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast