Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Movies Seen the Second (or more) Time Around

Apollo 13
    The Princess Diaries (yay for Julie Andrews & Anne Hathaway)!
    Many (other) Disney movies besides the ones I've already mentioned - The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Pinnochio, Bambi, Dumbo, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Mulan, The Lion King, Mary Poppins
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Shrek movies
    The Wizard of Oz
    Gone with the Wind
    Singin' in the Rain
    The Taming of the Shrew - (Liz Taylor & Richard Burton)
    Exodus
    Back to the Future #1 & #3

Custom Title
    Senna
    Apollo 13
    Thirteen Days
    The Dish (GREATEST AUSTRALIAN MOVIE OF ALL TIME)
    Disney classics - Mulan, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladdin (alas, The Little Mermaid is missing from our collection!)

And I have all of Mark Webber's race wins on DVD...I like watching those a lot.

Custom Title
    All good choices, Iluvtodd. I do love Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly. You remind me that his Doc Hollywood is a delightful "vacation" when one is under stress or feeling blue.

I also forgot to list the hysterical Soapdish, a splendid send-up of soaps with a dream cast, including Sally Field, Kevin Kline (an unsung treasure of American film), Whoopi Goldberg, Robert Downey, Jr., Cathy Moriarty, Teri Hatcher, Elizabeth Shue, Carrie Fisher, Kathy Najimy, even Gary Marshall.

And how could I have forgotten the classic of classics, Casablanca?

While we're on Ingrid Bergman, perhaps my favorite film of hers is Anastasia. The moment when I realized that Yul Brynner really was a heartthrob.

And the Hepburn/Tracy movie that is my go-to film above all the others they did: Desk Set.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I do love that version, with Anthony Andrews and Olivia Hussey as well as Sam Neill. Hussey is a splendid Rebecca. And you're right that it makes Bois-Guilbert more sympathetic. The weak link in that movie is Lysette Anthony as Rowena--she's a bit too much the typical ingenue for me. But in the book she is less crucial as well. I have this on DVD, and I you've inspired me to watch it again.

I just found out that this is Dickens' bicentennial, and I didn't realize that it was also the bicentennial of Pride and Prejudice. What a great year for bookworms, and also for bookworms who are movie buffs!

Iluvtodd, I also love both Fantasia movies. The first one was amazingly ambitious for its time, and I was thrilled when they came out with a sequel (so to speak) all those years later. My favorite part of the second one is the orca whales swimming (and flying) to Respighi's The Pines of Rome.
    Oh, I was unclear, I fear... 2012 was Dickens' bicentennial - I wouldn't have known it either, had it not been for book blogs! and he's my favourite author. Last year I rewatched Pickwick, Oliver Twist and unchronologically snuck in Our Mutual Friend

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144727/

which I just love and adore, and I don't need much of an excuse to rewatch it. But this version of Nicholas Nickleby, though old, was new to me:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077055/

though I'm now rewatching it with my mother, and really enjoying it. I often end up rewatching stuff that way - I first watch something with my husband, and then - the good stuff - I rewatch wth my mother. Recently I rewatched the Hailee Steinfelt True Grit that way, and it was great! (I'm really curious about her Romeo and Juliet now... )

I feel as if on the first watch there is the delight of discovery - even if the plot is known to you, the specific scenes &c are not - but on rewatches, you can really settle in and just enjoy and savour it.

Oh, by the way, for any P & P and/or Jane Austen fans out there, the blog Austenprose will be celebrating the bicentennial through the year - that's where I found out about it too - even though it's one of my favourite books, and I've read it 4-5 times, but I'm such a scatterbrain and numbers just don't seem to stick in (what I am pleased to call) my brain!

Oh, Olympia, I hope you don't mind that I've "cheated" and mentioned some series, rather than strictly movies? Some movies I tend to rewatch though, LOTR, Pirates, like many others, I have my favourite Disney animations, and while I'm not really a musical fan, I adore Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (I'm more of an old Indian movies fan, when it comes to that sort of thing), The Princess Bride of course, the orginal Star Wars and... well, there are a lot. And I'd no doubt be rewatching more, except there's so much new (to me, that is) stuff to watch and discover...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Oh, Olympia, I hope you don't mind that I've "cheated" and mentioned some series, rather than strictly movies? Some movies I tend to rewatch though, LOTR, Pirates, like many others, I have my favourite Disney animations, and while I'm not really a musical fan, I adore Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (I'm more of an old Indian movies fan, when it comes to that sort of thing), The Princess Bride of course, the orginal Star Wars and... well, there are a lot. And I'd no doubt be rewatching more, except there's so much new (to me, that is) stuff to watch and discover...
    Nothing counts as cheating on this thread! If you enjoy a series or a TV movie, it belongs here just as much as any self-contained theatrical film. The goal is sharing yummy things to watch so the rest of us can find out about them. Go for it!

Like you, I shared a lot of my favorite movie-watching with my mom. There are still movies that I think of as "hers" when I see them. She used to take me to theaters when they ran revivals of films she'd grown up with, so that now every time I see Garbo's Anna Karenina, Grand Hotel, or Ninotchka, for example, I think of her. She gave me Leslie Howard, Ronald Colman, Garbo of course, and I gave her Chariots of Fire.

Oh, that's right. Chariots of Fire goes on my list. There are parts of it I could watch again and again. And I agree with you about the original Star Wars. Oh, and Star Trek IV, my favorite film in that series. "No, I'm from Iowa. I just work in outer space."

Custom Title
    My favourite sf is definitely Babylon 5 here's a fan-made tribute video that might give some idea of why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LbdDYVHXM

although it doesn't give all aspects of the show, of course.

(I just discovered that my favourite Jane Eyre video has been blocked in my country - drat it! My favourite Jane Eyre is of course the Timothy Dalton one; I tend to value fidelity to the book in my book adaptations. I wanted to share that too, but now I'm a bit... miffed, and am watching various B5 videos instead to soothe my feelings... )

Custom Title
    E.g. these movies I have watched multiple times:

Vertigo
    Rear Window
    To Catch a Thief
    Gone with the wind
    Third Man
    Waterloo Bridge
    West Side Story
    Dances with wolves
    Phantom of the Opera
    Casablanca
    A Few Good Men
    Desirée
    Gilda
    Some like it hot
    Cat On a Hot Tin Roof
    Rio Grande
    An Affair to Remember
    Roman Holiday
    Anatomy of a Murder
    Man who shot Liberty Valance
    A Place in the Sun
    Splendor in the Grass
    Last edited by Jaana; 01-15-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Schindler's List is another I could watch over & over.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Schindler's List is another I could watch over & over.
    It's a brilliant film, but I can't imagine watching it over and over!

So true/ The Reader is great movie but heartrending.

Some more:

Disney's Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 1, 2, 3
    West Side Story
    Schindler's List
    Life is Beautiful
    Gigi
    Brigadoon
    Hairspray (the recent movie version of it)
    Oliver
    Fiddler on the Roof
    The Producers (especially the original), loved the Broadway musical
    Fly Away Home
    The King's Speech
    Amadeus
    Shakespeare in Love
    Ben Hur
    The 10 Commandments
    Topsy Turvy
    The Pirates of Penzance
    Seabiscuit
    Rainman
    An American in Paris
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Blades of Glory
    Rise
    The Jazz Singer (with Neil Diamond) - The critics really skewered this one, but I loved it (along with a bunch of other friends), and the soundtrack is great! I still tear up during the "reconciliation" scene.
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 01-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Some old movie favourites:

The Shop Around the Corner
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033045/

Harvey
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042546/

The Strawberry Blonde
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034236/

The Barretts of Wimpole Street
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050169/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

The Thin Man movies:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025878/

Although this is a case where I actually like the sequels more than the original movie.

All very rewatchable movies, I feel.

Custom Title
    The remake of The Shop Around the Corner is also lots of fun. It's In the Good Old Summertime, and it stars Van Johnson and Judy Garland instead of Jimmy Stewart and I think Margaret Sullavan. While no one can top Jimmy Stewart, Judy Garland is a delight in every musical she was ever in. She is one of the best comediennes ever (no one gets offended better than she does), and of course she has one of the century's great voices. The supporting cast is also wonderful, the usual stable of MGM stalwarts, including S.Z. Sakall (also in Casablanca) taking over the Frank Morgan role of the shop owner.

I've never seen The Strawberry Blonde. It looks like heaps of fun. I've seen all of the other ones you mentioned, LRK, though I would disagree with you about liking the Thin Man sequels better than the first film, solely because the early thirties elegance of Myrna Loy and the debonair William Powell can never be second on any list to me. For one thing, the hairstyles are far superior (well, to me at least). Loy is one of my favorite actresses ever. Trivia point: The young girl in the first Thin Man movie was Maureen O'Sullivan, who was an MGM stalwart and generally played younger sisters. As proof of this, she was also Elizabeth Barrett's younger sister in The Barretts of Wimpole Street, another wonderful film on your list. (Wasn't Charles Laughton terrifying as the father?) Interspersed with those and other films, O'Sullivan also portrayed the best Jane ever, in the best-known Tarzan movies (the ones with Johnny Weissmuller).

Golly, I love old movies.

Let's add three more ensemble comedies to this great vintage list. Two of them both feature Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow as the female stars: Libeled Lady and Wife vs. Secretary. In the former, the male stars were William Powell and Spencer Tracy. In the latter, the male roles were played by Clark Gable and James Stewart. Complete delight for any vintage film buff.

The third vintage group star turn is a lesser-known Cary Grant movie, The Talk of the Town. In it, he and Ronald Colman (try choosing between those two heartthrobs) vie for the attention of Jean Arthur. Better than chocolate!

Custom Title
    I've seen In the Good Old Summertime, but I've only seen it once - so far!

I think you'd enjoy The Strawberry Blonde - it's lots of fun! James Cagney keeps declaring that "I'll take nothing from nobody!", gets into fights, and constantly beaten - and you actually believe it! Now, that's acting. He also learns dentistry - via correspondence course! This, to me, does not sound like the best idea ever. Oh, I love this movie! (sighs happily)

The Barretts on my list is the somewhat "newer" one - from the 50s; I haven't watched the '30s one. But in "my" version the father is played by John Gielgud, and he is truly.... creepy. (Hasty clarification: in this movie, I mean!)

I'd love to watch The Talk of the Town - I don't doubt it's great! And apropos Cary Grant, how could I forget Arsenic and Old Lace - black humour at its best!

And your mention of Ronald Colman reminds me of this excellent adaptation of A Tale of Two Cities:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027075/

"It's a far, far better thing... " Grab your hankie! I actually intend to have this be the version I watch for my Dickens rewatch - I generallly don't go for movies, as they just aren't satisfactory - not long enough; but this is an exception. (ETA I loved this being quoted at the end of TDKR, especially as Gordon pauses, so that I can fill in before he does so: "than I have ever known." It's just... great.)

Whiich reminded me of another great book adaptation - The Scarlet Pimpernel:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025748/

How could I have forgotten?! Leslie Howard - enough said!
    Last edited by LRK; 01-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Ooh, yes, Leslie Howard as the Pimpernel was splendid. It's one of my favorite movies as well. An immortal if ever there was one. The remake (a very nice TV production with Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and a young Ian McKellen as Chauvelin) was of very high quality, but Leslie Howard could not be equaled. Although I'd say that Seymour in the later version is more appealing than Merle Oberon was in the 1930s one, and of course McKellen is splendid--more emotionally intense than the wonderful Raymond Massey was scripted to be in the 1930s version.

Tale of Two Cities with Colman, Edna May Oliver as the perfect Miss Pross, and all the rest was heartwrenching. Apparently Colman declined to portray both Sidney Carton and Charles Darnay because he had just played a dual role in The Prisoner of Zenda (another one for the swoon list--the best adaptation of that book ever), so they got someone who looked sort of like him as Darnay. Colman was beyond spectacular. Yes, the ending of that film destroys me every time. But then, if I get out the book and turn to the last page and start reading there, I start crying. Just from that page alone. There aren't many better exemplars of "But be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

For Dickens viewing this year, the Colman Tale is a splendid choice. The Hollywood David Copperfield is also good. I think Freddie Bartholomew is one of the the best child actors ever. Again we have the benefit of the outstanding Edna May Oliver, here as Betsey Trotwood. Basil Rathbone (>shudder<) can't be bettered as Mr. Murdstone. I'd hide under the bed to get away from him. And the choice of W.C. Fields to play the extravagant Wilkins Micawber is genius.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast