Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Entries

I am against it because I think he is wrong and probably will not be ready even if he thinks he is. I know it is his body and he and his doctors will ultimately have to make the call they think is correct, but I think that by trying to get ready to compete at worlds and competing there he is foolishly and needlessly risking further aggravation of the injury, which is somewhat serious. Better for them to get ready for next year and the Olympics even if that meant the US only has one spot. I've seen enough of injuries for this year.

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I am against it because I think he is wrong and probably will not be ready even if he thinks he is. I know it is his body and he and his doctors will ultimately have to make the call they think is correct, but I think that by trying to get ready to compete at worlds and competing there he is foolishly and needlessly risking further aggravation of the injury, which is somewhat serious. Better for them to get ready for next year and the Olympics even if that meant the US only has one spot. I've seen enough of injuries for this year.
    I didn't know you knew John personally. Can you say "hi" for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I didn't know you knew John personally. Can you say "hi" for me?
    Maybe I'm overly sensitive today, but I don't think this was necessary. I admitted "I know it's his body and he and his doctors will ultimately have to make the call they think is correct". I don't know him personally. However, I have worked in hospital settings in the past and I know what a labral hip tear is. In addition, I've taken time to read about them, both in my studies when I was younger and more recently. You can read about them too at mayo clinic, probably the most reputable American online source for medical information. At mayo clinic they say they can be relatively minor BUT they say that after surgry on one most people can return to sports in 4-6 months. I know most people aren't professional athletes, but he had surgery in early December. 4 months out from that is early April. Worlds are in early to mid March.

Either way, my point was I think (and it is just my opinion, which is why I use and used the word think) it is better to fully recover than to risk aggravating an injury. If John is fully recovered despite all odds, then I say give him a bye. But I think it's more likely that he is not, and that it would be a pity to risk it. Again, it is just my opinion. You can disagree and that's fine, but there's no need to be snarky about it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    It's pretty impossible for the U.S. teams to lose a spot in Pairs given the limited number of entries. To keep up two spots, the teams' placements need to be 28 or lower. Consider there is only 15 teams will be there ( per Tony Wheeler's currrent list), both teams would have to finish in the bottom two. In the SB's list, C/S is No. 9 and S/K is 14. When take out D/C, C/S is now in No. 8 and S/K is 13th. So 13+8 =24.
    13+8=21

Just a minor correction in math.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonlightSkater View Post
    13+8=21

Just a minor correction in math.
    Hi MoonlightSkater, nice to see you posting, even if it's to correct my inept adding skills. But in any case, you further reinforced my point that I think two spots is almost a certainty even without D/C.

Custom Title
    D/C have no reason to try to compete again this season. It's not like they had a chance at a medal at Worlds and why take a chance and get injured again. I guess John didn't see what happened to Alissa.

Custom Title
    Yeah, especially now that I'm hearing about the recovery period needed for this injury I think it's not smart for them to push for worlds. The experience would only be valuable if they could go clean. Otherwise it's a waste of time and actually sounds like they could risk further injury. I say they focus on smart recovery and come out next fall like gang busters.

Banned
    I could not see Denney & Coughlin being flat out given a bye to Worlds. The USFSA only has done that were World medalists or big stars in the past. I could however see them getting named to the 4CCs team along with the top 2 from Nationals, and the USFSA then saying they will send the top 2 their to Worlds, or the top finisher amongst the 2nd placers at Nationals and D&C as the U.S Champions are guaranteed Worlds according to the rules I believe. If they arent ready for 4CCs though no chance.

Banned
    BTW the U.S would never lose 2 spots even if D&C dont go to Worlds. The U.S pairs arent that bad, there is no way they wont reach a total of 28, especialy as others have said there will probably be only 15 or barely more than 15 teams at Worlds. Meanwhile they would never gain 3 spots even with Denney & Coughlin this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachuusb View Post
    really looking forward to Yankowskas & Reagan

this event is really Marissa & Simon's to lose
    I agree but who will be no. 2 is the huge question. I wonder of Baga and Toth will do extreme individual triple jumps

Scimeca and Knierman are a good bet. Best 3Tw in the US.

Custom Title
    ^that's quite the statement. we've got some good triple twisters in this country right now!

Custom Title
    ok wow. I had never seen them before but I just watched their sp at NHK. Don't know how they flew under my radar. I can't disagree with your assessment of their twist.

Glad I could point you in their direction for a wow. I think theirs is best in terms of execution in the US right now (especially for a NEW team!!)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post

On a side-note does anyone else feel like Skating Club of Boston is having something of a revival? Between the young pairs teams, Ross Miner and now Christina Gao joining that camp the energy must be starting to buzz over there. As a former Bostonian and knowing Nationals will be there next year how great would it be to see all these skaters really come into their own and peak over the next year and a half!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast