Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Best of Dick Button's Commentary

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Not mention of Plushenko, he has "zing" and "pizzazz"

Rinkside
    I'll never forget when he explained that some skaters are "fridge break" skaters! I believe he was referring to Angela Nikidinov as she was skating her LP at U.S. Nationals (2000 I believe, but it could have been before that). My mouth hit the floor! Certainly, Angela hadn't developed into the lovely skater she would become by 2001 at that time, so there was some truth to it. I just couldn't believe he said it! Some will love or hate him, but I enjoyed his obvious passion for the sport and his knowledge base. He was like that eccentric/unpredictable grandfather so many of us have/have had.

Banned
    Let's all remember a few things about good Old Dick Button, and then it will be clear that it is nearly impossible to be critical of him...

Firstly, he was the first person to do a double axel in competition, in 1948, in the Olympics, outside on crappy ice and in the rain, I believe. When he says a double axel is nice, or good, or bad, or whatever, I believe him.

Secondly, he is the first man to do a camel spin in competition. When he says a camel position is good, or bad, or whatever, I believe him.

Another thing, he and his spin coach, Gustav Lussi, invented the camel-hop over change-camel and the flying camel spins. When he says that a flying camel is nice, or bad, or whatever, I believe him.

Another thing, he was the first to do any type of triple, the loop. When he says that a triple loop is nice, or bad or whatever, I believe him.

In short, he is an expert via inventing or being the first to perform many of today's "modern" moves including jumps and spins, an expert from changing the sport and an expert from a life time of experience as a witness to skating history.

Dick Button is, indeed, a skating GOD. I leave you with these Dick comments, maybe a little paraphrased.....

"That's a very attractive layback position....with the exception of the free foot hanging down..."
    "This layback ... simply not up to the level of the rest of her skating with a very unattractive free leg position....."
    "See how high she is on that toe!!!! That's why that's not a good spin! See, that spin is rocking all over the place!"
    "But not her skating ability! This is a posing session..... Carmen seems to fall when the poses occur....."
    "The layback ... is in GOOD position ... we have seen so many sloppy ones ....."

I just didn't like how in later years he became such a bully to his co-commentators. Not so much Terry, but he belittled Peggy. It was uncomfortable - and frustrating to listen to - the only one of the newer commentators who wouldn't just cowtow to it was Kurt who was still respectful but politely disagreed.

When did he say, "Peggy, will you marry me?"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I just didn't like how in later years he became such a bully to his co-commentators. Not so much Terry, but he belittled Peggy. It was uncomfortable - and frustrating to listen to - the only one of the newer commentators who wouldn't just cowtow to it was Kurt who was still respectful but politely disagreed.
    Not all the time! Once in response to Peggy being nice to a skater with an unfortunate layback position, Dick proposed marriage ....

And one time, at the 1980 US Nationals he said the following when Elaine Zayak was skating .... "Compare this layback spin to the one you performed Peggy .... there is no comparison ...."

Another time about Peggy in a documentary he said, "Peggy Fleming was unique in that while she was a master at figures, she also was able to combine athleticism and artistry that was unparalleled ..."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    When did he say, "Peggy, will you marry me?"
    Funny, I thought of that one at once, too. I can't remember the skater, but it was someone who had an unfortunate skate, and Peggy came up with a diplomatic piece of supportive praise. It was a lovely moment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I remember that voting competition. Michelle was injured and I think didn't do a single jump. That was one time even I thought that someone else should have won.
    If it was the one in 2005, Michelle did do jumps. That was the one where she did her Totentanz program for the first and only time and I know she did a double axel, at least. I don't remember what she did on the other program (You Raise Me Up, I think??). She may done doubles.

Custom Title
    I think it's been taken down on YouTube, but his commentary on Michelle's Bond program was classic. I can't remember the movie he mentioned, but he compared her to a cat burglar on the roofs of Paris.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    If it was the one in 2005, Michelle did do jumps. That was the one where she did her Totentanz program for the first and only time and I know she did a double axel, at least. I don't remember what she did on the other program (You Raise Me Up, I think??). She may done doubles.
    I stand corrected. Which year didn't she jump at all? Was it 2006? There was one year when that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Not all the time! Once in response to Peggy being nice to a skater with an unfortunate layback position, Dick proposed marriage ....

And one time, at the 1980 US Nationals he said the following when Elaine Zayak was skating .... "Compare this layback spin to the one you performed Peggy .... there is no comparison ...."

Another time about Peggy in a documentary he said, "Peggy Fleming was unique in that while she was a master at figures, she also was able to combine athleticism and artistry that was unparalleled ..."
    That's why I said in later years and during his commentary - not counting interviews/documentaries when it's not as much of a heat of the moment thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I stand corrected. Which year didn't she jump at all? Was it 2006? There was one year when that happened.
    The cheesefest you are thinking of occurred after the 2006 Olympics and was not judged or a vote-in.

Custom Title
    Thanks. Clearly I got the two competitions mixed up in my mind. Not the first time that has happened!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3