Downton Abbey - Season 3 Begins Tonight 1-6-13 | Golden Skate

Downton Abbey - Season 3 Begins Tonight 1-6-13

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's on..................love the show!!!!

PBS - 8:00 CST.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I saw in my TV guide that it will be reshown again next Sunday before the 2nd episode so I opted to watch the 2 hour opening of "The Biggest Loser" as it will be shown on Mondays from now on.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I love this series.....but I think Mary isnt quite so Lovable as I did.....there was a wonderful one hour documentary before DA about Highclere Castle where the filming is done......perhaps it can be seen online.
"Secrets of Highclere Castle" Ironically, the series may have saved the castle as 60,000 vistitors a year now pay to see it which helps with the 1 million dollar upkeep.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was asked by a friend about Downton Abby season III.
Here are some good links for anyone that is not familiar with it, including a one hour special on the castle,
"Secrets of Highclere"

Here you can watch the full first episode....
http://video.pbs.org/video/2322846575

Here is a five minute rehash of season 1 and 2
http://mashable.com/2013/01/06/downton-abbey-in-5-minutes/

Here is what wiki has to say....If you go to this link, there is lots of info....I would watch the rehash, read wiki, then watch the episode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downton_Abbey

Watch this one hour show on Highclere castle...
http://video.pbs.org/video/2320059755/

Downton Abbey is a British period drama television series created by Julian Fellowes and co-produced by Carnival Films and Masterpiece.[1] It first aired on ITV in the United Kingdom on 26 September 2010 and on PBS in the United States on 9 January 2011 as part of the Masterpiece Classic anthology.

The series, set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey, depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the Edwardian and post-Edwardian era — with the great events in history having an effect on their lives and on the British social hierarchy. Such events depicted throughout the series include news of the sinking of the RMS Titanic in the first series; the outbreak of World War I, the Spanish influenza pandemic, and the Marconi scandal in the second series; and the Interwar period and the formation of the Irish Free State in the third series.

Downton Abbey has received critical acclaim from television critics and won numerous accolades, including a Golden Globe Award for Best Miniseries or Television Film and a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries. It was recognised by Guinness World Records as the most critically acclaimed English-language television series of 2011, and became the international television series to receive the largest number of nominations in the history of the Primetime Emmy Awards, with twenty-seven in total.[2] It was the most watched television series on both ITV and PBS, and subsequently became the most successful British costume drama series since the 1981 television serial of Brideshead Revisited.[3] By the third season, it had become one of the most widely watched television shows in the world.[4]

I haven't been following it closely, but every episode I've watched, I've liked very much. I'm thrilled to see a show of this quality attain such popularity.

And oh, the costumes!

Besides, it has Maggie Smith. The ne plus ultra of actresses. (Loosely translated from the Latin, "best of the best.")

Historical note: I just learned recently what RMS means in a ship's name. Usually I think a British ship had the preface HMS, meaning either "Her Majesty's Ship" or "His Majesty's Ship." (Think of the HMS Pinafore.) But RMS means "Royal Mail Ship"--a ship commissioned to carry the mail. So Titanic was carrying all manner of letters and packages in its hold, and it had postal workers down there looking after it. I don't think any of them survived. Here's a link. There was a memorial plaque to the postal workers.
http://www.stampsofdistinction.com/2008/05/incredible-postal-workers-aboard-rms.html

heyang

Record Breaker
Enjoyed the 2 hour season 3 premiere! Alas, I read spoilers.....

Enjoyed Shirley McClaine as Cora's mother.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am confused about Bates now....shows another side of him. What about the 2nd weddding???

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I love Downton Abbey. It's a really great show. The third season was awesome (it has already been broadcast in Portugal). All I can say is that it worths a watch right until the very last episode (which by the way is so intense!)

heyang

Record Breaker
I knew what was going to happen and I still cried! From what I've read, it was a very realistic portrayal of eclampsia and the medical knowledge of that time.

i'm sure this will cause some tension between Cora and Lord Grantham since he and his doctor refused to listen to her and their family doctor.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought too how awful to just watch your child die in front of you and do nothing....the guilt she must feel even though she shouldn't.

Heyang, I sobbed as well.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have to say that the series has become so much of a downer I am thinking of recording it and playing it at 2x. It has become like watching Les Mis....tourture.......I dont expect it to be
as up as a Jane Austen movie but it has become soapy and depressing.....

Here is what I hope for tonight.

Dead daughter springs out of coffin at funeral service...she was only in a comma.
Publisher confesses to murdering Bate's wife to silence her. Bates goes free.
Worthless Canadian railroad stock goes through the roof when diamonds are discovered at the end
of the right of way. Everyone is rich. Cora's maid and Thomas kill eachother in a duel.
What do you think my odds are?

Sounds ideal to me, Chris! Love the idea of the diamonds.

When you see a tear-filled series like this, it makes you wonder why so many people say that those were the good old days. The clothes are splendid, though.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I have to say that the series has become so much of a downer I am thinking of recording it and playing it at 2x. It has become like watching Les Mis....tourture.......I dont expect it to be
as up as a Jane Austen movie but it has become soapy and depressing.....

Here is what I hope for tonight.

Dead daughter springs out of coffin at funeral service...she was only in a comma.
Publisher confesses to murdering Bate's wife to silence her. Bates goes free.
Worthless Canadian railroad stock goes through the roof when diamonds are discovered at the end
of the right of way. Everyone is rich. Cora's maid and Thomas kill eachother in a duel.
What do you think my odds are?

Hee hee. In a comma?
O'Brien is up to some nasty stuff, isn't she?
And Maggie Smith, brilliant as always, acts the pants off everybody else. Can't wait to see her in that new movie, "Quartet", with Tom Courtenay and Billy Connoly!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Well, it looks like Bates is coming home so that's good news. That's been the downer that I can barely handle. I hate prison scenes, movies, etc. Trouble brewing over the estate between Lord Grantham (who's privileged world is beginning to crumble) & Mathew Crowley. Wasn't Mathew a doctor in the 1st season or am I fantasizing?

meem

On the Ice
Well at least last night's episode wasn't the horrible downer of a week ago & things are looking up at long last at DA. Must admit I'm sick of Thomas thinking he's hearing hints from "Jimmy" and constantly putting his hands on the guy (why doesn't Jimmy/James knock his hand off?). Thank God Bates is coming home...no more prison scenes. I'm hoping Tom moves to Liverpool very soon. His always playing the martyr has long been annoying to me but now that he's a widower he's really going OTT. So glad that Ethel's meal was a success. Isobel has finally rescued a wretch and turned her around!

heyang

Record Breaker
Overall, it is a realistic portrayal of the attitudes and the changes in society at that time. Lords clinging to the old ways while the younger people look for the new ways.

Based upon Tom's conversation with Matthew, I think Matthew will find him a role on the estate.

Jimmy doesn't discourage Thomas because O'Brien implied that he has influence that could help him get ahead in the house.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Lawyer....I have false memories too.....
Well, it looks like Bates is coming home so that's good news. That's been the downer that I can barely handle. I hate prison scenes, movies, etc. Trouble brewing over the estate between Lord Grantham (who's privileged world is beginning to crumble) & Mathew Crowley. Wasn't Mathew a doctor in the 1st season or am I fantasizing?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Jimmy doesn't discourage Thomas because O'Brien implied that he has influence that could help him get ahead in the house.

But what is she up to? Anyone see the PBS special, "Secrets of Highclere" (the castle pictured in DA) They show old country homes like this one being blow up after WWII when the taxes went through the roof in the 1950s.
The owners couldnt afford the homes but the land would produce so they kept or sold that. The National trust couldnt take all the old homes.....but certain owners found ways of making income from tours and doing weddings
and shooting parties and affairs....

Scrufflet

Final Flight
What is she up to? She can sense Jimmy's anxiety over Thomas' attention and wants to engineer an explosion where Jimmy will realize T's real intent and blow up, causing T to be humiliated and fired. She's out for revenge!
J. does want to get ahead and thinks he needs T.s help but I also think he hasn't come across gay men before and is naive. He's probably always had the attention of the females.