What was written on Kwan's boot heel? | Golden Skate

What was written on Kwan's boot heel?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Does anyone know. Both in the SP and LP, Michelle was skating in boots that looked like there was a big black scuff on the heel. To my surprise, the picture in the Atlanta Journal constituion makes it clear that the black scuff is actually writing, but the picture is not magnified enough to make it possible to read the writing.

Has anyone heard what it is?

dpp

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It's Karl Malone's signature. They did a fluff piece together and Karl seemed to be giving MK some advice during it.

Michibanana

Rinkside
Terry Gannon mentioned that Karl and Michelle spent the entire day together filming that fluff piece, and that the advice he gave her had a significant impact on her, especially on her thinking regarding the Olympics. I think that's probably why he signed her boots. I was so happy to see someone else tell Michelle that it's okay for her to want to continue competing. Especially one of her sports heroes (Lakers are obviously her favorite team). You could really see the lightbulb going on when she was talking to him. Probably one of my favorite fluff pieces ever...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you guys! I was there live, so didn't see the fluff pieces.

And wouldn't you know, the one time they had an interesting one, I would miss it!

Thanks again.

I wonder whether she will keep the signature on there for Worlds? Did she say?

dizzydi

On the Ice
Doris,

You didn't miss a thing. The fluff piece with MK and Malone was very "fluffy" to say the least. It had nothing to do with figureskating other than MK was talking to some supposedly important basketball person. Michelle said absolutely nothing of significance but we now know that she is no basketball player.

What gets me about this is that if this piece was about someone other than Michelle, people would be blasting this fluff piece to bits.

The annoying part of the piece, is that the time could have been used to show us more skating. Frankly, I don't care a bit about basketball, UCLA or whether MK can make a basket.

Dizzy

choreo123

Spectator
Fluff

I thought it was a cool piece.

The point seemed to be about career longevity, and the competetive nature of champions.

This is very relavent when you think about Michelle's domination of the Sport, yet the Olympic gold has eluded her.

It also shows that are heros often have heros.

I felt it was inspirational.

:\

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I liked that it was a fluff that at least focused on skating/skater as sport with another sport icon and loved the longevity part. Could have been much fluffier like another I just want to have fun, let's bake, or dance partner match game.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
dizzydi said:
What gets me about this is that if this piece was about someone other than Michelle, people would be blasting this fluff piece to bits.
And you wouldn't have had a single problem with it.

eliza88

On the Ice
As fluff pieces go, I really enjoyed this one. In fact I would go on and say it was a "segment" rather than a fluff piece! Most fluff pieces have a narrarator speaking while the skater looks pensive, music going on in the background blah blah blah...this was a fun piece where 2 sports icons were talking about sports and longevity AND having fun together. It was nice to see their personalities come out. I am a MK fan so I would have liked this regardless and then add The Mailman who I think is one incredibly sexy and handsome guy...did I say I really liked this segment??

eliza88

dizzydi

On the Ice
Fluff piece

Jimmy,

Yes, I would have a problem with the fluff piece, no matter who the skater.

What you don't know is that Michelle Kwan is one of my favorite skaters of all time. The woman is awesome.

It's the fluff piece in question plus the fact that skaters, other than Michelle, are criticized for every minute detail.

What's fair is fair, no matter who the skater.

Dizzy

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Re: Fluff piece

dizzydi said:
What you don't know is that Michelle Kwan is one of my favorite skaters of all time. The woman is awesome.
Guess why I don't know it? It's because you have a supremely snotty attitude toward MK fans that is worthy of Adrian Chew and what's-her-face combined and the fact that you get upset every time someone says something nicer about her other than "she's okay". I suppose your very dearest friends are black as well.

It's the fluff piece in question plus the fact that skaters, other than Michelle, are criticized for every minute detail.
That's a lie. Period. Unless you just can't be bothered to read much of this forum.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
For skating fans that watch all of the televised skating and are informed about the skaters it was probably something that they could take or leave (love to see anything about their favs vs.seen and heard it all before in one form or the other). And I guess that for those who are mainly interested in seeing as much actual skating as possible these uses of valuable broadcast time can be frustrating. OTOH for the casual skating fan or even just folks who found nothing better on TV at the time it was a nice little story. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the viewing audience are fans that follow all of the events, read/post on the FS boards and what percentage are very casual followers or just watch the competitions like they would the Oscars or a miniseries. It seems that maybe these pieces are geared toward the later group. OTOH if the networks think this is what fans want to see then maybe those who are that unhappy should take the time to let the networks know their opinions.

gezando

Final Flight
dizzydi said:
MK was talking to some supposedly important basketball person.

Malone is an important basketball player. He is well known for his work ethics, good training habits, and one of the best power forward in the business, good role model on and off the court. He was league MVP a few times. His nick name is the mail man because he delivers. Unfortunately, his team the Jazz was not able to win the NBA title. They came close a couple of times. He transferred to LA lakers because he wants to have a good shot at the NBA title again.

Michelle said absolutely nothing of significance but we now know that she is no basketball player.

Michelle did not need to say anything particularly significant. Just a day with Malone has significance to her. She was inspired. I guess fans who appreciate Michelle and Malone's work ethics and drive to be the best will understand, for fans who do not appreciate it is worse than fluff. We all know Michelle is no basket ball player, she is the reigining national and world champion.

You said if is that a speculation. Do you have any basis for this claim? Give me some examples you have seen here at Golden skate of other non Michelle fluff pieces that were blasted into bits? When and who was the skater that was being focus? Who blasted those fluff pieces? :) thanks. BTW, you blast this mailman Michelle fluff is the first time I see any fluff being blasted in bits here.

The annoying part of the piece, is that the time could have been used to show us more skating. Frankly, I don't care a bit about basketball, UCLA or whether MK can make a basket.

I can understand as a skating fan you want to see more skating. I love sports including basketball, and I love seeing Michelle being inspired by the mail man. I think some fluff are better than others, I appreicate this fluff piece, because I like Malone. He is older than most NBA players, yet he is pushing himself hard, training hard, and able to compete with the best of the best and players who are 15 years younger.

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
As far as fluff goes, this was one of the better ones. Just to make people feel better, it's not because it was about Michelle. If any skater had that conversation with Malone, I would have loved it. It was about two athletes discussing the work ethic, sacrifice and love of their sports while encouraging each other forward. :love: An example of a bad Michelle piece is the one repeatedly overshown of her standing on the beach while dragging her toe in the sand. The concept of athlete goes to school was interesting but it needed to die after the first showing.

I loved the fluff on Jenny and her sister. I think it was brave to publicly state that Jenny's skating and her sister's boarding school kept them apart when they were growing up. Most family pieces are all about showing what's perfect (perfect skater, perfect family, etc). I agree that some family's are close, but I also believe that there are many resentful siblings.

Jenny's fluff piece talked about something gone wrong becoming right. It was a great piece and I am thrilled for both of them. I love the bond I have with my sisters and I think its great when family's can learn to be there for each other instead of neutral or politically correct.

I wish all of the fluff pieces could have more substance like Michelle/The Mailman and Jenny/Emily.