Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Movies Seen the Second (or more) Time Around

Custom Title
    Confession time. I do not make a habit of watching something more than once, don't know why but I feel that once I've seen it, I've seen it. I do, however make a few exceptions. Anything with Fred Astaire because I see something new every time in his dancing.
    There is one movie that I have watched several times. I can feel the cringes...
    Transformers.
    I love the humour, the performances of Shia Le Boeuf and Megan Fox in what could have been lousy roles but most of all, I am fascinated by how the robots "transform" and how they move like hockey players. My husband and friends don't get it!
    Olympia, if you're a Judy Garland fan, watch her in "Pigskin Parade" her first movie. It's hilarious; she wants to sing and nobody wqants to listen to her! The movie is classic something, but I'm not sure what!

Custom Title
    There's never any telling what movie will push one's happy buttons. It could be one with no significance to anyone else (or to any critic). For years I loved a Kurt Russell movie called The Best of Times. It was not a landmark movie, and it even dealt with a football game, a sport that I neither enjoy nor understand. (American football, not soccer.) But I found the film tremendously satisfying nonetheless. Who knows; maybe it was relaxing because it took place in a small town where everyone seemed to like one another (though not in a sugary way). These days my relaxation movie (in addition to Fred Astaire films, like Scrufflet) is Music and Lyrics, with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. I always end up singing the songs.

Football is way easier to understand than skating! LOL

I forgot to list Independence Day... I love to watch that movie when I'm mad with the world, I like cheering for the aliens...

I have anger issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Football is way easier to understand than skating! LOL

I forgot to list Independence Day... I love to watch that movie when I'm mad with the world, I like cheering for the aliens...

I have anger issues!
    Oh, I like that one too, and the soundtrack! Being the music *nut* that I am, I have the soundtracks to a lot of the movies I like, but that's a whole other discussion. When we're @ the movie theater, we're part of the (small) bunch that stays to the end to watch the credits (complete with music listings).

Custom Title
    I'm also a soundtrack nut! I have soundtracks of movies I've never seen. There are many movies I'd never want to see whose soundtracks I love.

Same here! I've bought quite a few soundtracks based on skating programs I've loved!
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 01-18-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Custom Title
    One of my favorite Aaron Copland pieces, a suite from his opera The Tender Land, came to me directly through Sandra Bezic's use of it. And years ago, Rosalyn Sumners skated to Bette Midler's "The Rose," which was completely new to me.

Ah, Copland!

See how figure skating has had an amazing influence on our tastes in music?

Custom Title
    I don't think we've mentioned Nobody's Fool. (There are two movies with this name, but I mean the Paul Newman one.) It's such a warm, eloquent movie, set in a working-class town where the snow never seems to melt. The acting ensemble ranges from longtime character actors to big names taking a splendid supporting role (such as Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffith) to one new young actor who would be huge later on--Philip Seymour Hoffman as a dimwitted cop. At the center of the action are Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy in one of her last roles. I don't think there's an off moment in the whole movie, and yet it's as quiet as a page from someone's diary.

Yes, I know the score from several movies that I've never seen thanks to figure skating.... i.e. the Mission.

Custom Title
    What a great thread. So nice to see "Nobody's Fool" mentioned. That was filmed in my hometown. The big old maroon house that Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffith lived in belonged to my little playmate's grandmother and we played there often.

My movies to watch over and over are not as cerebral as those listed in this thread but I love them. Soapdish is a big favorite due to Kevin Kline and Sally Field (and that wonderful scene in which Field is under a quilt, watching herself on TV with a big bottle of wine on the nightstand (a straw sticking out of the bottle). Tootsie is another favorite, especially Dustin's scenes with his agent and when Tootsie hails a cab and hauls an interloper out of "her" way (I think that person was played by Woody Allen, not sure). Dirty Rotten Scoundrels--love the scenes with "Rupprecht". And Easy Money with Rodney Dangerfield and Joe Pesci.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I have no idea why the films are like to watch over & over are my favorites:

Gandhi - Ben Kingsley is wonderful in it
    My Cousin Vinnie - I can't help laughting when I see it
    The original "It's a wonderful Life" good banker, bad banker, angels & Christmas, and dispair. How could I not lie it.
    The Caine Mutiny - strawberries!
    The Hunt for Red October - this is Mr. Ski's favorite for rewatching

Custom Title
    Those are some impressive classics, Doris. I haven't seen The Caine Mutiny but know that I'll love it when I do. Like you, I love Gandhi. It's one of the best epic biographies I've seen, probably along with Lawrence of Arabia. Gandhi had an even tougher row to hoe, because it depicted so many years of its subject's life, whereas Lawrence showed just the years of World War I or thereabouts. Attenborough did a splendid job of weaving things together so you didn't get the feel of a series of "great moments." And Ben Kingsley was beyond stupendous. Can you imagine how Attenborough felt when he came across this guy? Talk about hitting the jackpot. And then to find out that he was half Indian, so that no one would fuss if he were cast.

One place where Lawrence definitely defeats Gandhi for me, though, is the sound track. That Maurice Jarre score is one of the great pieces of cinematic music of all time. And, of course, the former movie has Omar Sharif at his young, stunning zenith. (....Though Gandhi has a brief but delightful appearance by Ian Charleson. Hmmm.)

I haven't mentioned this one yet, but I October Sky. A friend recommended it to us, and I've recommended it to others in turn.

Custom Title
    To name just a few:
    Das Boot
    My Fair Lady
    Moulin Rouge
    Der Untergang
    Snowwhite and the seven Dwarfs
    Il Barbiere di Sviglia...but that's an opera

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast