Movies Seen the Second (or more) Time Around | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Movies Seen the Second (or more) Time Around

LRK

Record Breaker
My favourite sf is definitely Babylon 5 here's a fan-made tribute video that might give some idea of why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LbdDYVHXM

although it doesn't give all aspects of the show, of course.

(I just discovered that my favourite Jane Eyre video has been blocked in my country - drat it! My favourite Jane Eyre is of course the Timothy Dalton one; I tend to value fidelity to the book in my book adaptations. I wanted to share that too, but now I'm a bit... miffed, and am watching various B5 videos instead to soothe my feelings... )

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
E.g. these movies I have watched multiple times:

Vertigo
Rear Window
To Catch a Thief
Gone with the wind
Third Man
Waterloo Bridge
West Side Story
Dances with wolves
Phantom of the Opera
Casablanca
A Few Good Men
Desirée
Gilda
Some like it hot
Cat On a Hot Tin Roof
Rio Grande
An Affair to Remember
Roman Holiday
Anatomy of a Murder
Man who shot Liberty Valance
A Place in the Sun
Splendor in the Grass

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some more: :biggrin:

Disney's Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 1, 2, 3
West Side Story
Schindler's List
Life is Beautiful
Gigi
Brigadoon
Hairspray (the recent movie version of it)
Oliver
Fiddler on the Roof
The Producers (especially the original), loved the Broadway musical
Fly Away Home
The King's Speech
Amadeus
Shakespeare in Love
Ben Hur
The 10 Commandments
Topsy Turvy
The Pirates of Penzance
Seabiscuit
Rainman
An American in Paris
Driving Miss Daisy
Blades of Glory
Rise
The Jazz Singer (with Neil Diamond) - The critics really skewered this one, but I loved it (along with a bunch of other friends), and the soundtrack is great! I still tear up during the "reconciliation" scene.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
The remake of The Shop Around the Corner is also lots of fun. It's In the Good Old Summertime, and it stars Van Johnson and Judy Garland instead of Jimmy Stewart and I think Margaret Sullavan. While no one can top Jimmy Stewart, Judy Garland is a delight in every musical she was ever in. She is one of the best comediennes ever (no one gets offended better than she does), and of course she has one of the century's great voices. The supporting cast is also wonderful, the usual stable of MGM stalwarts, including S.Z. Sakall (also in Casablanca) taking over the Frank Morgan role of the shop owner.

I've never seen The Strawberry Blonde. It looks like heaps of fun. I've seen all of the other ones you mentioned, LRK, though I would disagree with you about liking the Thin Man sequels better than the first film, solely because the early thirties elegance of Myrna Loy and the debonair William Powell can never be second on any list to me. For one thing, the hairstyles are far superior (well, to me at least). Loy is one of my favorite actresses ever. Trivia point: The young girl in the first Thin Man movie was Maureen O'Sullivan, who was an MGM stalwart and generally played younger sisters. As proof of this, she was also Elizabeth Barrett's younger sister in The Barretts of Wimpole Street, another wonderful film on your list. (Wasn't Charles Laughton terrifying as the father?) Interspersed with those and other films, O'Sullivan also portrayed the best Jane ever, in the best-known Tarzan movies (the ones with Johnny Weissmuller).

Golly, I love old movies.

Let's add three more ensemble comedies to this great vintage list. Two of them both feature Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow as the female stars: Libeled Lady and Wife vs. Secretary. In the former, the male stars were William Powell and Spencer Tracy. In the latter, the male roles were played by Clark Gable and James Stewart. Complete delight for any vintage film buff.

The third vintage group star turn is a lesser-known Cary Grant movie, The Talk of the Town. In it, he and Ronald Colman (try choosing between those two heartthrobs) vie for the attention of Jean Arthur. Better than chocolate!

LRK

Record Breaker
I've seen In the Good Old Summertime, but I've only seen it once - so far! :)

I think you'd enjoy The Strawberry Blonde - it's lots of fun! James Cagney keeps declaring that "I'll take nothing from nobody!", gets into fights, and constantly beaten - and you actually believe it! Now, that's acting. ;) He also learns dentistry - via correspondence course! This, to me, does not sound like the best idea ever. ;) Oh, I love this movie! (sighs happily)

The Barretts on my list is the somewhat "newer" one - from the 50s; I haven't watched the '30s one. But in "my" version the father is played by John Gielgud, and he is truly.... creepy. (Hasty clarification: in this movie, I mean!)

I'd love to watch The Talk of the Town - I don't doubt it's great! And apropos Cary Grant, how could I forget Arsenic and Old Lace - black humour at its best!

And your mention of Ronald Colman reminds me of this excellent adaptation of A Tale of Two Cities:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027075/

"It's a far, far better thing... " Grab your hankie! I actually intend to have this be the version I watch for my Dickens rewatch - I generallly don't go for movies, as they just aren't satisfactory - not long enough; but this is an exception. (ETA I loved this being quoted at the end of TDKR, especially as Gordon pauses, so that I can fill in before he does so: "than I have ever known." It's just... great.)

Whiich reminded me of another great book adaptation - The Scarlet Pimpernel:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025748/

How could I have forgotten?! Leslie Howard - enough said! :)

Last edited:
Ooh, yes, Leslie Howard as the Pimpernel was splendid. It's one of my favorite movies as well. An immortal if ever there was one. The remake (a very nice TV production with Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and a young Ian McKellen as Chauvelin) was of very high quality, but Leslie Howard could not be equaled. Although I'd say that Seymour in the later version is more appealing than Merle Oberon was in the 1930s one, and of course McKellen is splendid--more emotionally intense than the wonderful Raymond Massey was scripted to be in the 1930s version.

Tale of Two Cities with Colman, Edna May Oliver as the perfect Miss Pross, and all the rest was heartwrenching. Apparently Colman declined to portray both Sidney Carton and Charles Darnay because he had just played a dual role in The Prisoner of Zenda (another one for the swoon list--the best adaptation of that book ever), so they got someone who looked sort of like him as Darnay. Colman was beyond spectacular. Yes, the ending of that film destroys me every time. But then, if I get out the book and turn to the last page and start reading there, I start crying. Just from that page alone. There aren't many better exemplars of "But be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

For Dickens viewing this year, the Colman Tale is a splendid choice. The Hollywood David Copperfield is also good. I think Freddie Bartholomew is one of the the best child actors ever. Again we have the benefit of the outstanding Edna May Oliver, here as Betsey Trotwood. Basil Rathbone (>shudder<) can't be bettered as Mr. Murdstone. I'd hide under the bed to get away from him. And the choice of W.C. Fields to play the extravagant Wilkins Micawber is genius.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Confession time. I do not make a habit of watching something more than once, don't know why but I feel that once I've seen it, I've seen it. I do, however make a few exceptions. Anything with Fred Astaire because I see something new every time in his dancing.
There is one movie that I have watched several times. I can feel the cringes...
Transformers.
I love the humour, the performances of Shia Le Boeuf and Megan Fox in what could have been lousy roles but most of all, I am fascinated by how the robots "transform" and how they move like hockey players. My husband and friends don't get it!
Olympia, if you're a Judy Garland fan, watch her in "Pigskin Parade" her first movie. It's hilarious; she wants to sing and nobody wqants to listen to her! The movie is classic something, but I'm not sure what!

There's never any telling what movie will push one's happy buttons. It could be one with no significance to anyone else (or to any critic). For years I loved a Kurt Russell movie called The Best of Times. It was not a landmark movie, and it even dealt with a football game, a sport that I neither enjoy nor understand. (American football, not soccer.) But I found the film tremendously satisfying nonetheless. Who knows; maybe it was relaxing because it took place in a small town where everyone seemed to like one another (though not in a sugary way). These days my relaxation movie (in addition to Fred Astaire films, like Scrufflet) is Music and Lyrics, with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. I always end up singing the songs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Football is way easier to understand than skating! LOL

I forgot to list Independence Day... I love to watch that movie when I'm mad with the world, I like cheering for the aliens...

I have anger issues! :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Football is way easier to understand than skating! LOL

I forgot to list Independence Day... I love to watch that movie when I'm mad with the world, I like cheering for the aliens...

I have anger issues! :laugh:

Oh, I like that one too, and the soundtrack! Being the music *nut* that I am, I have the soundtracks to a lot of the movies I like, but that's a whole other discussion. When we're @ the movie theater, we're part of the (small) bunch that stays to the end to watch the credits (complete with music listings).

I'm also a soundtrack nut! I have soundtracks of movies I've never seen. There are many movies I'd never want to see whose soundtracks I love.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Same here! :biggrin: I've bought quite a few soundtracks based on skating programs I've loved!

Last edited:
One of my favorite Aaron Copland pieces, a suite from his opera The Tender Land, came to me directly through Sandra Bezic's use of it. And years ago, Rosalyn Sumners skated to Bette Midler's "The Rose," which was completely new to me.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, Copland!

See how figure skating has had an amazing influence on our tastes in music? :biggrin:

I don't think we've mentioned Nobody's Fool. (There are two movies with this name, but I mean the Paul Newman one.) It's such a warm, eloquent movie, set in a working-class town where the snow never seems to melt. The acting ensemble ranges from longtime character actors to big names taking a splendid supporting role (such as Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffith) to one new young actor who would be huge later on--Philip Seymour Hoffman as a dimwitted cop. At the center of the action are Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy in one of her last roles. I don't think there's an off moment in the whole movie, and yet it's as quiet as a page from someone's diary.

heyang

Record Breaker
Yes, I know the score from several movies that I've never seen thanks to figure skating.... i.e. the Mission.