Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Downton Abbey - Season 3 Begins Tonight 1-6-13

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    183
    Well at least last night's episode wasn't the horrible downer of a week ago & things are looking up at long last at DA. Must admit I'm sick of Thomas thinking he's hearing hints from "Jimmy" and constantly putting his hands on the guy (why doesn't Jimmy/James knock his hand off?). Thank God Bates is coming home...no more prison scenes. I'm hoping Tom moves to Liverpool very soon. His always playing the martyr has long been annoying to me but now that he's a widower he's really going OTT. So glad that Ethel's meal was a success. Isobel has finally rescued a wretch and turned her around!

  2. #17
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,153
    Overall, it is a realistic portrayal of the attitudes and the changes in society at that time. Lords clinging to the old ways while the younger people look for the new ways.

    Based upon Tom's conversation with Matthew, I think Matthew will find him a role on the estate.

    Jimmy doesn't discourage Thomas because O'Brien implied that he has influence that could help him get ahead in the house.

  3. #18
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    Lawyer....I have false memories too.....
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Well, it looks like Bates is coming home so that's good news. That's been the downer that I can barely handle. I hate prison scenes, movies, etc. Trouble brewing over the estate between Lord Grantham (who's privileged world is beginning to crumble) & Mathew Crowley. Wasn't Mathew a doctor in the 1st season or am I fantasizing?

  4. #19
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Jimmy doesn't discourage Thomas because O'Brien implied that he has influence that could help him get ahead in the house.
    But what is she up to? Anyone see the PBS special, "Secrets of Highclere" (the castle pictured in DA) They show old country homes like this one being blow up after WWII when the taxes went through the roof in the 1950s.
    The owners couldnt afford the homes but the land would produce so they kept or sold that. The National trust couldnt take all the old homes.....but certain owners found ways of making income from tours and doing weddings
    and shooting parties and affairs....

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    312
    What is she up to? She can sense Jimmy's anxiety over Thomas' attention and wants to engineer an explosion where Jimmy will realize T's real intent and blow up, causing T to be humiliated and fired. She's out for revenge!
    J. does want to get ahead and thinks he needs T.s help but I also think he hasn't come across gay men before and is naive. He's probably always had the attention of the females.

  6. #21
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,153
    I enjoyed last night's episode because Grantham is finally becoming a bit more likeable. I was especially pleased that Tom was part of that turnaround.

    Can't believe next week is the season finale.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    183
    What I don't understand is how Carson could agree to letting Thomas return to employment as the under-butler (thus becoming Bates boss). Season 3, though, has turned out so much better than last year.

  8. #23
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,616
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Can't believe next week is the season finale.
    WHAT?? Heyang, say it isn't so, it just started!!!

  9. #24
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    I think they had to pump us up and make us feel good to take the cliff hanger next week! Who shot JR will be nothing compared to this....I dont think we have heard the last about Lady G's "unfortunate" spill in the bathtub.....!
    (I bet somebody's gonna get preggerssssssss.....and I don't mean Mary.....)

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,070
    This week's 2 hours were the best of the season, I felt. Felt more like Season 1, or at least Season 2. Sigh. Not looking forward to the ending of the next episode AT ALL. When I think what might have been ...

    Is anyone unspoiled as to the end of the season? If you are DO NOT READ on!





    I so, so wish Fellowes won't just immediately throw love interests at Mary. If Matthew couldn't live to bring Downton into a new age, I'd rather see Mary become a woman of means and substance rather than jumping into another relationship. But I don't think Fellowes knows what to do with characters, esp women, other than have them involved in romances or would-be romances.

  11. #26
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    Personally, I think the writers made a big mistake....Downton Abby was the story of Mattew and Mary. People dont love Jane Austen movies cause all the charactors die off in the end....Removing the rock of the series has taken the need to watch it any further from me. What's next? Killing Carston off? I though the season finale was wonderful till the last five minutes....they could have left things happy and left us all wanting more for season 4. Every one ups their pledges to PBS. Now, its just another Les Mis....Life's a ***** and then you die. No thank you, Downton. If I dont want happy endings, I will watch the evening news....bah humbug. If the actor didnt want to play Mathew anymore,then there are better ways around that....but I suspect that was not the case. If he is holding out for more money, I suppose they could make this last bit a dream sequence at the start of season 4, but I won't be watching.

  12. #27
    Custom Title merrywidow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,383
    It's become very soap operaish, which I've never cared for. I'd like to see Anna & Bates become parents & hope that Edith & her editor create a scandal.

  13. #28
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Personally, I think the writers made a big mistake....Downton Abby was the story of Mattew and Mary. People dont love Jane Austen movies cause all the charactors die off in the end....Removing the rock of the series has taken the need to watch it any further from me. What's next? Killing Carston off? I though the season finale was wonderful till the last five minutes....they could have left things happy and left us all wanting more for season 4. Every one ups their pledges to PBS. Now, its just another Les Mis....Life's a ***** and then you die. No thank you, Downton. If I dont want happy endings, I will watch the evening news....bah humbug. If the actor didnt want to play Mathew anymore,then there are better ways around that....but I suspect that was not the case. If he is holding out for more money, I suppose they could make this last bit a dream sequence at the start of season 4, but I won't be watching.
    Dan Stevens didn't want to continue in the role. As per an interview with exec producer, they couldn't figure out a way for Matthew to disappear that would make sense. He wouldn't leave Mary and baby and she probably would've followed him anywhere. That would be 'disrespecting' their love story too - for him to just disappear and/or go away for an extended period of time. Also, as the heir to Downton, it wouldn't have made sense for him to leave the estate for an extended period of time, especially since he didn't have other properties to manage. If they had been at WWII stage, then perhaps they could've had him captured by the Germans and recast him when he was released at the end of the war.

    By writing him off, this leaves more story open for Lady Mary as the mother of the heir, widow, etc. If Matthew had lived and been off screen, there wouldn't be as much for Mary to do.

    If there's one thing that's common amongst soaps, it's:
    If you are ecstatically happy, something bad is about to happen.
    If you don't have a love interest, you're pretty much a supporting character that just listens to the other characters.

    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/17/do...matthew-death/

    Mini-spoiler: season 4 starts 6 months after the finale.

    I read somewhere that the 3 seasons of DA have encompassed 10 years already? I know the finale jumped to 1 year after the prior episode. Then there were 4 years between season 1 and season 2.

  14. #29
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    I am sad but absolutely support Dan Steven's decision. He has one movie in the can, one in produciton, and another in pre-production. As a handsome romantic male actor, he is in his prime and has to make his name NOW if he can, not in two or three years.
    Remember, shooting a season of DA is probably like shooting three plus movies plus, and while I dont know what they offered him dollar wise, that also may have been a factor. Good luck to him and all they have to do is replace him with Brad Pitt and no one will care...oh, wait a minute, I think Brad might be too expensive....LOL...
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Dan Stevens didn't want to continue in the role. As per an interview with exec producer, they couldn't figure out a way for Matthew to disappear that would make sense. He wouldn't leave Mary and baby and she probably would've followed him anywhere. That would be 'disrespecting' their love story too - for him to just disappear and/or go away for an extended period of time. Also, as the heir to Downton, it wouldn't have made sense for him to leave the estate for an extended period of time, especially since he didn't have other properties to manage. If they had been at WWII stage, then perhaps they could've had him captured by the Germans and recast him when he was released at the end of the war.

    By writing him off, this leaves more story open for Lady Mary as the mother of the heir, widow, etc. If Matthew had lived and been off screen, there wouldn't be as much for Mary to do.

    If there's one thing that's common amongst soaps, it's:
    If you are ecstatically happy, something bad is about to happen.
    If you don't have a love interest, you're pretty much a supporting character that just listens to the other characters.

    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/17/do...matthew-death/

    Mini-spoiler: season 4 starts 6 months after the finale.

    I read somewhere that the 3 seasons of DA have encompassed 10 years already? I know the finale jumped to 1 year after the prior episode. Then there were 4 years between season 1 and season 2.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    490
    I think the fact that the show has spanned somewhere around ten years ( it began in 1912) makes it all more plausible. We have seen all this death and heartache in three seasons and it seems like too much. But in a ten year span, in an era with less advanced medicine, shorter life expectancies, and a world war in the mix, it is not so strange.

    I also read that Julian Fellowes (writer and creator) felt like he was in a corner with Matthew. He couldn't write him out by having him leave and keep it plausible at all without writing Mary out. He said he would rather lose a "downstairs" actor than one playing a family member as servants can move on in one way or another but the family would not just disappear. And both Dan Stevens and Jessica Brown Findlay (Sybil) chose to leave the show.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •