Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Eek. That does not seem like a good idea. Hopefully financial considerations aren't weighing into his decision and it's actually supported by his doctors.
    Rudy had his hips replaced in August 2003. After recovering, Galindo continued to tour with COI until it went out of business in 2007

Eek. That does not seem like a good idea. Hopefully financial considerations aren't weighing into his decision and it's actually supported by his doctors.
    he doesn't have the skating schedule he used to, so it should be fine.

Down With It
    So... you're saying Gracie won't make the Olympic team
    No.

However, if she does make the world team and does poorly there...based on the history it won't look good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    I believe the criticism was of the tastelessness of the Gone with the Wind remarks, not the fact of Alissa's terribly unfortunate injury, which is of course something fans will discuss.
    There is a lot of tastelessness that goes on it is in respect to the interpretation; lighten up folks. Let's just leave it folks.

Custom Title
    It will be hard for Alissa to watch nationals on the sideline. I hope she heals and rests well. I still do have concerns about athletes pushing themselves so hard and fast - it is a fine line. You want everyone to do their best and make the team but there are only two spots. Someone has to win and somenoe has to well not be so lucky.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Bit of a pattern - bad luck among US world team members that struggle:

2007 - Czisny 15th at worlds, bombs 2008 Nationals

2008 - Wagner 16th at worlds, bombs SP at Nationals following year

2009 - Czisny 11th at worlds, bombs Nationals following year, missing Olympic team

2010 - Nagasu slips to 7th at worlds, barely misses 2011 team

2011 - Flatt skates on injury to 12th place at worlds, can only muster 6th at Nationals in 2012

2012 - Czisny with epic meltdown at Worlds, injury takes her out of the running in 2013
    Another thing to note is that having a third spot would have only benefited Nagasu in the 2011 case - as she finished 3rd at Nationals that year. For all other cases the third spot would have gone to someone else and the skater in question would still miss out.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Oh. Of course it seemed inevitable but my heart still sank to read that it's official.

I know it's hard because she wanted more but if she doesn't ever get back to competition I hope she learns to be proud of all she accomplished and how hard she fought.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    It will be hard for Alissa to watch nationals on the sideline. I hope she heals and rests well. I still do have concerns about athletes pushing themselves so hard and fast - it is a fine line. You want everyone to do their best and make the team but there are only two spots. Someone has to win and somenoe has to well not be so lucky.
    I suspect Alissa will watch Nationals......from the "sidelines"......but in Omaha.

Custom Title
    that would be tough too - watching in Omaha - I always wonder where do these skaters get their money to go to such events when they aren't competing or whatever.

I got a sweet reply from Alissa to my email message. Anyone else?

Custom Title
    Tell us more, Math!

Custom Title
    According to the USFS announcement, Alissa didn't have surgery to correct the dislocated hip.

But the problem is once you dislocate a joint, it becomes easier for that to happen again. Think Miki Ando and Yuko Kawaguchi, both of whom had multiple incidents of dislocated shoulders. I believe Yuko did have surgery to correct it.

But a dislocated hip is far more problematic than a shoulder dislocation, especially if it follows labrum surgery on the same hip. If the hip can go out that easily (from a wonky jump landing) can additional surgery really prevent it from happening again?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Tell us more, Math!
    She thanked me for the good wishes. I sent her the list of multiple winners of U.S. nationals and she said she was honored and humbled to be among those great champions.

Custom Title
    I feel so sorry to hear about Alissa's terrible injury.
    I sincerely hope that she recovers fully, that she makes no hastes in her rehab, and that she takes enough time as needed, so that this injury does not affect her at all in the future; both on and off ice.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I got a sweet reply from Alissa to my email message. Anyone else?
    No...but then again, probably because I didn't write to her in the first place.

I have in the past, though...and have gotten a (short) response about a month afterwards. Surprising that you guys got one so quickly. Guess she really does read all her fan mail. That's an admirable trait.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast